Attention Canadians!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Nope. NO true Canadian would drink Molsons. I strongly suspect it is a CIA "ghost ship" attempting to infiltrate the Canadian border during the closure.
Evidence:

As I said, the ONLY Canadian beer that is usually available in the US is Molson. Beaver unrine IMO.
NO Canadian needs a recipe for Poutine. Preparing Poutine is taught in grade school.
Hockey stick? Hmmm....could it simply be a bent twig that resembles a hockey stick? Unless it's a Bauer, it's a ruse.

Greetings,
Nope. NO true Canadian would drink Molsons. I strongly suspect it is a CIA "ghost ship" attempting to infiltrate the Canadian border during the closure.
Evidence:

As I said, the ONLY Canadian beer that is usually available in the US is Molson. Beaver unrine IMO.
NO Canadian needs a recipe for Poutine. Preparing Poutine is taught in grade school.
Hockey stick? Hmmm....could it simply be a bent twig that resembles a hockey stick? Unless it's a Bauer, it's a ruse.

I fully concur :thumb:

Poutine? WaDat?

Sigh...you know so little about your neighbours.

Poutine (poo-teen) is a high octane mid winter monstrously calorific food from Quebec's past that has no right to exist in a sedentary world!

Greetings,
Evidence:

Indeed I actually believe that you have been - and I will use British words here - "stitched up" :).

Sigh...you know so little about your neighbours.

Poutine (poo-teen) is a high octane mid winter monstrously calorific food from Quebec's past that has no right to exist in a sedentary world!

And surpassed only by a beaver tail :)

BBQ pulled pork on the top, wonderful little snack.

Try it with Confit de Canard (Duck confit?), cheese from Charlevoix and a rich duck gravy... Absolutely decadent!

L

Greetings,
Evidence:

Some clarification here....

As a lad growing up in Quebec, I remember only too well that the Team of the Nation (I refer, of course, to Les Habs aka the Montreal Canadiens) were owned by the Molson family and Molson Ex (export ale) was the brew of choice sold in brown stubbies, only, outside of les tavernes.

In the taverns (men only until circa 1970) you could get draught for ~ 10 cents a glass brought by the trayfull providing you tipped generously and regularly.

Alternatively, if you were 14 you could get the 16 year old from the Depanneur (corner store) to deliver a case of Ex to your home on his delivery bike no questions asked, again if the tip was adequate.

It was a kinder gentler time....

Leaves me out. 1) its on one of the great lakes. 2) Believe it or not, I've never eaten poutine. But I did sit in many a tavern back in the day drinking Molson on tap. Many in Quebec when the beer was delivered would add salt to the beer. And eat pickled eggs.

Some clarification here....

As a lad growing up in Quebec, I remember only too well that the Team of the Nation (I refer, of course, to Les Habs aka the Montreal Canadiens) were owned by the Molson family and Molson Ex (export ale) was the brew of choice sold in brown stubbies, only, outside of les tavernes.

In the taverns (men only until circa 1970) you could get draught for ~ 10 cents a glass brought by the trayfull providing you tipped generously and regularly.

Alternatively, if you were 14 you could get the 16 year old from the Depanneur (corner store) to deliver a case of Ex to your home on his delivery bike no questions asked, again if the tip was adequate.

It was a kinder gentler time....
Oh well I remember those days. My rat trap could only hold one litre bottle so every day to get my exercise I was sent to the corner store. I was only 10? but a phone call made was all that was needed. How things have changed.
Les Habs when there were only six teams in the NHL. :thumb:

When I read what was in the boat I got a little excited. My bad.

By the way, the boat is called a sport-yak and was made by Dayton Marine Products. My father handled all of their patent work and as a result was given a sport-yak AND a Cat-Yak. I sailed that cat-yak all over Lake St. Clair as a ten year old. It is a small miracle I am here to talk about it. This was 1970 and the infancy of marine injection molded polyurethane. I am guessing the modest size of their craft was a product of the injection press size. Poutine and Cat-Yaks have led us to this. Nice. Bill

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Perhaps a bit of clarification on MY end is in order as well. AFAIK, the Molson product most widely available in the US is Molson GOLDEN (beaver urine) while the genre consumed by Les Quebecois is Molsen Ex. Decent beer and good with salt. Oui, le Deppaneur.
Beaver Tail vs poutine? Poutine!

Try it with Confit de Canard (Duck confit?), cheese from Charlevoix and a rich duck gravy... Absolutely decadent!

L
English is "Duck Confit". First enjoyed as guests in a hotel just that day reopening after total rebuild, in rural France. Sought after ever since.
Poutine? Not so much. Had it in Canada during a bike ride in the hills behind Montreal. You could easily burn it off doing up to 120km a day on a bike, otherwise it might stay a while.

I see your beaver tail (must be an eastern Canada thing...never had one) and counter with the Nanaimo bar :thumb:

English is "Duck Confit". First enjoyed as guests in a hotel just that day reopening after total rebuild, in rural France. Sought after ever since.
Poutine? Not so much. Had it in Canada during a bike ride in the hills behind Montreal. You could easily burn it off doing up to 120km a day on a bike, otherwise it might stay a while.
That's what we call a comfort food during winter, you need that to find a reason to shovel that white sh#t some call snow!
I would not have one now that it is 35C or more outside!

Thank you for the English translation :).

L

Greetings,
Mr. NW. Perhaps a bit of clarification on MY end is in order as well. AFAIK, the Molson product most widely available in the US is Molson GOLDEN (beaver urine) while the genre consumed by Les Quebecois is Molsen Ex. Decent beer and good with salt. Oui, le Deppaneur.
Beaver Tail vs poutine? Poutine!

RT,

Please do not take mine as any sort of umbrage!

I knew exactly of what you spoke having spent years living in Michigan (Kalamazoo) and Colorado (Boulder). The Molson product (brewed under licence I suspect) you speak of is indeed a weak facsimile!

Molson, incidentally, is the oldest continuously operating brewer in North America dating back to the mid 18th century. As John Molson said “an honest brew makes its own friends”....says so right on the bottle!

As I write the penguins and the Habs are tied at 2 apiece in the third and headed for overtime.

Cheers!

Greetings,
Mr. NW. No offense taken. Simply attempting to clarify the nuances of a product that might be judged to be an atypical Molson product from the single poor excuse for a beer that is imported into the US.

I haven't tried it BUT there is a beer produced in La Belle Provence that may be worth a taste...

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22/34/

So, what do Canadians drink that is considered "real beer"? As for Molson's being considered "beaver pee", it is far superior to the "panther pee" masquerading as beer brewed in the States, yes, that would be Budweiser, a thin, weak foul-tasting brew if there ever was one. My goodness, it's made with rice!

So, what do Canadians drink that is considered "real beer"? As for Molson's being considered "beaver pee", it is far superior to the "panther pee" masquerading as beer brewed in the States, yes, that would be Budweiser, a thin, weak foul-tasting brew if there ever was one. My goodness, it's made with rice!
Personally I like this one:
https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.com/medias.boreale.com/files/bieres/Boreale_blonde_bouteille.png

Brewed 4km from home, they make decent beers.
If I look for something with a bit more "bold" we have innumerable micro brewers, some better than other but the offering is very large.

L

My favourite was (quit drinking 10 years ago) Sleeman's Honey Brown, in bottles, not cans. Beer should not be in cans!

Last edited:
We liked all of the Sleeman offerings when we were in Canada. Would that their beers were available in the States.
My favourite was (quit drinking 10 years ago) Sleeman's Honey Brown, in bottles, not cans. Beer should not be in cans!

Bell's in Kalamazoo, Mi. The finest beer on the planet. Period.

Two Hearted Ale and Oberon can hold their own against any beer. Bitteroot Brewing Company, Shiner, and Short's being very close behind.

I gotta get me some Poutine. Sounds like a line from the movie Slapshot. Yes that's right Slapshot. Another of my Canadian favorites right up there with Don Cherry.
Canadian hockey god that he is.

Bell's in Kalamazoo, Mi. The finest beer on the planet. Period.

Two Hearted Ale and Oberon can hold their own against any beer. Bitteroot Brewing Company, Shiner, and Short's being very close behind.

I gotta get me some Poutine. Sounds like a line from the movie Slapshot. Yes that's right Slapshot. Another of my Canadian favorites right up there with Don Cherry.
Canadian hockey god that he is.

Two great memories evoked in one post...well done!

1) drinking Bells in Bell’s cafe in Kazoo with my best chum from high school on a Lake Michigan blow boating trip two years ago. What a great state, town, and brew....

2) watching Slapshot in Whistler circa 1980 with my old man who was then moving in on 70 years old but still skiing. As he watched the show, he laughed so hard he had tears streaming down his face!

As an aside, a key ingredient of poutine is the quality of the cheese curds which should squeak on your teeth as you eat them....(IMO)

Vancouver Island Brewery, had a seasonal beer, called Hermannator, very good, lubricated and fed at the same time. Close to 10%.

RT,

Please do not take mine as any sort of umbrage!

I knew exactly of what you spoke having spent years living in Michigan (Kalamazoo) and Colorado (Boulder). The Molson product (brewed under licence I suspect) you speak of is indeed a weak facsimile!

Molson, incidentally, is the oldest continuously operating brewer in North America dating back to the mid 18th century. As John Molson said “an honest brew makes its own friends”....says so right on the bottle!

As I write the penguins and the Habs are tied at 2 apiece in the third and headed for overtime.

Cheers!

There was a time when American beer was much less alcohol %. The molsons brewed in US was weaker and did not punch as much. Nowadays it seems they are all getting to be coloured water.
Molson export ale was a very good beer and the Canadian Molson too, now weakened somehow lost that pizzaz.

I shall not make any disparaging remarks about poutine.
Two great memories evoked in one post...well done!

1) drinking Bells in Bell’s cafe in Kazoo with my best chum from high school on a Lake Michigan blow boating trip two years ago. What a great state, town, and brew....

2) watching Slapshot in Whistler circa 1980 with my old man who was then moving in on 70 years old but still skiing. As he watched the show, he laughed so hard he had tears streaming down his face!

As an aside, a key ingredient of poutine is the quality of the cheese curds which should squeak on your teeth as you eat them....(IMO)

Back
Top Bottom