Boeing Banter:Split from Inflatable Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Engineers may not be very creative aesthetically, but they sure are smart.:)

I'd have to disagree. All of the aesthetics you're enamored with were still done by Engineers. :)

So that's why there is a step down into a 757's flight deck...

Hence the expression... "Fall down and you're in a 757... Fall up and you're in a 767". Nearly identical flight decks. Also... the 777 has the same 41 section as a 767 for that same reason, but they migrated to an entirely different layout for the interior. From the outside, they are identical.

I'd have to disagree. All of the aesthetics you're enamored with were still done by Engineers. :)

Right. Design engineers. Not structural engineers or electrical engineers or systems engineers or propulsion engineers or tooling engineers or manufacturing engineers. They're the ones who take a beautiful design from a design engineer--- like the 7E7--- and totally wreck it until all you're left with is something boring if you're lucky--- like the 787--- or something really atrocious if you're not, like the Pontiac Aztec.:)

Eric said--- I have no idea if they put any effort into making them [airplanes] attractive. Hardly any reason for it. When a person books a flight I don't think he or she cares one twit what the airplane looks like.

Yes, passengers do care about what a plane looks like. Survey after survey proves this and it's why the 747 is still the most recognized and favorite plane among passengers even if its era is over. It's why the highway sign symbol for an international airport in the US and other countries is a 747 silhouette. It's why the initial design for the 787 had a streamlined hump in the forward body, to capitalize on the recognition factor that the 747 has proved is there among the flying public.

The CEO of Qantas told me back when that airline started ordering its 737s with winglets that one of the reasons that influenced their decision to get winglets on all their 737s even though the ones in short haul service didn't benefit from them all that much was that passengers were commenting over and over that the winglets made the planes look "cool" and "sophisticated," "modern," and "high-tech." This was a huge branding and image boost for Qantas and the CEO said that this made it well worth the extra cost of putting winglets on all their planes.

So yes, we put a hell of a lot of effort into making the plane look attractive, particularly the interior.

And aesthetics are fiercely contested at times. There were major knock-down-drag-out fights between the marketing and sales people, the airlines, and the design engineers on the final shape of the 787. Some of them, like the elimination of the hump, were won by the design engineers. Some of them, like the shape of the tail, were won, or at least partly won, by the marketing and sales folks. And some of them, like the dimensions of the cabin, were won by the airlines. We video taped a lot of these meetings and it was absolutely fascinating to hear the reasons--- both practical and psychological, objective and subjective---- given by all sides in support of their arguments. Probably the most interesting and educational thing I've ever been witness to.

I even had a teeny, tiny role in it. I'm the reason the flowing speed stripe in the company livery goes over the top of the horizontal stabilizer instead of under it.

There are aesthetics, too, in the shape of flight deck windows, the fairings, even the look of the wing light assemblies. There are certainly aerodynamic and structural considerations, too, with these things. But there are a lot of ways to meet those requirements with a wing light assembly, for example. You can make them look ugly or you can make them look nice. They will be functional either way. But the design engineers generally try to make them look nice for their own satisfaction if nothing else.

Last edited:
They're the ones who take a beautiful design from a design engineer--- like the 7E7--- and totally wreck it

I think you need to get to know the job role better then. DE's are in every field and every function at Boeing. There is no "hand off" like you're describing where some DE's vision is shattered by some "non" design engineer. They are all DE's. If you see something you don't like, 99.9% of it came from concept like that. It wasn't changed on the floor somewhere. Conceptual design is complete LONG before any DE gets a drawing checked out.

You certainly seem to have a low opinion of the folks that do all this great work. I guess it takes more to appreciate the way an engineer thinks.

You certainly seem to have a low opinion of the folks that do all this great work.

I didn't used to. Certainly not on the 75, 76, 77, and 73 programs. But the 787 and 747-8 programs have altered a lot of people's (and customers') opinions about the ability of not just our own engineers but the entire US engineering field these days. This subject is a major concern at the executive levels of a lot of companies right now, not just ours.

Last edited:
I didn't used to. Certainly not on the 75, 76, 77, and 73 programs. But the 787 and 747-8 programs have altered a lot of people's (and customers') opinions about the ability of not just our own engineers but the entire US engineering field these days.

You've lost me there. The 747-8 is a very economical way to jump into the last remnants of the A380 market with limited re-tooling. The 737-Max is gonna be another workhorse, and the 777-9X will also be a very economical update to the 777 series. The next airplane design will be a game-changer... I promise you that.

The stodgy Boeing design philosophy also keeps us much safer. It's the discipline of Boeing engineers whose concern about side sticks controllers lack of visual and physical feedback that's kept us from having Air France type tragedies with our fly by wire aircraft as well.

We're a very conservative company, with very disciplined and time-proven engineering methods. It's one of the main reasons we are the leading producer of commercial and military aircraft in the world.

The 747-8 Intercontinental is a great passenger plane who's era is over. It's too bad, as I think it's by far the best of the 747 lineage, but the market is voting with its feet, most of which are walking the other way. If we'd have done this program 15 years ago it would probably have been a very different story.

On top of the market shift, the 747-8 suffered from engineering mistakes that resulted in costly delays, mistakes that should not have happened given our long experience with the basic airplane.

Perhaps the sole value of the 747-8 program will have been the elevation of Elizabeth Lund to the position of program director. Based on my experience with her, if she moves on to become BCA CEO that will be a Very Good thing.

The 787 is well on it's way to becoming the program that never made any money. Its engineering and manufacturing screw ups have made it unlikely that anybody will see a profit from this thing, at least anybody alive today. And in stark contrast to the 76, 75 and 77, which entered revenue service with scarcely a hiccup, the 787 continues to act like an experimental flight test plane after delivery. In the "old days," I don't think Boeing would ever have allowed a plane at this stage of development to be delivered into revenue service, but that's just speculation on my part.

I know a fair number of people who fly it, and this seems to be their opinion, as well.

The 737 MAX will be a great plane simply because it's based on such a great plane and it's a plane of the type the market can't get enough of now and for the foreseeable future.

I have no doubt our next airplane concept will be a game changer, just as the 787's concept was a game changer. But unless the company can do something about its ebbing engineering base, the next program may be doomed to follow in the same footsteps as the 787. Jim Albaugh recognized this threat and was actively trying to do something about rebuilding our engineering core. His stated philosophy and goals ran quite contrary to what we had been hearing from HQ for a long time. But it's a very long-term undertaking and whether his efforts will continue now that he's gone is anybody's guess at this point.

And it is not a problem exclusive to Boeing. It's a problem faced by just about every manufacturing company that depends upon engineering expertise for its success.

The alternative is to do what we did with the 787 and farm it out to companies they think have the engineering expertise to pull it off. Is that the future of product design and manufacturing in this country?

Only time will tell.

It's interesting that Airbus is announcing delays with their A350 program, too. Couple this with the inability to bring complex projects from airplanes to bridges to tunnels to you name it to completion on time, on budget, and working properly, it makes one wonder if we have simply reached the point where our imagination is far greater than our abilities. Particularly our engineering abilities as that's where all the problems in these big, complex projects seem to be rooted.

So to answer your earlier comment, you're right. My regard for engineers of the kinds that create airplanes and bridges and tunnels and buildings and so on has been dwindling steadily since the mid-1990s as the news is filled with more and more stories of screw ups, delays, and massive cost overruns. Some due to poor program management and decisions, no question. But more and more due to design and engineering mistakes. Particularly in this country and in Europe.

Software engineers are a different story, or course, because that's where the interest and attraction is these days.

They look nice when they fly over the boat.

Marin,

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of a 757 lying around would ya?

Maybe a close up of the "engines"?

the other Al

Marin,

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of a 757 lying around would ya?

We've got thousands of them but I don't have any at home. Google "Boeing 757" and select "Images" and you'll get more 757 pictures than you'd ever want.:)

Marin wrote;

"Yes, passengers do care about what a plane looks like. Survey after survey proves this and it's why the 747 is still the most recognized and favorite plane among passengers even if its era is over."

Can't buy that either Marin. The 747 it's not pretty. The nose, windshield and especially that hump backed fuselage top ... no no not good looking. The DC9 was better looking but those new flex wing Boeing planes ARE beautiful. As is the DC3.

Marin wrote;

Can't buy that either Marin. The 747 it's not pretty. The nose, windshield and especially that hump backed fuselage top ... no no not good looking.

Doesn't matter if you buy it or not. It's what the world thinks, and, as I said before, years and years of passenger surveys say it's so. Still the most loved plane by passengers, and still the most beautiful plane, as stated by passengers the world over.

And the 747-8 is even cooler. I remember walking past the very first one right after wing/body join was complete. It was a FREAKING MONSTER of an airplane. It's only a bit over 18 feet longer, but was really a big green monster. Neat airplane.

They flew it at over a MILLION pounds a few years ago. :)

Yes, there is something about the -8 that makes it seem even larger than it is, even unpainted. The shape and proportions just ll work in a way they didn't with the -400. Add in the new wing and it's a real beauty. I wish the sales would pick up because it's a very cool plane. Particulary the interior.

Doesn't matter if you buy it or not. It's what the world thinks, and, as I said before, years and years of passenger surveys say it's so. Still the most loved plane by passengers, and still the most beautiful plane, as stated by passengers the world over.

I agree with many boats. But having said that i must say the 747 is a nice smooth riding comfortable dependable aircraft even if it is butt ugly.

"It's what the world thinks..."

There is a world beyond Boeing and many of its occupants think otherwise:

Poll: Best Looking Airliner - SkyscraperCity

There are polls and there are surveys. The surveys conducted by the travel industry are far more comprehensive than most polls. The surveys are conducted over long periods of time--- a year or more sometimes--- and with passengers worldwide. So far, or at least the last time I saw a compilation of these surveys which was sometime earlier this year, the 747 still led the bunch as most popular and best looking. Not by as much as it used to, but it was still the most preferred airplane by travelers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom