Bellingham,WA. Climate Action Task Force

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocanvas

Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
Bellingham, WA. "Climate Action Task Force" voted 10/16/19 yes to forward recommendations to the Bellingham City Council no "Public transportation vehicles" city or privately owned fossil fuel vehicles within the city limits of the city of Bellingham, WA. among other radicle mandates.

If the city adopts these recommendations into law there are going to be a lot of empty spaces "Public transportation vehicles" unless they are electric in the Port of Bellingham. But then they are just recommendations. So don't worry about it.

Will private vehicles be next ?

Last edited:
I didn’t see anything published yet on the Task Force website about that proposal. It may show up soon.

Bellingham, WA. "Climate Action Task Force" voted 10/16/19 yes to forward recommendations to the Bellingham City Council no fossil fuel vehicles within the city limits of the city of Bellingham, WA. among other radicle mandates.

If the city adopts these recommendations into law there are going to be a lot of empty spaces in the Port of Bellingham. But then they are just recommendations. So don't worry about it.

It's a feel good proposal for the climate activists- but, as there are no viable solutions to replace trucks, trains, and ships that move commerce in and out of Bellingham, it's a feel good pipe dream at best.

Not that I am against making REASONABLE efforts to combat climate change, but I think our efforts may be in vain after seeing a documentary on the "tube" the other day.
The magnetic north pole is moving at an alarming rate and it seems to be accelerating. According to the show, scientific evidence has been gathered showing that if this continues, it will effectively move the equator north to about Chicago, also putting most of Europe into the "deep freeze". The planet is basically "tilting".
This show stated that the cause is two fold and has little to nothing to do with fossil fuels. First, India is removing huge amounts of water from the aquafer (sic), and China has in the last 3 years, poured more concrete than the US has done in the entire 20th century. Apparently this "shift in mass" (percentage wise as small as it is) is what is accounting for the earth's changing spin.
If there is truth to this, then "banning fossil fuel" vehicles may have little to no impact on the overall climate change resulting from the situation described in the above referenced documentary.

Not that I am against making REASONABLE efforts to combat climate change, but I think our efforts may be in vain after seeing a documentary on the "tube" the other day.
The magnetic north pole is moving at an alarming rate and it seems to be accelerating. According to the show, scientific evidence has been gathered showing that if this continues, it will effectively move the equator north to about Chicago, also putting most of Europe into the "deep freeze". The planet is basically "tilting".
This show stated that the cause is two fold and has little to nothing to do with fossil fuels. First, India is removing huge amounts of water from the aquafer (sic), and China has in the last 3 years, poured more concrete than the US has done in the entire 20th century. Apparently this "shift in mass" (percentage wise as small as it is) is what is accounting for the earth's changing spin.
If there is truth to this, then "banning fossil fuel" vehicles may have little to no impact on the overall climate change resulting from the situation described in the above referenced documentary.

Where would the new North Pole be then ?

Bellingham, WA. "Climate Action Task Force" voted 10/16/19 yes to forward recommendations to the Bellingham City Council no fossil fuel vehicles within the city limits of the city of Bellingham, WA. among other radicle mandates.

If the city adopts these recommendations into law there are going to be a lot of empty spaces in the Port of Bellingham. But then they are just recommendations. So don't worry about it.
So "Virtue Signaling" is alive and well in old Bellingham??:dance:

Are not electric vehicles powered by electricity made from burning fossil fuels? (except for nuclear). :banghead::banghead:

The proposal is laughable...and dangerous. The sheep in western Washington follow the most radical “ideas” that are proposed. This area is literally crazy.

It's a feel good proposal for the climate activists- but, as there are no viable solutions to replace trucks, trains, and ships that move commerce in and out of Bellingham, it's a feel good pipe dream at best.
Do the members of the "Task Force" get paid with taxpayers dollars?:eek:

Are not electric vehicles powered by electricity made from burning fossil fuels? (except for nuclear). :banghead::banghead:
Most of our electrical power is generated via hydro power...and the people who propose such radical ideas as this also demand the dams be removed to save salmon. I’m not kidding. You can’t debate these people. If you don’t agree with them you are (insert epithet here).

If I remember correctly, the north pole would move towards Europe.

As far as electric vehicles goes, what would happen if all of us in North America moved to them in the very short term? What would happen (and the environmental impact in a short time frame) to our old, now no use fossil fuel vehicles? Do we have the electrical grid capability to handle the greatly increased demand? How would we generate all of the additional electricity?
I am getting a bit tired of a "group of hardcore" self proclaimed "environmentalists" who seem to be against "everything". No hydro electric (dams) as they cause flooding of our natural areas, no nuclear, no coal burning, no solar because they require large tracts of land and are unsightly, no wind generators because they kill birds and require large tracts of land and are unsightly, etc.

I would just like to hear them actually "support" a truly workable, affordable solution, instead of all the negativism. It is easy to find fault, not so much for real solutions.

However, after that info regarding the shifting tilt of the earth, I am wondering about all of it!

Last edited:
Do the members of the "Task Force" get paid with taxpayers dollars?:eek:

I don't think so. But there were some on the Climate Action Task force that stand to profit off some of the recommendations

I am getting a bit tired of a "group of hardcore" self proclaimed "environmentalists" who seem to be against "everything".
It is quite literally, a cult.

The north pole is constantly moving, not stationary at all. And over the earth's history, the North and South pole have swapped positions a number of times. Nothing is static in our existence, everything is in movement.

Heck, I've just being reading a book on tides and apparently every body of water vibrates, some vibrations can take days for one cycle. And for those of us more northerly, our body experiences tides, but as you can guess every so slightly.

If you put an imaginary dot in the air with your finger, by the time you finish reading this sentence, that dot will be hundreds of miles away. Not only is our earth and our planetary system moving, the earth rotating and moving around the sun, but our galaxy is moving through the universe. We are moving at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour. As my buddy asked when I told him this, "why aren't the flags flapping."

Our earth is destined to die, even if we do everything to halt and put back the clock to an earlier time, the earth will end up looking something like mars, then eventually it will disintegrate and there will be nothing left.

Cheers,
Have a good day!

Last edited:
Climate change is the new religion. You either fully embrace it or you are a heretic, a “denier.”

I had an electric car for 6 months and after the novelty wears off, practicality takes over. Without subsidies, without public charging stations they will not work for most of us, couple that with battery death in 8 years (most of the warranties are that long) think about buying a new battery for an 8-year-old car? I’ve heard upwards of $40,000 for a Tesla?

When I took the i3 on a trip to Vancouver Island, 5 of the 6 listed chargers were u/s. The 6th had a lineup. Tell me how that works for you when you can get in and out of a gas station in 5 minutes when you need to charge your car every day?

The US generates 1/3 of its power from coal so even evs are “dirty.”

It won’t work until you can charge your car in the same time you can get gas. How do you like waiting in line for gas and that usually only adds 10 mins?

They work for commuters or people with regular destinations.

Last edited:
Most of our electrical power is generated via hydro power...and the people who propose such radical ideas as this also demand the dams be removed to save salmon. I’m not kidding. You can’t debate these people. If you don’t agree with them you are (insert epithet here).

Localboy,
Since I was a child I’ve been told we run on hydro power but about a year ago I heard we are 90% on coal. Are you sure about most of our power being still generated by hydro?

Need to know

The north pole is constantly moving, not stationary at all. And over the earth's history, the North and South pole have swapped positions a number of times. Nothing is static in our existence, everything is in movement.

Heck, I've just being reading a book on tides and apparently every body of water vibrates, some vibrations can take days for one cycle. And for those of us more northerly, our body experiences tides, but as you can guess every so slightly.

If you put an imaginary dot in the air with your finger, by the time you finish reading this sentence, that dot will be hundreds of miles away. Not only is our earth and our planetary system moving, the earth rotating and moving around the sun, but our galaxy is moving through the universe. We are moving at hundreds of thousands of miles per hour. As my buddy asked when I told him this, "why aren't the flags flapping."

Our earth is destined to die, even if we do everything to halt and put back the clock to an earlier time, the earth will end up looking something like mars, then eventually it will disintegrate and there will be nothing left.

Cheers,

Have a good day!

Climate change has become sort of a cult. But it is an important difference to make with pollution which I hope all here agree.
We humans cause too much pollution and we should be very welcoming to new ideas in order to find alternate forms of materials and energy. Extreme pollution is causing changes in climate, in wild life and in humans equally.
It is very sad to see the amount of garbage in the oceans, it is very sad to see landfills so full of our plastic and our contaminants. It is sad to see how much is being destroyed and abused, many times by companies we buy products from.
I just watched a program about micro-pieces of plastic as it degrades being consumed by fish which in turn either kills them or kill us by eating them.
But we all use fossil fuels to move, to work, to produce. We need it. Hopefully next generations may find a solution quickly before it is too late.

I think electric cars will eventually phase in and I use that phrase purposely. Currently it is my belief the best electric cars are plug in hybrids. The range is nowhere near a Tesla or what have you, maybe 40 miles or a bit more, eventually more. But you don't need long range in a plug in hybrid.

Most driving is local so if that driving can be done within the plug in's range, great. But lets assume your commute is 40 miles one way. Then you have successfully reduce your gas usage by half. One way on electric, the other way on gas.

The doom and gloom on batteries isn't quite as bad as portrayed. Those originally studied were New York cab drivers using old battery technology in their Priuses, the same technology my RAV 4 has. It has found even these old batteries have hung around much longer than ever anticipated.

I tell friends looking into electric cars to seriously consider a used Nissan Leaf (I believe post 2016, has better range than the original ones) with a range of 80 miles (roughly 130 kilometers for my Canadian friends). But only get this car as your second car, your first car either a gasser, diesel, or plug in hybrid. If the Leaf is your second car and you want to drive from Seattle to Chicago, you go in your primary car.

Things need to happen in the industry for the all electrics to really become viable. The American government a longggggg time ago, stepped in and told the railroad industry to standardize track width to 5 feet..blah...blah (to lazy to look up the correct width) which the RR industry did. Prior to that tracks could be any width and it created problems in cross country RR traffic. In fact, there is one place in the world where you can take a train coach and at one point you have to get off while the wheels are removed and another set of wheels put on to run on a different width track.

So the industry needs to standardize charging station's hook up. Only one style of hook up should be allowed just as in a gas station, one pump nozzle size is allowed.

I also believe battery construction should be limited to certain sizes so there can develop a secondary industry selling cheaper batteries than the original manufactures. There are so many batteries of different sizes, it just isn't practical to create a personal battery line to replace electric car batteries.

And lastly, if you want an electric, I have read the Chinese are getting into EV technology in a big way and will be glutting North America with significantly cheaper EV's in about 4 years or so. The article recommended waiting to purchase one of those. And for those who are going to whine about Chinese technology, remember back in the day when some joked about "made in Japan" or "made in Korea."

Last edited:
On my recent road trip we drove through the Petrified Forest National Park (absolutely amazing and a huge attaboy for those who had the foresight to preserve it) and I was completely blown away by trees made out of stone. The painted Desert! These trees were sub-tropical and were covered by ash 217 million years ago. Just rolls off the tongue, doesn’t it? The museum showed an animated earth and North America was entirely below the equator, hence the “sub-tropical.”

North America moved north, Africa and South America drifted apart, drifted together again and drifted apart while North America was sequentially covered by an inland sea and an ice cap that nearly reached the Gulf of Mexico then retreated, 10,000 years ago.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are a mere blink in the life of the earth, our presence here is totally immaterial to the earth which will continue on shifting, heating, cooling and blowing up occasionally, getting nailed by an errant asteroid and maybe disintegrating. Considering that our history is a mere blink and our industrial electric-car-driving period won’t even register on a timeline, we need to get over ourselves. Consider that its only been a 100,000 years since the monkey-stage, that everybody on the internet today will be a memory in 100 years, most of us hate our neighbours and would cheerfully kill for the right cause; we need a new religion. We can’t even get everyone to stop throwing cigarettes and beer bottles out of car windows, how does anybody with a brain expect us to work together for something as esoteric as climate claptrap?

Last edited:
Climate change has become sort of a cult. But it is an important difference to make with pollution which I hope all here agree.
We humans cause too much pollution and we should be very welcoming to new ideas in order to find alternate forms of materials and energy. Extreme pollution is causing changes in climate, in wild life and in humans equally.
It is very sad to see the amount of garbage in the oceans, it is very sad to see landfills so full of our plastic and our contaminants. It is sad to see how much is being destroyed and abused, many times by companies we buy products from.
I just watched a program about micro-pieces of plastic as it degrades being consumed by fish which in turn either kills them or kill us by eating them.
But we all use fossil fuels to move, to work, to produce. We need it. Hopefully next generations may find a solution quickly before it is too late.
I agree completely that we should definitely be taking major steps to reduce pollution of all types. However, let's not go after expensive minor results while ignoring the major contributors as often seems to happen!
For example, proposals to "outlaw" grey water discharge from pleasure boats to solve the "pollution" of our oceans instead of dealing with the exponentially larger issues of "runoff" from the land and industrial discharges. Just for example :dance:

This:

Attachments

• 5CA5406F-2929-43CE-97B4-51EA3321F80A.jpg
    5CA5406F-2929-43CE-97B4-51EA3321F80A.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 61
EVs clean? Sort of. 62% of all electricity in the US is generated by fossil fuels. Plus the cost of building and recycling EVs.

EVs are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist yet.

Localboy,
Since I was a child I’ve been told we run on hydro power but about a year ago I heard we are 90% on coal. Are you sure about most of our power being still generated by hydro?

Need to know
Nope to coal. Someone fed you propaganda. Still a majority of hydro. This site shows various graphs. Natural gas is second. Coal dead last.

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=WA#tabs-4

Washington is the top U.S. producer of electricity from hydroelectric sources and routinely accounts for 25% of the nation's annual utility-scale net hydroelectricity generation.

Last edited:
Thanks Localboy,

That’s very good news.

The cause of this problem is clearly the fact that there is 3-4 times as many humans than the earth can support gracefully. TOO MANY PEOPLE

However, let's not go after expensive minor results while ignoring the major contributors as often seems to happen!

Two words: China. India.

Thanks Localboy,

That’s very good news.

The cause of this problem is clearly the fact that there is 3-4 times as many humans than the earth can support gracefully. TOO MANY PEOPLE

I would agree. But again: China, India. And the developing world.

It’s ironic to me that the very group of people touting all these radical “ideas” is the same group that supports unfettered and illegal immigration, as if all these new people here won’t somehow contribute to the very issue. But then it’s really all about power and control...

Ladies and gentlemen, we are a mere blink in the life of the earth, our presence here is totally immaterial to the earth which will continue on shifting, heating, cooling and blowing up occasionally, getting nailed by an errant asteroid and maybe disintegrating. Considering that our history is a mere blink and our industrial electric-car-driving period won’t even register on a timeline, we need to get over ourselves.

:iagree::Thanx:

Even if you believe that measuring a minuscule portion of a timeline spanning 100's of thousands of years and projecting the destruction of the earth based on that "trajectory", there is the whole cause vs. effect argument to be wrestled with - no data on the scale of which we are able to measure in the last 200 years can prove causation one way or the other with certainty.

• Is the climate is changing? - Yes! -- the earth has been doing that for billions of years.
  • Are humans are having an impact on the planet in some way? - Yes.
  • Is the human impact CAUSING the current climate change? I doubt it, and there is no relevant data available to prove this.
  • Should we continuously strive to do better with reducing emissions, plastic, and pollution? Absolutely!
  • Should we abandon all of our technology and life conveniences in order to change the globe based on a group of extremists? NO.

JMHO.

Ray, you are way to logical, realistic and possess common sense. You would be vilified by these people...:thumb:

error in upload of pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom