Old 05-20-2017, 01:28 AM   #1

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Cell phone coverage map

Has anyone seen a cellphone coverage map of the inside passage? With unlimited coverage Of AT&T and free data in Canada, just wondering where we loose service?
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Guru

City: Vermont
I'm not sure about what's free or included in your roaming plan, but in a nutshell, north of Port NcNeill and all the way to Prince Rupert there is essentially no service except for around Shearwater/Bella Bella. There are probably a few exceptions off the main route, but in general your should plan on no service. It's slightly better once you are in Alaska, but not much.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
They only put cell towers where there are enough people to make it pay. I use Verizon and lower BC is easy in the Strait of Georgia to get data or phone except far from land. Almost nothing on the west side. North of that it's the big port cities only. Also, Alaska is mountainous. Cell is line of sight. If you need full time phone get a satellite. It's not all that expensive if you limit the calls to what's really necessary. Don't give the number to just anybody.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #4
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
We use AT&T. Have not seen any map that shows it well.

I'd say in BC, N of Port Hardy or Blunden Hbr, there's very little except near Bella Bella and Shearwater until you get near Prince Rupert.

Seems to me in SEAK AT&T is available in quite a few, often surprising places. As far out as Elfin Cove, for instance. Generally not in more remote narrow inlets with high terrain surrounding. Sometimes strong enough for text or voice but not data. Often not in an anchorage but just outside of it.
RCook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

City: Northern Ontario
Vessel Name: Chickadee
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Can't help you with the area in question, but I can suggest that you not bother calling the service providers and asking them for an accurate map of coverage. In my experience, they lie through their teeth!
Just as an example, for many years, Rogers and Bell claimed 98% coverage on Manitoulin Island in northern Ontario. In reality, it was closer to 1%.

I would suspect those responders who have been there are correct - would not expect much, if any, coverage in the PNW inside passage. They put cell towers in major population centres, and along major highway corridors. They are not interested in providing service for a few cruisers.
SlowGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #6

City: Snohomish, WA
Vessel Name: NautiBeaver
Vessel Model: Nordlund 68'
Thanks, I remember on my SEAK trip a few years ago, I was shocked to see when I got reception and did not expect it, and shocked when I did not and expected it. Was just curious about a map. So I could mix some business and pleasure while staying connected and planning a trip around access.
nautibeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
If you NEED communication beyond Georgia Strait then you need satellite.
I agree about the provider maps , total fiction.

If you can do without for a couple days or so at a time then maybe you will be ok.

You literally are headed for wilderness with lots of passages, bays , etc. way
Out of any cell range.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote