Bug out Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best plan for the scenario you're asking about is to have a reliable handgun to shoot those you love and then yourself, there ain't no place to hide. The worst case would be survival at all, nothing that supports human existence would remain and the violent moonscape you'd be surrounded by wouldn't be very enticing. Also being on a boat wouldn't contribute much safety as many nuclear targets are on, in or near the water and a detonating nuclear warhead will create a local sea condition that would be impossible for smaller vessels to survive. In reality it would appear much more productive to work for a peaceful world rather than hide somewhere with your guns and years supply of MRE's.

You have convinced me!

I am writing a very stern letter to Russia, China, North Korea and Iran demanding that they straighten up. (Failing that, a more strongly worded letter to follow). :D

You have convinced me!

I am writing a very stern letter to Russia, China, North Korea and Iran demanding that they straighten up. (Failing that, a more strongly worded letter to follow). :D

You're probably right, in view of responses like yours world peace is probably an impossibility. Evolution disproved, please duck and cover.

Sheesh some of these posts are depressing. So much for human resilience. As long as we're being all fatalistic, I guess if more people shoot themselves in the head rather than live on a radioactive moonscape, that leaves more hidden and surviving pockets of food and supplies for the rest of us who choose to stick it out in a Mad Max kind of existence. And I might find a surviving KK 55 Expedition I can claim. Moonscape -- heck, that's a good part of North Dakota in February.

Sheesh some of these posts are depressing. So much for human resilience. As long as we're being all fatalistic, I guess if more people shoot themselves in the head rather than live on a radioactive moonscape, that leaves more hidden and surviving pockets of food and supplies for the rest of us who choose to stick it out in a Mad Max kind of existence. And I might find a surviving KK 55 Expedition I can claim. Moonscape -- heck, that's a good part of North Dakota in February.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the effects of radiation poisoning, on you and the environment you may want to try surviving in. Under those circumstances a bullet in the head would be a blessed relief. By the way in a nuclear exchange I think the future existence of N. Dakota looks more like a smoking, lifeless hole than a lunar landscape. As I stated elsewhere the only rational way forward is to promote peace, an idea that seems to be a joke to some and a salvation for the Earth to others.

If you really want to depress yourself, Google the studies about what the exchange of half the nuclear arsenals between the US and Russia would likely wreak. The good news: radiation might not kill everybody. But so much dust and ash would be thrown into the atmosphere it would take a decade for anything resembling a normal climate to reappear. No growing season as we know it, freezes in July and no more ozone layer. Some pockets of Homo Sapiens would likely survive but those incinerated immediately would be the lucky ones. Seems like something to avoid.

If you really want to depress yourself, Google the studies about what the exchange of half the nuclear arsenals between the US and Russia would likely wreak. The good news: radiation might not kill everybody. But so much dust and ash would be thrown into the atmosphere it would take a decade for anything resembling a normal climate to reappear. No growing season as we know it, freezes in July and no more ozone layer. Some pockets of Homo Sapiens would likely survive but those incinerated immediately would be the lucky ones. Seems like something to avoid.

Depressing it may be but I believe the realities need to be displayed to all as many don't seem to see the seriousness of this. The idea that you could hide or even prepare is ludicrous, the results of an all out nuclear war would make human life untenable for survivors.

Post WWIII the southern hemisphere would remain essentially undamaged, physically.
South America, Africa, India, Indonesia, and if they stay out of it, China would
retain their infrastructure and billions of resourceful people. They would adapt.

Yes, the world as we know it would be gone but the majority of humans
would hopefully learn from our folly.:peace:

Post WWIII the southern hemisphere would remain essentially undamaged, physically.
South America, Africa, India, Indonesia, and if they stay out of it, China would
retain their infrastructure and billions of resourceful people. They would adapt.

"undamaged"? You mean aside from a ten year long winter, no sunshine or growing season and lethal doses of radiation for at least five years? Plus the last time I looked China was in the northern hemisphere and downwind from one of the two major targets. This notion that radiation won't pass south of the equator is false as any time spent looking at surface analyses will show. I'm sticking with the idea that nuclear war would be unpleasant and worthy of avoiding.

"undamaged"? You mean aside from a ten year long winter, no sunshine or growing season and lethal doses of radiation for at least five years? Plus the last time I looked China was in the northern hemisphere and downwind from one of the two major targets. This notion that radiation won't pass south of the equator is false as any time spent looking at surface analyses will show. I'm sticking with the idea that nuclear war would be unpleasant and worthy of avoiding.

I told my wife about the effects of nuclear winter (if you manage to survive the direct/indirect effect of the bombs and resulting radiation) and she was not aware of it. I doubt many are...

Not prepping. Praying.

I told my wife about the effects of nuclear winter (if you manage to survive the direct/indirect effect of the bombs and resulting radiation) and she was not aware of it. I doubt many are...

Not prepping. Praying.

That's sort of the issue with many things like nuclear war and climate change, most are unaware of the likely outcomes or in a state of denial.

Prep for exactly what?

For some 3-6 month event like a pandemic or such, a trawler, watermaker, lots of freeze dried food, and a fishing rod. Solar. Find a quiet cove to hole up in.

But longer timeframe, and distance involved, a sailboat with similar supplies.

Nukes? Forget it.

Greetings,
A line from the Hindu sacred text the Bhagavad-Gitatext quoted by Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the first nuclear test July 16th, 1945: “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds”.

On an equally cheerful note, a quote attributed to Al Einstein...“I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

I'm minimally tempted take up drinking again.

iu

That's sort of the issue with many things like nuclear war and climate change, most are unaware of the likely outcomes or in a state of denial.
No one denies that a nuclear war would be a worldwide disaster.
In the interest of accuracy I pointed out that the majority of humans would be
able to survive the initial effects and adapt to the new 'normal' with most of their
physical world intact. Radioactive fallout is survivable with very basic technology.

The 80's weather models that gave rise to the term 'nuclear winter' are no longer
considered to have been accurate. There will certainly be negative effects but the
idea that Earth will be plunged into 10 years of ice-age should not be accepted as
gospel truth. Don't get me wrong, if that prevents the war from happening, great!

I guess I'm on the side of 'what if the prediction is wrong?'

Still need to get the 12 gauge marine shotgun for the boat.

What's a "marine" shotgun?

What's a "marine" shotgun?

Stainless steel. Mossberg makes a nice 12ga at a reasonable price. Got one in a dry-bag somewhere in my garage.

Here's another:

Attachments

• doggies.JPG
    doggies.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Greetings,
A line from the Hindu sacred text the Bhagavad-Gitatext quoted by Robert Oppenheimer upon witnessing the first nuclear test July 16th, 1945: “Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds”.

On an equally cheerful note, a quote attributed to Al Einstein...“I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

I'm minimally tempted take up drinking again.

iu

George Carlin said "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity", drinking appears to be a reasonable alternative.

No one denies that a nuclear war would be a worldwide disaster.

In the interest of accuracy I pointed out that the majority of humans would be

able to survive the initial effects and adapt to the new 'normal' with most of their

physical world intact. Radioactive fallout is survivable with very basic technology.

The 80's weather models that gave rise to the term 'nuclear winter' are no longer

considered to have been accurate. There will certainly be negative effects but the

idea that Earth will be plunged into 10 years of ice-age should not be accepted as

gospel truth. Don't get me wrong, if that prevents the war from happening, great!

I guess I'm on the side of 'what if the prediction is wrong?'
The other 80s mentality is that Russian nukes will actually function as they were designed to.

It takes a lot of upkeep to ensure the functionality of these special weapons. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of deferred maintenance of said weapons.

I was a cold war submariner in the US Navy. Many years later I was fortunate to work with ex-Soviet military members. When we would sit around and compare our youthful days in the military, I always wondered what the hell were we ever worried about. Very little training, non-functional equipment, lousy morale. The complete opposite of my time in service.

Oh. And as far as a bug out boat goes. Keep everything you need in your trawler. When the SHTF, transfer it all to the biggest sailboat in your marina, and cast off lines.

Last edited:
I read an article yesterday that said the three largest nuclear arsenals belong to USA, russia, followed by banger in Washington.

Since that was in mainstream media I imagine that Kitsap county is likely a Target.

I have a funny feeling if indeed big bombs are going off that much of our pristine pnw will suffer as a result along with the rest of the planet

The good news is global warming will no longer be in the news.

Although I imagine covid-19 will have a new glowing variant.

I'm sure glad this is not a political website

I thought you were talking about a 100 lbs of ... BEER (wheat).

We are east of New York City but across the Sound from the New London sub base so we are pretty much toast if the SHTF.

Sadly, electromagnetic pulse (EMP) from nuclear bomb would fry all the electronics on your boat so the engine wouldn't start to get you out of town!

Mankind has no history of learning from folly. The CF in Ukraine, along with many other recent examples, proves it.

Apparently you're unfamiliar with the effects of radiation poisoning, on you and the environment you may want to try surviving in. Under those circumstances a bullet in the head would be a blessed relief. By the way in a nuclear exchange I think the future existence of N. Dakota looks more like a smoking, lifeless hole than a lunar landscape. As I stated elsewhere the only rational way forward is to promote peace, an idea that seems to be a joke to some and a salvation for the Earth to others.

The bomb was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6 1945

The lights came back on in the Ujina area on 7 August, and around Hiroshima railway station a day later. Power was restored to 30% of homes that had escaped fire damage, and to all households by the end of November 1945, according to records kept by the Hiroshima Peace Institute.

In Hiroshima, all utilities and transportation services were disrupted for varying lengths of time. In general however services were restored about as rapidly as they could be used by the depleted population. Through railroad service was in order in Hiroshima on 8 August, and electric power was available in most of the surviving parts on 7 August, the day after the bombing. The reservoir of the city was not damaged, being nearly 2 miles from X. However, 70,000 breaks in water pipes in buildings and dwellings were caused by the blast and fire effects. Rolling transportation suffered extensive damage. The damage to railroad tracks, and roads was comparatively small, however. The electric power transmission and distribution systems were badly wrecked. The telephone system was approximately 80% damaged, and no service was restored until 15 August.

The bomb sites were intensely radioactive for the first few hours after the explosions, but thereafter the danger diminished rapidly.

The bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki produced their share of residual radiation, but it didn't stick around long, for two reasons. First, both bombs were detonated more than 500 meters above street level so as to wreak maximum destruction (surrounding buildings would have blocked much of the force of ground-level explosions). That limited surface contamination, since most of the radioactive debris was carried off in the mushroom cloud instead of being embedded in the earth. There was plenty of lethal fallout in the form of "ashes of death" and "black rain," but it was spread over a fairly wide area.

Second, most of the radionuclides had brief half-lives — some lasting just minutes. The bomb sites were intensely radioactive for the first few hours after the explosions, but thereafter the danger diminished rapidly. American scientists sweeping Hiroshima with Geiger counters a month after the explosion to see if the area was safe for occupation troops found a devastated city but little radioactivity. Water lilies blackened by the blast had already begun to grow again, suggesting that whatever radioactivity there had been immediately following the blast had quickly dissipated.

Although residual radiation was a relatively minor threat, many of those who survived the blasts had already absorbed the initial radiation doses that would eventually kill or cripple them. Radiation deaths began a week after the bombings and peaked three or four weeks later. People with few apparent injuries would suddenly develop ghastly symptoms — hair loss, purple skin blotches, and bloody discharge from various orifices were among the more obvious — and die soon after. Of the 103,000 people estimated by the U.S. military to have been killed by the bombs, 36,000 died a day or more after the blasts. (Granted, many had multiple injuries and didn’t die of radiation poisoning alone.)

Radiation deaths subsided after seven or eight weeks but latent effects continued to appear for a long time. Fetuses irradiated in the wombs of their mothers were subject to high rates of miscarriage, stillbirth, and birth defects — many kids were retarded or had unusually small heads (microcephaly), stunted growth, or other afflictions. Cases of leukemia surged in 1947 and peaked in the early 1950s. Additional problems included other cancers and blood disorders, cataracts, heavy scarring (keloid), and male sterility. However, no genetic damage was detected in children conceived after the blasts. Oddly enough, notwithstanding

I really don’t think that we will have to worry about a nuke launch, I worry more about the great reset which is beginning to happen now!

A true bug out boat should have mechanical engines -- no computer to get fried by EMF. Even carrying spare ECMs may not work since it seems, at least with my QSM11s, that Cummins will not sell a spare ECM as they need, or at least require, the old ECM to download some of the programming data (things like hours, as I understand it). And you don't get your old ECM back, at least not in functioning condition.

If the boat is close enough to suffer EMF or it's a simple EMP weapon, you will have too many other problems to worry about whether the engines will run.

Living in or near a major target leaves you pretty much screwed.

I true bug-out boat better have some sails and be already moored someplace out of danger. Then, if you survive the initial assault as well as the trip to the boat, you have a bug-outable boat.

Been through the cat five storm up close and very personal. No power and water and internet for weeks and living in an undamaged room in the house. I can handle all of that MUCH better than serious fallout.

I have no interest in living through a nuclear war. In fact, if it were to happen, you can have my 2020 motor yacht. It’s got a full fuel tank and all 5 freezers are full. Note: I don’t think navionics will be up and running. Bring paper charts and a long pole because I believe the sonar will be on the blink.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom