Car insurance without a car

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboatnow

I recall a post from someone on this forum who mentioned that they carry a car insurance policy that covers them even though they don't have a car. Does anyone do this?

We're going to be selling our last car but would like to maintain a coverage history. Also good for rental cars.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

So called "renters insurance" is available from almost everyone who sells car insurance. Reasonably cheap too.

David

For what purpose? If you're renting a car, you can opt for temporary insurance from the car rental company. If you're borrowing a car, the insurance should follow the car. The only concern would be borrowing an uninsured car, or damaging a borrowed vehicle that has liability only.

Kind of easy.....don't borrow uninsured/under-insured vehicles.

You can pay the $10-20 per day damage waiver, but that just covers collision. Many rental companies do not cover you for liability. They expect you to have your own insurance. Also I would rather my insurance fix my friend's car when I total it and not rely on his insurance!

And finally, consider also buying a low cost home renter's policy. It will provide general liability coverage for day to day liability risks. But it will not cover auto or boat liability risks.

David

I recall a post from someone on this forum who mentioned that they carry a car insurance policy that covers them even though they don't have a car. Does anyone do this?

We're going to be selling our last car but would like to maintain a coverage history. ...Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

We had for maybe 12 years off and on. We were listed as additional drivers on my mom's insurance. No charge and it gave us coverage history. The first time we were out of the country for 6 years. When we returned and went to get car insurance for a new to us used car, an insurance search showed we had been insured with no accidents or DUI's. Our rates were very good compared to a friend who had no history and ended up in a risk pool with much higher premiums. As far as using it for a rental car, we didn't.

Back
Top Bottom