Columbia River Gillnet Fight Starting Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There at least one success story with Fisheries Management in New England. In the early 80's Striped Bass were decimated due to a 16 inch minimum, and no daily catch limit. The minimum length for Striped Bass was raised, eventually to 36 inches and a one per day catch limit. The stocks rebounded and the length has been reduced to 28 inches and I'm not sure of the daily limit, but I'm pretty sure its more than one.

Regulators in Oregon are now alarmed that the fall steelhead run for the Willamette River has been reduced to 800-1000 or less. Sea Lions are decimating the run to extinction. When you have a less than a dozen sea lions 10-15 years ago at the Willamette Falls and now there are about 2 thousand this year this is not attributed to man or the environment, rather to the uncontrol of a predator.

Or they are congregating in the one place where there is still food available. I just don't think we really know.

I'm pretty sure no other species can out-fish humans. I lived in Gloucester (part time) through the 70's as the fisheries collapsed, and all indications are that is was 100% mad-made. There was the equivalent of an arms-race for fishing that ensured complete and total destruction.

For a long time the fishing boats were relatively small (60-90'), had ice not refrigeration, and as result could only catch so much, and could only stay out so long before they needed to get back to port.

Then along came the Japanese and Russian factory trawlers. They were much bigger so could catch and hold much more, had refrigeration so they could preserve the catch indefinitely, and would fish non-stop for months at a time. That was the start of the arms race.

Our response was to start building our own factory trawlers, and catch as fast as the Japanese and Russians. In 10 years, the sea was scraped clean.

Regulation was too slow to respond, and the last thing the fishing industry wanted was regulation. To this day it's common to see bumper stickers that say "National Marine Fisheries. Destroying fishermen their communities since 1976". The 200 mi exclusive economic zone didn't come into existence until 1982, so until then the arms race was taking place in international waters and was a total free-for-all.

When I started spending more time in the PNW I was amazed to see a vibrant fishery. It reminded me of Gloucester in the 70s, and I have always been curious why it has help up better. But it sounds like it's just lagging behind..... I hope it can be corrected and you don't end up like the northeast.

There at least one success story with Fisheries Management in New England. In the early 80's Striped Bass were decimated due to a 16 inch minimum, and no daily catch limit. The minimum length for Striped Bass was raised, eventually to 36 inches and a one per day catch limit. The stocks rebounded and the length has been reduced to 28 inches and I'm not sure of the daily limit, but I'm pretty sure its more than one.

Yes, there have been success stories in fisheries management, but they are almost always recreational fisheries. As mentioned earlier, redfish (red drum) is a prime example. Reds were severely overfished across their range until first Florida and then other states declared them a game fish. Strict catch limits were set and min/max sizes based upon science were also implemented that allowed breeder fish to live. Reds have come back nicely all across the south. I wouldn't even know how to guess the economic value this recreational fishery provides, but I know it is massive. Many multiples more than the commercial fishery was bringing in.

That said, not everyone likes to fish, and people want/need to eat fish. Commercial fishing has a long and proud history in this country and it is sad to see the business collapse. I used to commercial groupler fish with my father up through high school and I later became a tarpon on fly guide, so I feel I've seen both sides to a degree.

The problem with commercial fishing is that technological advances allow us to take more and more fish more and more efficiently. These longliners and huge processing ships just take too much.

The original article is about abolishing commercial gill nets on the Columbia River, not ocean catch. The former Governor abolished the use of gill nets and the commercial fisherman took him to court and won.

We still have nets on the river, until managers closed the entire river to salmon fishing from Pasco down river to Buoy 10.

Funny thing last summer on 2 separate occasions around the Vancouver area. I saw seals grab seagulls from underneath and rip them apart
Not sure if they ate them, but why not fishing was pretty poor in the area at the time . Been noticing over the years less seagulls also; i figured it was because people were not dumping as much garbage into the water.

SeaQ,
Always wondered why seals didn’t have SeaGull dinner. Perhaps it’s not common because they may not like plucking feathers. It would seem to me eating them would be even worse.
But if I was a very hungry seal or similar I’d buck up and deal w the feathers.

California use to have gill netting before the dam system. Within a decade the impact of the dams, even with hatcheries, eliminated so many salmon that gill netting was outlawed (about 1958). Gillnetters became ocean trollers. The small, double ended, wood trollers seen in many old dock scenes were usually built as gillnetters.
The problem isn't sea lions, seals or even gillnets. The problem is too few fish for people, marine mammals, and other fish. 100 years ago seals and sea lions were hunted to near extinction. 50 years ago whales were hunted to near extinction. Since that time salmon, cod, bait fish and many other species were over fished. Now seals, sea lions and whales are making a comeback. Do we want those species? If so they need something to eat. Everything with teeth eats salmon at some size. They also eat other species or their young. Not to mention what millions of birds eat.
We need a lot more fish in the sea. Starting at the bottom of the food chain, small species like herring. Why are we taking herring eggs and shipping them to a foreign country? Those eggs are a national resource.

But it doesn't end there, young of every species, short on luck, become fish food. Not as many cod, salmon and others are spawning because the numbers aren't there anymore. So a portion of their young that was consumed by other fish isn't there. The availability of cod or other species isn't there for the sea lions either.

I was a commercial fisherman that ocean trolled salmon and tuna. Fisherman friends whine about the marine mammals and tell me how much salmon and other fish they eat. I'm really tired of that excuse. Even if we killed millions of the sea lions, it won't solve the problem of too few fish. It's too bad but we either have to address the problem of too few fish or watch the total collapse of the oceans.

I moved out of the NW 20 years ago having spent many years working on the Willamette, Columbia and Snake rivers.
The state game department shut down Wild Salmon breeding grounds in favor of state run hatcheries. Destroying all wild Salmon runs. They allow native Americans to gill net the Columbia without catch restrictions. The sea lions are a huge predatory issue. Sealions eat the bellies out of the salmon leaving the meat for crab bait. Marinas along the Columbia river and coastal towns have “Lost” large sections of their rent paying docks to sea lions. It is against the law to run them off.
Protection of Sea Lions has put the public at risk.
https://youtu.be/SRupvfkOG70

I apologize that I am more of a lurker than an active contributor... but this is an interesting discussion for sure.

It has been said before... but the issue is entirely man-made. The question of seals' involvement is based on accepting where were are currently, and that is actually a man-made state. Yes, there are a lot of seals and they eat a lot of fish... but that impact is really only felt so strongly because of the low base-line fish stock we are seeing in 2018.

The white seabass population in California is a huge success story attributed mainly to the gill-net ban. The first recruitment year after the ban saw a stock of fish that are still being caught today. Every year the average size of seabass we catch down here is going up.

Similar to the striped bass regs back east, we are at a 28" minimum size and 3 per day outside of the most concentrated spawning season where it is 1 per day. But we are rarely taking fish less than 40 lbs anymore, so 1 per day is plenty.

To me, the real issue is downward price pressure. Americans expect cheap and abundant protein. And at current pricing, it is not sustainable for small ma and pop shops. It encourages, perhaps even necessitates factory fishing vessels in order to make profit.

When I was young, we couldn't afford salmon or shrimp. So we ate cube steaks and burgers. Today, salmon and shrimp are $5.99/lb most times I look at the supermarket. That is cheaper than most beef. I am a free market capitalist, so I'd hate to suggest pricing regulations... but I wish there was an educational campaign to teach people that salmon, shrimp, white seabass (which often goes for $32.95/lb at Whole Foods) are resources that are meant to be consumed infrequently and to be respected and never wasted. I.E. luxury items.

When I have a BBQ and buy salmon, most people (myself included) can and will eat nearly a pound of fish. Gluttonous by any definition... and certainly far more protein than any of us need at a sitting.

To me, if I never saw salmon below $10.95 per pound, it wouldn't make a single bit of difference in my life. $15.95 I'd probably only eat what I needed when I wanted to eat salmon. Prices above that I'd consume it rarely and that would probably be the right thing.

Fishermen would need to catch less, because they could sell for a higher price. And I think the fishery would be helped tremendously.

Perhaps an economist can suggest a solution???

Interesting to hear input from various people across N America.

I never liked seals for various reasons, but I don’t think they are the culprit as others have pointed out.

I remember talking to the old timers in the 70’s about their catch in the 40s and 50’s in SoCal. Black Sea bass 6 ft. Tall a mile offshore. Working on sport fishing boats in the 70s through 80s, I only saw one Black Sea bass caught. We had a special needle DFG gave out to pop it’s bladder so it could descend. Everyone stood at the rail hoping it would make it to the bottom and survive. Just another example of how things have changed.

No easy answers. Lots of people, and the demand for protein increases.

True, Fletcher. Stark image of people at the rail hoping for one of the last members of a species to make it.

FWIW, on the good side, I see many black seabass now when I dive down here. Clearly the moratorium on them has worked. But I can't imagine they can recover fast enough to ever be allowed as a target species again.

Last edited:
I'm curious why Alaskan-water fish and crustaceans cost substantially more in Anchorage fish-retail stores than they do in supermarkets of mainland USA.

Having just driven back from Ft. Lauderdale International Boat show via I-95, I agree with the too many people sentiment. Also, too many idiot drivers.
but I'm not volunteering to go first ;)

I apologize that I am more of a lurker than an active contributor... but this is an interesting discussion for sure.

The white seabass population in California is a huge success story attributed mainly to the gill-net ban. The first recruitment year after the ban saw a stock of fish that are still being caught today. Every year the average size of seabass we catch down here is going up.

To me, the real issue is downward price pressure. Americans expect cheap and abundant protein. And at current pricing, it is not sustainable for small ma and pop shops. It encourages, perhaps even necessitates factory fishing vessels in order to make profit.

When I was young, we couldn't afford salmon or shrimp. So we ate cube steaks and burgers. Today, salmon and shrimp are $5.99/lb most times I look at the supermarket. That is cheaper than most beef. I am a free market capitalist, so I'd hate to suggest pricing regulations... but I wish there was an educational campaign to teach people that salmon, shrimp, white seabass (which often goes for $32.95/lb at Whole Foods) are resources that are meant to be consumed infrequently and to be respected and never wasted. I.E. luxury items.

When I have a BBQ and buy salmon, most people (myself included) can and will eat nearly a pound of fish. Gluttonous by any definition... and certainly far more protein than any of us need at a sitting.

To me, if I never saw salmon below $10.95 per pound, it wouldn't make a single bit of difference in my life. $15.95 I'd probably only eat what I needed when I wanted to eat salmon. Prices above that I'd consume it rarely and that would probably be the right thing.

Fishermen would need to catch less, because they could sell for a higher price. And I think the fishery would be helped tremendously.

Perhaps an economist can suggest a solution???

Appears you have not shopped for fish lately.....at least around here. Salmon prices (farmed) $9.99+/#, sea scallops $17+/#, haddock when available $9.99+/#. Yes there are other species in markets selling for less but those in demand, demand premium prices.

I'm curious why Alaskan-water fish and crustaceans cost substantially more in Anchorage fish-retail stores than they do in supermarkets of mainland USA.

Very true!!!I think it has something to do with Alaskans themselves. Most Alaskans go fishing for their own salmon, halibut etc. The seafood market is also geared to the L48 and worldwide.

I'm curious why Alaskan-water fish and crustaceans cost substantially more in Anchorage fish-retail stores than they do in aftermarket of mainland USA.

It is a very peculiar economy. In the "real world" we think of pricing as cost of production + transportation + overhead + profit.

But Alaskans pay all of the above assuming the product is delivered in Seattle. I.e. every pound of fish or gallon of gas consumed in Anchorage is one not delivered in Seattle and the price is set accordingly.

Alaska is a very small market. The bulk of sockeye salmon come out of Bristol Bay. They are either shipped straight over seas or go to Seattle. The sellers would rather move fish in volume and not mess with a small market so any sold here sell at a higher price.
Look at the Jones act and how it impacts Alaska. The only reason it still exists is to line the pockets of lower 48 shippers at Alaska's expense.

We're down in AZ right now and just bought some frozen scallops for $9.99/lb, not on sale, that was the regular price. They also had previously frozen U15 shrimp for $7.99 on sale.

Go figure.

Well, if Alaskans pay more for fish from retailers, at least the state provides them all a subsidy. No such subsidy for me here in California.

Last edited:
Well, if Alaskans pay more for fish from retailers, at least the state provides them all a subsidy. No such subsidy for me here in California.

NO, but as a Cali Resident you are paying a lot of taxes to give others in your state a check!
HOLLYWOOD

Some how folks think the state gives us a ton of money. Average annual pay out is something like $1200. That does not even cover my higher energy costs much less anything else. Don't get me wrong it is better than nothing but it does not come close to offsetting our higher living costs.

DNT,
Why shouldn’t you pay for your cost of living?

Please be careful with your posts.

Harbor Chat: Friendly, professional, informal exchange of "NON-boating" topics. Political comments, weaponry and religious discussions are off-limits in this forum.

Having lived and traveled up there...and been bullied off salmon streams by "locals"... Yeah the thread could go ugly quick.

I already have PMs sent to me loaded for bear so to speak :)

But I think I will bow out.....:eek:

Last edited:
As the OP, this should have been put in the OTDE. Mods, please close.

Some how folks think the state gives us a ton of money. Average annual pay out is something like $1200. That does not even cover my higher energy costs much less anything else. Don't get me wrong it is better than nothing but it does not come close to offsetting our higher living costs.

OK, Alaska pays each resident ONLY $1,200/year.

Alaska has the right and privilege to handle its finances any way it wants. It certainly isn’t our place to disparage how they do it anymore than it is appropriate for us to disparage CA for the way it has chosen to handle its own taxation. I live in a high tax state that hasn’t ever paid me a check for being a resident. My state, my choice.

Just depends on how much federal tax money is spread around and whether it Iis proportional.

So how a state spends it's own money CAN be put under a microscope by residents of other states.

It will never always be fair or perfect......but.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom