Cruise Ship Brawl—Aussie Perspective

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea, read about that. Sure am glad I avoided that cruise.
I guess the onboard jail was not big enough to hold the entire family.

I`ve not heard of charges laid in respect of the Carnival Legend incident. The ship entered the fishing port of Eden on the south coast of NSW to put off some 8 persons,they were joined by the rest of a large family party. Reports say the family group had been "picking fights" for days. I imagine patience wore thin.
There was another incident just prior on a P&O ship, which returned to Sydney Harbour to offload onto a Police boat a group of men on a "Buck`s Party", and a lady who I read "glassed"(smashing a glass or bottle into the head or face) one of them and was arrested and charged. Tough cruise, it returned early again to unload an injured passenger, possibly in a fall.
Carnival and P&O are lower priced cruise lines which may offer large groups a discount. We did a short cruise on Carnival Spirit(said to be a better experience than Legend), because of timing to celebrate a birthday, finding some passengers quite different to those we met on Holland America, Norwegian,and Royal Caribbean.

Bruce, I am not quite sure you should be lumping P&O with Carnival. In my experience cruising Carnival (family cruises) and P&O, Holland, RCI, etc. (one of the many benefits living in Florida), I would say P&O are one of the better lines.

So you go on a cruise looking for a fight. Where I'm from buddy, you'd find one you couldn't put on youtube. The more of this stuff I see the less I want to be around people.

Like most places in the world, Oz has its fair share of moronic rednecks.

Yeah, I saw the news report. Jeeze. Humanity at its best....

Bruce, I am not quite sure you should be lumping P&O with Carnival. In my experience cruising Carnival (family cruises) and P&O, Holland, RCI, etc. (one of the many benefits living in Florida), I would say P&O are one of the better lines.
It might be different here. P&O were a major provider of passenger shipping between here and the UK pre the B707 era, had a good reputation, but seem to fill the budget cruise sector now, much like Carnival. They typically operate ships other cruise lines have handed down, some HAL, one Princess, probably others.They had a bad incident couple of years ago when a female passenger died in disturbing circumstances involving GHB being administered.
There are many cruise ships operating under various brands but I understand most or all are owned by Carnival.

Just glad to have confirmed that this wasn’t footage from last year’s TF Florida gathering . . . :D

Cheap cruse ticket and a cheap pre paid all you can drink alcohol tickets got the results it was out to achieve .

Cheap cruse ticket and a cheap pre paid all you can drink alcohol tickets got the results it was out to achieve .

The "cheap" prepaid alcohol beverage package cost $82 per person per day (price has probably increased) on NCL. Must be purchased for the length of the trip and all adults in the cabin must buy if even one does. One needs to consume an average of more than eight drinks a day to gain a financial advantage! :ermm: That's not cheap for a week-long drunk.

Unlike some cruise lines,Carnival does not permit pax bringing any alcohol onboard,whereas some others allow 2 bottles of wine. Cruise lines sometimes offer "free sweeteners",including a drinks package,among others. Fortunately it includes proper coffee too, even so we never consumed the daily limit of (?, I think) 15 drinks.
But,I`m not sure alcohol was a factor here. More likely a "colourful"(Aussie expression, nothing to do with skin colour) Melbourne family.

Last edited:
The best cruise I have been on is the one that begins from my backyard. IMG_2993.jpgIMG_3523.jpg

The new nature TV show " When bogan's attack" coming soon.

Another reason that I just don't do cruises....

Back
Top Bottom