Car Carrier Abandoned After Catching Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlaskaProf

Guru
Vessel Name
boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Make
RAWSON 41
Car Carrier Felicity Ace Abandoned After Catching Fire in Atlantic Ocean

Seeing a pattern here?

This latest incident appears likely to join the ever-growing list of infamous car carrier accidents which include Cougar Ace (stability), Baltic Ace (collision/sinking), Hoegh Osaka (stability), Hoegh Xiamen (fire), Golden Ray (stability), Modern Express (stability), and Sincerity Ace (fire).

OBTW:

Sincerity Ace was owned and managed by Shoei Kisen Kaisha, owner of the Ever Given. :socool:

Last edited:
Here's a good update from YouTube.

Vessel is full of Porsche and VW cars being shipped from Germany.

Jim

And then there's the tragic Estonia, 800+ people killed and 460 cars, Baltic Sea although of course that was a ferry, not a car carrier per se. As I recall the conclusion was that the outer ramp door broke and allowed huge amounts of water to pour into the car deck.

..'Ah........About that $100k 911 you ordered....'

Sinking her was probably the cheapest way out.

..'Ah........About that $100k 911 you ordered....'

At least we can be certain they won't be showing up on the "good deal" market.

"Yeah, the previous owner was a heavy smoker, but otherwise, nearly new."

I’ve always thought that if you are going to lose a boat, do it in deep water, and make sure it sinks completely.

Attachments

• Al Salmy.jpg
    Al Salmy.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 22
No wonder car prices are so high, a large percentage are going underwater.....

Once the Lambo goes "blub blub" it's not gonna get you much on Autotrader. :D
They've apparently had to reopen the Aventador line. They'd shut it down so they could transition to the next model, but apparently the last 15 Aventadors are now swimming with the fish. I guess it made more sense to satisfy those buyers with what they had legitimately bought, rather than making them wait and hope that the next one would be what they wanted.

I’ve always thought that if you are going to lose a boat, do it in deep water, and make sure it sinks completely.

TT, I worked for a gentleman that reminded us of this often when we left port with his boat. He had a a 25,000 dollar deductible on his insurance.

TT, I worked for a gentleman that reminded us of this often when we left port with his boat. He had a a 25,000 dollar deductible on his insurance.

While I've never had an auto stolen, I always hoped if it did happen, the police would fail to recover it. I had a friend whose car was stolen and recovered in less than 2 hours. Insurance refused to total it, took nine months to settle, another 3 to repair so then he could sell it and absorb a huge loss still.

I wonder if other companies will do this or if insurance carriers will take stance?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/45112/car-shipping-giant-bans-used-evs-after-felicity-ace-sinking

Doubt it. Seems like a kneejerk response in a growing market. In this context, it's a disappointment that it'll be a long, long time until there's any hope of discovering the real cause. I doubt that a used EV was the original cause of the fire, and suspect the fire was going quite well (thanks to other gasoline or hybrid cars) before any EVs joined in the party.

I've read several NTSB reports on similar fires. I sense a common thread amongst those reports that poor operational practices, layers of outsourcing, the associated finger-pointing, etc. are a far bigger contributor to these fires than anything else.

Doubt it. Seems like a kneejerk response in a growing market. In this context, it's a disappointment that it'll be a long, long time until there's any hope of discovering the real cause. I doubt that a used EV was the original cause of the fire, and suspect the fire was going quite well (thanks to other gasoline or hybrid cars) before any EVs joined in the party.

I've read several NTSB reports on similar fires. I sense a common thread amongst those reports that poor operational practices, layers of outsourcing, the associated finger-pointing, etc. are a far bigger contributor to these fires than anything else.

Seems kneejerk and diversionary to me. Cause not yet determined so finger pointing just to be doing so.

Why are "new" ok but "used" a nono? Were not the Aventadors new?

Why are "new" ok but "used" a nono? Were not the Aventadors new?

In the days of just ICE (internal combustion engines), the assumption was that a new car wouldn't leak fluids. A used car could have crash damage or engine damage that could cause fluids to spill or spray, and therefore aid a small fire to grow more quickly than if there wasn't a mix of combustible fluids. The loading crew would be expected to inspect each car, and to disconnect the battery after parking it so as to remove the battery as a source of spark/ignition. Used cars might have brake issues that cause the parking brake to not hold, so there's more dependence on chocks.

The Aventadors were new. I suspect they were merely a casualty of unfortunate circumstances.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom