Could be coming your way...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Pending new ordinance from the San Diego Port District:

"No person shall perform In the Water Hull Cleaning on a vessel that is painted or coated with a Copper Based Anti-fouling Paint or Coating identified as an Ablative Paint or Coating.":eek:

What do they paint navy ships with?

Here is an excellent article in Coating Tech.

https://www.paint.org/article/use-copper-based-antifouling-paint-u-s-regulatory-update/

There are many issues as various paints have very different leach rates, some double and even triple that of others. What is being faced is so much copper paint at a single marina or group of marinas that when the water is checked the copper level is way too high. Marina Del Rey is trying to find an approach to get the total copper levels down. I can easily see why San Diego with the number of boats in such a tight proximity would feel the need to do something as a start. Interestingly, they're talking about a moderate step as they're not saying no copper paints, not saying no bottom washing, not say no copper ablatives, but simply saying no bottom washing of copper ablatives. I would think their intent is to see what that does to the levels in the water and see if they need to do more. What might be appropriate for them, may not be elsewhere.

Interestingly, they're talking about a moderate step as they're not saying no copper paints, not saying no bottom washing, not say no copper ablatives, but simply saying no bottom washing of copper ablatives..
They're behind the 8-Ball on prohibiting copper based paints. WA has already done that. But, typical of the way WA does things it only applies to recreational boats 65 feet and under.

Hmmmm, I guess they didn't want to piss off the commercial fishing boat guys and all the yachts owned by the Microsoft Millionaires that are docked in the Seattle area.

They're behind the 8-Ball on prohibiting copper based paints. WA has already done that. But, typical of the way WA does things it only applies to recreational boats 65 feet and under.

Nope, WA delayed the ban on copper paint till 2021. Just had my sailboat done with copper paint a couple months ago.

Nope, WA delayed the ban on copper paint till 2021. Just had my sailboat done with copper paint a couple months ago.

Yes, the article I linked to discussed their delay which had not passed at that time but has now and discussed what they wanted to try to do during the delay.

But, typical of the way WA does things it only applies to recreational boats 65 feet and under.

Hmmmm, I guess they didn't want to piss off the commercial fishing boat guys and all the yachts owned by the Microsoft Millionaires that are docked in the Seattle area.

I need to buy a bigger boat.

It wasn't a big concern for us--Oregon is right across the river and they haven't banned copper based paint......YET.

My WA diver says it’s already illegal to clean bottoms painted with ablative paint. But no need, because whenever I take the boat out, the bottom gets pretty clean.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom