Apple / Mac / iwhatevers from Twin Screw thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Walt I was so comfortable in the living room in my chair I opted to do TF on the i-pad. I typed "davesail" but the i-pad thought it should be "dovetail". The i-pad wouldn't load up the "edit" feature. Got disgusted and fixed it on the mac. As you can see I fixed it quite soon and am very sorry to be so negligent in my editing.

Respectably submitted by this subordinate TF member;
Eric Henning

Walt I was so comfortable in the living room in my chair I opted to do TF on the i-pad. I typed "davesail" but the i-pad thought it should be "dovetail". The i-pad wouldn't load up the "edit" feature. Got disgusted and fixed it on the mac. As you can see I fixed it quite soon and am very sorry to be so negligent in my editing.

Eric Henning

Ha ha, me too Eric. Quite hard to get used to the iPad thinking it knows best, isn't it? And if you don't notice it has tried to second guess you and hit the space bar instead of the wee cancel window switch pops up when it guesses, then it is there, and it is quite tricky getting the cursor back in there to edit. I wish it had the to and fro arrows to allow you to ride over letters you want to keep. One good feature is that it capitalises the I if you forget to use upper case, but then that leads you into getting lazy, and I hate it when so many folk today just put i for the first person, and don't bother to edit it. Texting is making people very casual re communication these days. Sorry if that makes me sound like an old fart, but I think proper use of the written word is still important. Sorry, thread hijack and rant over. However, I do love the iPad, nevertheless.

Peter wrote;

"hate it when so many folk today just put i for the first person,"

They do it because it's fadish and they don't want to appear old fashioned. They call a car a "ride", don't shave much and lots of other cutesy things to establish who they are and who they aren't. How can you be cool and call a car a car? Or have a smoothly shaved face.

It's just vain and social declarations of space. "Not your fathers Oldsmobile" You must do things differently or you'll be classified as old. Eweww!

And then there are those that are just lazy. I, somewhat often didn't shave some days in Alaska .... well because it's Alaska .. and it's vogue as well. If I didn't dislike vogue and cutesy so much i'd a done it much more often.

As you can see I fixed it quite soon and am very sorry to be so negligent in my editing.
Eric Henning

No apology is necessary, Eric. I was just pulling your chain. :rolleyes:

Eric Henning

Eric are you still fighting the apple battle? I stopped using mine when the first windows tablets became available. Got tired of haveing to do everything through apple. Now with windows 8 you can have a 24 inch touch screen if you like! I'm gonna install a 19-15 on the boat, maybe 2 if one works out

You guys can have that window stuff .... been there done that. My computer is actually user friendly. And you should see the pictures!

Atta boy, Eric! Couldn't agree more! Photo taken by my iMac, 2 minutes ago.:smitten:

Attachments

• Photo on 2013-02-26 at 16.52.jpg
    Photo on 2013-02-26 at 16.52.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 93
Floyd your touch screen may be nice. I have the i-pad w the touch screen but the most important element of my computer is picture viewing and I've got a very bright and sharp 27" stand alone i-mac. My router is a "Time Machine" that backs up automatically at any interval I choose. No security problems that I know of but went into the Time Machine and looked around and saw all kinds of spam and really undesirable stuff. You guys can have that window stuff .... been there done that. My computer is actually user friendly. And you should see the pictures!

Eric, I use both and was a heavy apple user years ago because all the best graphics tools were designed around the risc motorola processor and to use micosoft was to loose lots of the pro features. I fought apple just as you are doing now for years untill a new generation of processor was born that kicked risc butt and have never looked back except to smile and be thankful for all the time i have saved by switching. I am not loyal I will go with whatever i find does the job the best and in computers since about 98 its been amd processors and microsoft operating systems. I even had one of the first iphones and still own it but as soon as the droidx came out, the first real competitor for the iphone, i ordered one. In fact i recieved the very first one in the state of oregon issued to verizon and still use it. apple cameras are not good they don't allow one the flexibility of the other tablet or phone cameras but they are getting better. My ancient old droidx is 8meg and can do HD video as much as i want. Did a 200meg clip of a train the other day. I don't think the latest and greatest apple ipad or iphone can even come close to that yet.

Major thread creep alert but I didn't start it.

I bought the third Mac sold in Seattle in 1984 to write my first book on. I have used Macs at home ever since, going through a number of generations of them up through today.

Boeing, after thrashing around with a number of types of computers including Mac, finally settled on PC/Microsoft Windows, most recently Windows 7.

So I use both every day. And as far as I and everyone in my department are concerned, Windows is the most unintuitive, trouble-prone, unstable piece of electronic crap ever conceived. And they manage to make it worse with every new iteration.

From all the people I encounter in the course of my work, Windows is almost universally hated. The only thing hated more are Microsoft's applications for it-- Office, Outlook, etc. which also get worse--- more unintuitive, frustrating, and bloated--- with every new version.

While I understand the frustrations that can arise from Apple's closed architecture, from a purely user point of view, Apple is both intuitive and user friendly. Recently several of my co-workers have given up on Windows after years of using it at home and changed to Macs. Listening to them talk about setting up and using their new Macs is like listening to ex-smokers wax evangelic about the evils of smoking (aka Windows).

A long time ago I read a lengthy evaluation of Apple and PC (Windows) and what characterized the users of each system. I don't remember all the points that were made but the bottom line was that a PC user is likely to be analytical, precise, highly skewed toward following rigidly defined processes, very focussed, not very flexible, and very much into "data."

An Apple user is likely to be creative, free-thinking, have a variety of mostly creative interests, likes finding new ways of doing things, and is not at all interested in adhering to rigid processes.

Based on my experience and observation over the last almost three decades of personal computer use, I would have to say that this fellow's analysis rings pretty true.

There are certainly exceptions--- I would never have figured Eric for an Apple user based on his posts to this forum, for example. On the other hand he certainly takes a creative, unique, and "out of the box" approach to things like anchoring and a lot of other technical subjects, so in reality I guess he actually fits the Apple "personality" very well.

Boeing's most revered engineer is Ed Wells, who started with the company in 1931 and was instrumental in moving it into the jet age after the war, even contributing to the 757 and 767 designs long after his retirement. In an extensive interview I did with him in the 1980s I asked him why he had been quick to embrace the switch from piston to jet propulsion.

"Because," he said, "I realized that life's simply too short to spend it working on propellers."

In the same vein, I feel that life's too short to spend it screwing around with Windows.:)

Last edited:
No problem w this computer at all. It's just the over-prorgaming of the i-pad. Actually if there's any problem it's that I'm way beyond the curve on computer operation. I use it less as a tool and more like a toy.

I have been learning more lately just fiddling around answering the call of my curiosity. I thought if I can drag that picture over onto my desk top then lets see if I can drag it from one place (like a file) to another. But I spend my time on forums, Yahoo news, face book ect instead of getting out the book and actually learning how to operate the computer.

I have a finger dexterity problem so I typed w one finger until I had pain and now I use a pencil w a plastic/vinyl cap over the eraser. My posting is slow but I get by.

But Floyd I really don't know enough to know the difference between PCs and Mac's. But I'm not fighting this Mac at all ... just a bit frustrated w the i-pad. But it's still fun to get on TF when we go to Starbucks. But I need to pay attention to the words coming up as they may not be the words I'm typing and the problem is a bit worse as I don't look at the screen as I type cause I need to look at the keyboard.

Anyway .... not fighting the mac at all.

Oh Walt here's my Golf Cart. TC? .. we've already said everything there is to say about twins ect,

Attachments

• DSCF0675 copy.jpg
    DSCF0675 copy.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Oh Walt here's my Golf Cart. TC? .. we've already said everything there is to say about twins ect,

How about that! Same style (hatchback) as my Ford. :thumb:

An Apple user is likely to be creative, free-thinking, have a variety of mostly creative interests, likes finding new ways of doing things, and is not at all interested in adhering to rigid processes.

.:)

what is the word for a sentence in contradicts itself?

Last edited:
It must be the Oregon factor.

"what is the word for a sentence in contradicts itself?"

Ask that again and throw us a complete sentence as well.

Did you mean "THAT contradicts itself"?

I bought the third Mac sold in Seattle in 1984 to write my first book on. I have used Macs at home ever since, going through a number of generations of them up through today.

Boeing, after thrashing around with a number of types of computers including Mac, finally settled on PC/Microsoft Windows, most recently Windows 7.

So I use both every day. And as far as I and everyone in my department are concerned, Windows is the most unintuitive, trouble-prone, unstable piece of electronic crap ever conceived. And they manage to make it worse with every new iteration.

From all the people I encounter in the course of my work, Windows is almost universally hated. The only thing hated more are Microsoft's applications for it-- Office, Outlook, etc. which also get worse--- more unintuitive, frustrating, and bloated--- with every new version.

While I understand the frustrations that can arise from Apple's closed architecture, from a purely user point of view, Apple is both intuitive and user friendly. Recently several of my co-workers have given up on Windows after years of using it at home and changed to Macs. Listening to them talk about setting up and using their new Macs is like listening to ex-smokers wax evangelic about the evils of smoking (aka Windows).

A long time ago I read a lengthy evaluation of Apple and PC (Windows) and what characterized the users of each system. I don't remember all the points that were made but the bottom line was that a PC user is likely to be analytical, precise, highly skewed toward following rigidly defined processes, very focussed, not very flexible, and very much into "data."

Based on my experience and observation over the last almost three decades of personal computer use, I would have to say that this fellow's analysis rings pretty true.

There are certainly exceptions--- I would never have figured Eric for an Apple user based on his posts to this forum, for example. On the other hand he certainly takes a creative, unique, and "out of the box" approach to things like anchoring and a lot of other technical subjects, so in reality I guess he actually fits the Apple "personality" very well.

Boeing's most revered engineer is Ed Wells, who started with the company in 1931 and was instrumental in moving it into the jet age after the war, even contributing to the 757 and 767 designs long after his retirement. In an extensive interview I did with him in the 1980s I asked him why he had been quick to embrace the switch from piston to jet propulsion.

"Because," he said, "I realized that life's simply too short to spend it working on propellers."

In the same vein, I feel that life's too short to spend it screwing around with Windows.:)

Wow, Marin, that brush is so broad you could paint the bottom of your GB with one swipe.

My first computer was an apple IIc, back before Mac was even thought of. I had a run of apple products for about ten years after that, but eventually the companies I worked for all used systems that only worked with windows based machines, so I was forced, kicking and screaming, to switch.

I've used windows ever since. And I use some sort of electronic device for my work close to ten hours a day. My little samsung laptop I'm typing on now is lighter, faster, and cooler in pretty much every way than an airbook. Oh, and it was 2/3 of the price.

I have an iphone 4s and the first gen ipad. My phone is ok, I guess, though fragile and the camera blows. My wife has a droid, it is a better phone. I would switch if I could, but I was dumb enough to use i tunes for all of my music over the last 6 years or so and now apple has me by the um, unmentionables.

I find the ipad to be a great e reader and my kids love it for gaming. But otherwise I seldom use it. It doesn't do anything I can't do on my phone (and my phone does things it can't do) and is nowhere near as powerful as my laptop, which is only marginally heavier, saves any type of file, and is a billion times easier to type on.

I have a degree in creative writing from a liberal arts university. I taught english for a year, I was a professional fly fishing guide for 12 years. Now I work in the outdoor industry for four different companies, two of which are based in Portland, OR....hipster heaven. I haven't worn a tie since my grandmother died 15 years ago. Most days I go to work in a t-shirt and flips. I guess I never knew I was such a stiff. :)

Apple is the world's largest company now, they seem to me to be crazy corporate and mostly about marketing rather than substance.

I have a bumper sticker that reads "You non-conformists are all alike" I think it applies nicely to most of the apple cultists.

Seen the samsung Galaxy commercials? Pretty funny.

Perhaps this monumental thread drift is a commentary on how we are all sort of 'over' the twin versus single thing......
Just coupla comments - sorry, can't help it...
I use Mac at home, (iPad, Iphone now, son's cast-off, MacBook for laptop), and W7 at work. They are both excellent systems, but when push comes to shove, then the Mac is more stable.
Example - Son in the movie music composition business found composing via Microsoft with Q-Base crashed all the time. After going over to equivalent on iMac, a crash was so unusual it would be a topic of curiosity on their forum.
His fellow movie producers trying to create special effects on Microsoft got to the stage they had a crash after every few minutes of footage done - changed to Mac and found it rock solid. That was a few years ago admittedly, but when you have had personal experience like that it does impress.

Now, back to twins...

Geez Walt, first you drove a Prius and now you swear by Apple products. What's next, a peace symbol tattoo? Are you sure you're not a gun-grabbing, granola crunching closet liberal? :socool: :hide: :D

Geez Walt, first you drove a Prius and now you swear by Apple products.

I still love the Prius but wanted to go American this time. As for the Apple, I started with one in 1985 and never looked back. At the present time I am a Granola cruncher, however! :dance:

Last edited:
We've got to get you out of SoCal before it's too late!! (Don't feel bad, I had granola this morning, too.)

:)..Marin, still using the same platform you started writing with back in the twenties?...You know my friend times have changed since then. I do realize it is common for mac only's to blinder the rest of the computer world and stick to the" if it aint mac its no good" mind set, limiting their creativity but some folks don't take to change well at all.....chuckle....facts are facts
Science has taught me to consider all options and keep an open mind if I wish to know of the real world as it exsists today. I have a friend that still wont use anything but a rotary dial phone, he is a real stuck in the mud from the fifties but still a great guy and a life long friend. Hes always calling me to do things for him he has difficulty in getting done because of his self inflicted handicap. Sorta like mac only people

:)..Marin, still using the same platform you started writing with back in the twenties?...

When you learn how to read, you let me know. And when you do, re-read the first paragraph in my post number 8. Take your time, pace yourself, move your lips if that makes easier to comprehend the words, and do you best to decipher the meaning of "... going through a number of generations of them until today."

I swear, sometimes writing stuff for this crowd is like trying to teach my dog Spanish......

Greetings,
Mr. 45. Science has taught me that "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." KISS principle. Yup, I could heat my coffee water with a laser, Fresnel lens in the sun, atomic pile, close contact with a Bayard-Alpert gauge in a glass envelope or even in a birch bark bowl over an open mesquite fire but it's much easier to just plug in the kettle. It works, it gives me a hot coffee.
I've been wearing boxer shorts (when I wear them at all....OK, I know, too much information) for decades and will until I die. Works and takes all the crap I can....er....too much again....Won't EVER find me in something like this...

careys_mankini.jpg

New and improved isn't always better. Try to check out of a grocery store with a weeks worth of food during a power outage. Facts are only facts until replaced with newer facts.
Mr. Marin. Just saw your post....You're trying to teach your dog Spanish? Planning a Mexican vacation are we?

Last edited:

I use Mac Pro at home, use an iPod touch, and have a iPad for mobile use. I am close to converting to an iPhone as my blackberry is nearing it's life's end. I like the way all these devices sync together, but most of all I like that all these devices WORK. I still have an old PC running Windows XP, probably the only decent OS Windows has come up with. I'm sort of forced to keep a PC going only because some things are just not yet compatible with Macs, and I need the PC to open them. Anyway, the best of both worlds can be had by using a Mac with one of the programs that allow PC programs to run on the Mac..like Boot Camp, which I think is free.

I should add that I do plan to use Boot Camp or a similar program and get rid of the old PC.

Most days I go to work in a t-shirt and flips. OK!
"You non-conformists are all alike".... Really! Us?

How strange it is, that it should be so clear to all but he!
How strange what is?
Deaf ears!
Deaf ears?
How so?
Strange, strange indeed!

Mistake!!!!!

Last edited:
Time was when Mac's protected folks from the Evil Empire, aka MS pervasive and bloated operating system and applications.

But then Apple became the Evil Empire. The iPhones are great, but be careful if rain is even forecast - they might get wet and die. They could probably fix this, other vendors can. But leave it as it is to get more (replacement) product through the stores....

My biggest beef is that when a Mac and associated stuff like Time Machine stop working due to software issues there isn't much you can do. Tools are primitive. My Mac wont backup to Time Capsule apparently because of a disk issue. But Disk Verify works on the Mac without a problem, and Time Machine will backup my Mac to a portable HDD. Problem thus should be in the Time Capsule. But it backs up both my daughters Mac's without a problem. So, delete the backup of my Mac on Time Capsule and start a new backup. Fails. Investigative tools to resolve issues? Not from Apple....

Then there is Office for Mac. Used for 3 years without too much trouble but missed the full functionality of the MS version of Office. Recently Outlook for Mac was slow to start. Thinking it was too many emails I decided to Archive and delete the less important. The Archive function is quite primitive, but did work. Thank goodness.

A week later Outlook for Mac refuses to start, and all attempts to rebuild the "Identity" fail. So establish a new Identity, restore an old one from a backup the day before failure. No go. The backup restores but the Identity is still unreadable. Dig around with Google for a while only to discover that backing up Outlook for Mac is problematic unless you stop the "Microsoft Database Daemon" first. Not very intuitive at all, no user instructions to that effect that I'm aware of. And very cumbersome relative to a failssafe backup system that Time Machine is supposed to provide. I figured the fallback solution was to setup a new Outlook for Mac identity and import the archive. Then I found Outlook would not connect to any of the several email servers I use. At that point Outlook for Mac wasn't something I was willing to rely on going forward, even if I could trouble shoot it.

It finally dawned on me that trying to use Office for Mac was a disaster waiting to happen - MS didn't build it very well, and don't provide much in the way of tools for it, or support. And Apple don't support it either. Its a half baked piece of rubbish (Outlook for Mac anyway) that no-one takes any responsibility for.

So now I have my old email on Outlook for Mac thanks to the Archive at least being readable. And I am now using Mac Mail for new email. Mac Mail kinda sucks, but its working. All in all I only lost a weeks email, rather fortunate to have made an archive that recently.

I do have Boot Camp and 8GB Ram on my Macbook, and I allocated 4GB to Windows 7. I normally use VMware Fusion to run Windows, so don't have to close the Mac down and reboot in the other OS. I can have both operating systems running at the same time: Mac on one screen and Windows on another screen. This works pretty well given the RAM I have. I set up Windows because of those programs only available on Windows, but don't use them very often. When the time comes to replace the Mac, probably this year, I think I will leave it as Mac only. And then buy an el cheapo Windows laptop for the legacy Windows applications.

Rant over. But whatever Mac stuff you have, be aware that things will stop working. Be prepared!

Until last year I, too, thought an iPad was little more than a glorified e-reader. Then I got one. The music composer/arranger/ conductor/director I use for all my original music scores told me, when you get one you'll wonder how you managed to live your life without it, and he was right.

Today, I do virtually everything on the iPad. Write on it using either Pages or MS Word, open, create, or edit MS Office documents like Excel, PowerPoint, take handwritten notes during meetings, read and edit PDFs, download and store and modify our international travel itineraries. I have an app that contains a super-detailed street map of the entire planet. We are currently in Brazil and we've used the iPad for street maps of Rio, São Paulo, and two smaller cities we've worked in. Same thing for Beijing, Doha, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi.

For boating we have a charting app with Actve Captain overlaid on it, a couple of excellent tide and current apps.

On a music video shoot the other week the musical director I mentioned above used his iPad as the playback device for the musician. Score loaded on the iPad and fed into a PA system with a cue-re-cue app that let's the playback begin at any precise point in the score. My wife and I are producing a full-up CD featuring this musician and the people she performs with and the recording engineer on the project (same guy I use for my work) will most likely use his iPad as the multi-track recording device in the concert hall where we will be doing the original recording. He has all sorts of cables made up that let his iPad be fed directly from his mixers and mic pre-amps.

All in all an amazing device if one takes advantage of it. I currently have 55 apps installed on mine, most of them for work-type functions that I either couldn't do at all on a portable, international basis or had to lug a laptop around or use pen and paper.

My friend was right. I have no idea how I managed to live my professional life before without it.

Last edited:
When you learn how to read, you let me know. And when you do, re-read the first paragraph in my post number 8. Take your time, pace yourself, move your lips if that makes easier to comprehend the words, and do you best to decipher the meaning of "... going through a number of generations of them until today."

I swear, sometimes writing stuff for this crowd is like trying to teach my dog Spanish......

:lol:..chuckle.....:rofl:....thats funny....I needed that Marin I'm doin taxes:eek:

I think what you do is the same thing I do, we get so wrapped up in an idea we overlook the obvious. I recognize this trait because of a flexible creative mind that isnt stuck in the old apple rut like some I know......te..he..
Good morning Marin:)

Greetings,
OK then, where does that leave my Commodore 64 with attached sloppy drive?

commodore64a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom