Old 01-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Capt Mark Freeman passes away

For NW folks who may not have heard, Mark Freeman of Fremont Boat and Fremont Tugboat passed away a few days ago after a brief illness. He was 82. The son of well known entrepreneur O.H. 'Doc" Freeman who started the Lake Union business many years ago, Mark was active in keeping up his maritime museum at the Fremont Boat office and was also busy writing books about his career in boats and serving in the Coast Guard. Mark was my uncle on my moms side. He is survived by his wife Margie, and son Eric and his family. RIP Uncle Mark.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Condolences...
Old 01-29-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
It's always sad to see a pioneer pass away. Condolences to you and the rest of the family.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Sad news, condolences.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
[QUOTE=78puget-trawler;518171]For NW folks who may not have heard, Mark Freeman of Fremont Boat and Fremont Tugboat passed away a few days ago after a brief illness. He was 82. The son of well known entrepreneur O.H. 'Doc" Freeman who started the Lake Union business many years ago, Mark was active in keeping up his maritime museum at the Fremont Boat office and was also busy writing books about his career in boats and serving in the Coast Guard. Mark was my uncle on my moms side. He is survived by his wife Margie, and son Eric and his family. RIP Uncle Mark.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for your loss! At one time I had book marked the Fremont Boat site due to the running history I believe your uncle posted, if not he some other member of the family. It was fascinating to read the history and old stories. Then for some reason, the whole history and such just disappeared. I sought it and even emailed the site without response to the cause of it being removed.
Were you in position to re-instate this wonderful bit of marine lore, would you? Perhaps you have a family contact that might provide the site history. I believe there are many a 'Tugaholic' on the Trawler Forum that would access such a trove of Lake Union/Puget Sound history.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Guru

Hi Al, I think you are referring to the blog called 'Rudderless' which I don't seem to able to find. The Fremont Tugboat site doesn't come up either, but I did see it on Facebook, which I don't play around on. I have no control over their site operations, I can only suggest you email them and ask how to access the blog again, because I don't know. But again, they do maintain a presence on Facebook so perhaps what you are looking for is there. It was Mark who posted all the info there, I contributed to the blog a few times with tug tales of my own, but not for some time. Thanks for the thoughts.

Scott
Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #7

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Sad news. I worked just down the street, (Fisheries Supply), and I think we even shared the same dentist at one time.
He will be missed.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Hi Al, I think you are referring to the blog called 'Rudderless' which I don't seem to able to find. The Fremont Tugboat site doesn't come up either, but I did see it on Facebook, which I don't play around on. I have no control over their site operations, I can only suggest you email them and ask how to access the blog again, because I don't know. But again, they do maintain a presence on Facebook so perhaps what you are looking for is there. It was Mark who posted all the info there, I contributed to the blog a few times with tug tales of my own, but not for some time. Thanks for the thoughts.

Scott
Scott, Appears it will be a dead end. I don't do Facebook or other forms of current communications. Still write in cursive.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Guru

I asked my brother and he confirmed that its gone as well. Not sure why, but I believe it was down before Mark died. But I do seem to remember the site was hacked a while back and it was really fouled up afterwards, that may be why it never got up again, too much trouble to untangle it all. Thanks hackers!! Jerks!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Guru

Mark Freeman Obituary - Seattle, WA | The Seattle Times
Old 02-14-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Wonderful, just plain wonderful to read the history of a happy waterfront character with such a honorable career history. Thanks for sharing

Al-Ketchikan
Old 02-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
Guru

Thanks Al. He was indeed a character!