Coast Guard boarding: what ID?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjtemplin

(USA-centric post, though perhaps foreign input may be relevant) I've viewed several videos on YouTube where folks have recorded the event of being boarded by the Coast Guard. Seems like they usually ask for driver's license and the boat's documentation. Is a passport a suitable substitute? Seems like a driver's license isn't relevant to the operation of a boat (though I suspect a WA state Boater Education Card doesn't meet state nor federal standards as government-issued ID).

Obviously, it becomes a little murkier when stopped by state/local authorities...

Interesting.

So for BUI your state driver's license is dingged too?

They are really asking for ID. Less than thoughtful law enforcement ask for a drivers license, probably because 99.5% of people when asked for ID present a drivers license.

A passport while proof of identity does not carry all info that law enforcement needs for various reasons. Proof of date of birth for example.

This above is for practical information purposes. Cue the arguments about the (US) constitutionality of the requirement to present anything at all, or if so, what kind, if someone must, but after thirty years of hearing such arguments presented to me in various ways, I’ll pass on engaging on that. [emoji1303]

They are really asking for ID. Less than thoughtful law enforcement ask for a drivers license, probably because 99.5% of people when asked for ID present a drivers license.

A passport while proof of identity does not carry all info that law enforcement needs for various reasons. Proof of date of birth for example.

This above is for practical information purposes. Cue the arguments about the (US) constitutionality of the requirement to present anything at all, or if so, what kind, if someone must, but after thirty years of hearing such arguments presented to me in various ways, I’ll pass on engaging on that. [emoji1303]

Ummm…my U.S. passport has my date of birth. You have something different?

Greetings,
Fellow from WV was stopped by LEO. Officer asked: "You got any ID?" Driver responded " 'bout what?".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the key thing that's on a driver's license and not on a passport is where you live.

I was boarded 2 times by the Coast Guard and was never asked for an ID.

In Connecticut yes

It seems very strange to me that in the USA, one is required to have a photo ID to operate a boat, but a photo ID is not required to vote in National elections. :facepalm:

I have been boarded three times and asked to provide ID all three times. Show them what you have. If they don't like it, they will have to deal with it.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Depends on the state, but in some cases, yes. In some states, a DUI on a bicycle dings your driver's license too, which I think is a bit dumb (as a bicycle doesn't require a license at all). But I guess there's some logic. If someone can't follow the rules of one mode of transport, they're probably not any more responsible with other modes of transport.

Greetings,
Fellow from WV was stopped by LEO. Officer asked: "You got any ID?" Driver responded " 'bout what?".

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Took me a second, but that was funny! :rofl:

Back on topic, we've been boarded twice and they didn't ask for ID. Had to show all boat documentation and did a search, inconvenient but pretty painless.

It seems very strange to me that in the USA, one is required to have a photo ID to operate a boat, but a photo ID is not required to vote in National elections. :facepalm:

I have been boarded three times and asked to provide ID all three times. Show them what you have. If they don't like it, they will have to deal with it.

I'm not aware of any rules that require an ID to operate a boat. Does anyone know of any state laws? Just because they ask for an ID doesn't mean you are required to have one.

I'm not aware of any rules that require an ID to operate a boat. Does anyone know of any state laws? Just because they ask for an ID doesn't mean you are required to have one.

Ok, here in VA, and other states as well, the operator has to have taken a boater safety course and show proof of it. Pretty sure LEO’s will want some kind of picture ID to make sure the boater safety card matches up to the person.

I have been boarded numerous times, and been asked for my fishing license and Documentation and had all of my required equipment checked, but don't recall ever being asked for a photo ID.

That’s because they have robust mechanisms in place, which you don’t have on boats.

I’ve never been asked for an ID on a boat either despite being stopped for checks by the coast guard.

For example in California which is one of the most liberal state basically requires ID when you vote for the first time and certainly when you actually register to vote.

“ California does not require voters to present photo identification. However, some voters may be asked to show a form of identification when voting if they are voting for the first time after registering to vote by mail and did not provide a driver license number, California identification number, or the last four digits of their social security number.[1][2]

The following list of accepted ID was current as of November 2019. Click here for the California Secretary of State page on accepted ID to ensure you have the most current information.

Copy of a recent utility bill
Sample ballot booklet sent from the county elections office to the voter
Document sent to the voter by a government agency
Passport
Driver’s license
Official state identification card
Student identification that includes name and photograph
Note: This page covers identification requirements for those who are already registered to vote. Documents required for voter registration may differ.”

System obviously works as no fraud has been detected in any state, beyond a handful of people voting their dead mother’s ballots!

Now I’m glad the IRS got rid of that biometric scan to pay your taxes. That is too much.

Last edited:
Ok, here in VA, and other states as well, the operator has to have taken a boater safety course and show proof of it. Pretty sure LEO’s will want some kind of picture ID to make sure the boater safety card matches up to the person.

I don't know if there is a requirement for a picture ID. VA allows 14 year olds with a boating card to operate boats. Regarding ID's, from the boat-ed.com website, "You are not required to have a state driver’s license in order to obtain a Boater Education Card."

Jim

I don't know if there is a requirement for a picture ID. VA allows 14 year olds with a boating card to operate boats. Regarding ID's, from the boat-ed.com website, "You are not required to have a state driver’s license in order to obtain a Boater Education Card."

Jim

Didn’t say there was a requirement. Just saying the LEO might ask for some ID to prove the safety card belongs to the person. I’m a pro active kind of guy and I want to be ready for any scenario. I even take photos of important docs to keep on my phone. You just never know when you might need them.

Has anyone actually discussed this with an LEO as to their position on this matter?

Should it not be proper to just have a valid photo ID on your person and present it to an official (as a courtesy, if not asked) just for general purposes? In case of accident? death? Filing a report of any kind?

But if you do not possess a driver's license you were subject to less penalty than someone who does. Doesn't seem fair to me

Greetings,
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Friend receiving a traffic ticket, officer marks the applicable offence box with an "X". Friend says: "No Officer, you sign it at the bottom". Ended badly.

Has anyone actually discussed this with an LEO as to their position on this matter?

We’ll I’m not a spokesperson for every marine patrol officer in the country but I’ll speak for myself and my agency and my experience also working cooperatively with USCG as well as RCMP during special enforcement initiatives:

No ID for inspections. Yes ID for violations. If person refused to present ID we generally followed the law on such matters from the state we happened to be working in, or found a way around the problem.

USCG has no jurisdiction about boating safety certificates.

Any usually accepted ID is probably good enough if all paperwork agrrees and checks out. I D may be more for warrants than vessel operation.

I D may be more for warrants than vessel operation.

And there is where your Civil Rights begin. The United States of America is not a "show me your papers" Country. The Supreme Court Ruling of Terry V Ohio basically sets the Laws in all States that Law enforcement may only demand ID if they can articulate a crime for which they suspect you have committed, are about to commit, or are in the process of committing. Suspicious behavior is not a crime.

Just like " anything you say can and will be used against you" applies when arrested, you do not have to answer questions by Police. You have the same rights as a citizen or resident when not arrested as if you are arrested regarding questions. If there are warrants out for your arrest, you are not obliged to provide Identification that might result in your arrest.

Being a passenger on a boat is not a crime. In the States with Laws governing Boat operation, the operator may need to produce ID. If you are Fishing in a State that requires a license, and you are fishing, you need to produce a license.

I'm not exactly sure about being in international waters, but I doubt any State Law Enforcement has jurisdiction. Again, I don't know these Laws, but the USCG may have the right to ID in International waters just as the can search your vessel.

In my 50 years of boat operation I have been stopped a few times, and the USCG are by far the most professional. Here in Florida there are more than a dozen agencies that operate boats and may stop a boater for various reasons.

I am not a Lawyer, but living in a "Free" Country involves having rights, and that's a difficult and frustration fine line at times, but the price we pay for Freedom and worth it IMHO

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/392/1/

:socool:

There are exceptions. For example, those rights don’t apply at airports. That’s why TSA will abd does ask to see your identification at airports, for example.

Last edited:
30 years boating all around puget sound and fishing se alaska i've never been boarded. what are the circumstances that instigated being boarded?

For me a few times for "safety check" and a few to check for fishing licenses and to check fish and lobster counts/size. Not a big deal over 50 years, and I actually knew quite a few Marine Patrol as I was one of their vendors. Never any issues, I don't believe I was ever asked for ID.

In the FL Keys there are channels from the Ocean side to the Bay side that create a natural "choke point." A couple of those stops were just outside those channels coming from the Ocean to the Bay after a morning of dragging baits for mahi and stopping on the reef to maybe grab a few lobster. The Marine Patrol would sit just outside the channel and stop boats with rods and outriggers. They would also walk the boat ramps looking in coolers.

Those stops were in the CC fishing boat, not the Mainship, in 11 years of owning her never been stopped while operating her.

:socool:

30 years boating all around puget sound and fishing se alaska i've never been boarded. what are the circumstances that instigated being boarded?

The Coast Guard may board any vessel subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, whether on the high seas, or on waters over which the United States has jurisdiction, to make inquiries, examinations, inspections, searches, seizures, and arrests for the prevention, detection, and suppression of violations of U.S. laws. 14 U.S.C. § 89.

I think the key thing that's on a driver's license and not on a passport is where you live.
And this is where the voice in my head immediately thinks, "Objection, relevance?" If I'm getting boarded by the USCG, let's just assume I'm on the water. Land address is rather irrelevant, up to the point they think they've got me on a violation, and even then, I'm guessing the boat registration has an address. I'd argue the boat's registration address is perfectly sufficient for any follow-up mail correspondence necessary.

Depends on the state, but in some cases, yes. In some states, a DUI on a bicycle dings your driver's license too, which I think is a bit dumb (as a bicycle doesn't require a license at all). But I guess there's some logic. If someone can't follow the rules of one mode of transport, they're probably not any more responsible with other modes of transport.
If someone can't follow the rules of the English language to know when to use and not use an apostrophe, does that carry over to operating a vehicle or vessel? Be careful how far you go with this line of logic. (I'm in no way saying that you used an apostrophe incorrectly, just questioning how far it's reasonable to draw conclusions.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom