The Anthropocene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Life is sacred. That should be Rule #1 for Humanity.

Convince me I'm wrong.

Dinosaurs weren't sacred? Passenger pigeons? Dodo's?

We, and all life on this planet, are simply what can result in a Universe sized roll of the dice.

The Sun is one star in 200 billion (or so) stars in the Milky Way Galaxy, and there are over 100 billion galaxies in the Universe. How many other planets support life? There must be others.

If we are here, they are there.

Religions are evolutional, just as societies or political systems are. What starts out simple gets more complex with time. Interesting though, is how supernatural gods become less directly involved in our affairs as science advances and explains the natural world around us. An interesting inverse relationship, don't you think?

Finally, if Life is so sacred, then why don't religions take an active role in trying to preserve habitats and species instead of believing Man has dominion over the Earth and can do with it what He will?

For the record, I'm a 99.99% Atheist leaning Agnostic who sometimes perceives Animistic Whisperings, but if you had to pencil me into a slot, it would be Secular Humanism.

Last edited:
Life is sacred. That should be Rule #1 for Humanity....
So, no death penalty for murder,mass shootings,treason, that kind of thing. Impressive progressive thinking.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. No more wars!

200w.webp

So, no death penalty for murder,mass shootings,treason, that kind of thing. Impressive progressive thinking.

It's not progressive or conservative. Too many folks are too fast to label so they can choose sides. I think ALL human life is sacred. Some killing is unavoidable and justified but that does not conflict with my belief that all human life is sacred.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ahhh....ALL human life is sacred except if....

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

― George Orwell, Animal Farm

Last edited:
You don't feel your soul? You don't know your maker?

This is all nothing but dumb luck? Seriously?

This is all nothing but dumb luck? Seriously?

So...your god(s) creates the vastness and complexity of the Universe, places us here on Earth, and he/she/they can't come up with a more elaborate design for humans? I mean really; one head, two eyes, two nostrils, two ears, one mouth, one set of reproductive gear, four appendages, and waste disposal ports opposite the head....just like so many other animals? Talk about lazy!

As to a 'soul' or 'religion', it's my belief that they are a result of evolution.

Let's say you have two groups vying for a territory way back in our distant past. One group is made up of individuals motivated by self interest, but acting together. The other group shares a deep belief system which allows them to fight beyond their normal limits...like a mother Grizzly standing up to a much larger male to protect her cubs. Which group would be more successful?

So you see, religious tendencies may be an artifact of evolution.

The Earth was happily getting along without us before we trotted out of Africa. We aren't that special.

Last edited:
.... I think ALL human life is sacred. Some killing is unavoidable and justified but that does not conflict with my belief that all human life is sacred.
If "ALL human life is sacred",how can any killing be "justified"? Seems at best inconsistency,more likely hypocrisy.
Do the perpetrators of 9/11 deserve to live despite the thousands of deaths and the misery they caused, the world destabilization that followed, and the deaths that led to? Did the Pan Am 103 bombers deserve to live? Do shooters of school children deserve to live?
Is there a role in USA for capital punishment? Should it be removed from available penalties?

Oh...and the only 100% humans on the planet are from Africa. The rest of us carry Neanderthal DNA. Cross bred mongrels we are :D

Last edited:

There are many other world views, some of which do not require a supernatural being.

Affirmations of Humanism:

We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.

We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.

We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.

We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.

We cultivate the arts of negotiation and compromise as a means of resolving differences and achieving mutual understanding.

We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.

We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.

We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on race, religion, gender, nationality, creed, class, sexual orientation, or ethnicity, and strive to work together for the common good of humanity.

We want to protect and enhance the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.

We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.

We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.

We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.

We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.

We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin, tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality.

We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

https://secularhumanism.org/what-is-secular-humanism/affirmations-of-humanism/

All this talk, I always look at the reverse, if we had a population problem of too few people, what kind of issues would we have then? It’s good to have some problems

Oh...and the only 100% humans on the planet are from Africa. The rest of us carry Neanderthal DNA. Cross bred mongrels we are :D

Always wondered...how does this square up with the religious folks?

Murray, please don't take the following as a personal attack since I am responding to your post. It is a refutation of a way of thinking that IMO is easily refuted....

There are many other world views, some of which do not require a supernatural being.
However, rejection of the existence of reality outside what one's senses can detect, a.k.a. the supernatural, results in complete intellectual incoherence. Humanism is a perfect example. While much in their Affirmation represents orthodox Judeo-Christian thinking and so is hard to argue with, the balance is illogical gibberish. For example, you'd be hard pressed to find a Christian who disagreed with this tenant:

We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life. Of course that is correct. Now, you might find the odd member of a marginal Christian or Judaic sect who disagrees I suppose, but then again, you'll find humanists who think that marrying trees is coherent thinking. Rather than pointing out all the areas of the Affirmation that are standard Christian thinking, here's where their assertions begin to break down, logic-wise:

We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, to seek to explain the world in supernatural terms, and to look outside nature for salvation.

So, right after affirming the value of scientific exploration and stating their opposition to the denigration of human intelligence, the Humanist dismisses, deplores and marks as off limits the consideration of the existence of the supernatural, that is, things outside this natural world. Human intelligence and scientific exploration don't advance when dogmatists insist that explanations they find "deplorable" cannot be explored. Very confused thinking here.

We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.

It invariably happens that out of one side of their mouths Humanists deny the existence of objective morality that would require the supernatural (since it exists whether the natural world exists or not), and out of the other side say they value things like "moral excellence". Without the existence of objective morality that exists supernaturally, talking about morality becomes a purely subjective thing. If subjective, then what is one man's moral excellence (sanctity of the person), becomes another man's immoral behavior (refusal to allow your daughter to have a forced clitorectomy.) In Hitler's mind, he was completely moral. In other words, if the only morality that exists is local and subjective, then the concept of any moral standard that binds human behavior is complete gibberish, yet that is what Humanists insist they believe in

We respect the right to privacy. Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.

More gibberish. I presume most Humanists would say that raping babies, even if the mature adult doing so is fulfilling their aspirations is bad, they have no reason to do so since they reject objective standards of good of evil. I gather this is also a shout out to abortion, which kills a human being. How do you square the circle of being for the protection of the innocent as the Humanist says they are, while condoning killing them?

We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. There are normative standards that we discover together. Moral principles are tested by their consequences.

We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.

Gibberish squared. Absent an objective standard of what is good and what is evil, the concepts of altruism, honesty, responsibility are whatever a local population deems them to be, so these terms are meaningless in the Humanist context.

We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas and seek new departures in our thinking.

Totally dishonest. The Humanist is not open to seeking new departures in their thinking, since they dogmatic reject the existence of that which they "deplore". Further, kindly show the "test" that proves Humanism. It doesn't exist, since Humanism is so full of logical contradictions regarding morality, so how can they say they are "skeptical" of the behavior that is at the very core of their belief system?

We believe in optimism rather than pessimism, hope rather than despair, learning in the place of dogma, Unless the dogma contradicts our insistence that the supernatural doesn't exist, in the which case, that dogma is just fine....

truth instead of ignorance, joy rather than guilt or sin,
Whose "truth" would that be, since absent objective Truth, truth is whatever floats your boat, and where does the concept of sin come from since that also presumes the existence of that which the Humanist rejects - something one could sin against?...tolerance in the place of fear, love instead of hatred, compassion over selfishness, beauty instead of ugliness, and reason rather than blind faith or irrationality. ….unless, reason leads one to conclude that a Creator must exist since life can't organize itself, nor Nothing produce a Universe filled with something.

We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.
Since the Humanist rejects objective standards of behavior, the ideas of "nobility" or "best" are gibberish. Joseph Stalin rose from humble beginnings to save his nation. I doubt he could have risen higher in the world of accomplishments. True, he murdered tens of millions, but if there are no objective standards of behavior, who is to say he wasn't the very epitome of achieving this Humanist aspiration?

Bottom line - when you reject the existence of objective good and objective evil that stands outside the natural world, you lose all standing to say anything about what is "good" or "evil". You can only say you prefer behaving like "x" vs. "y", even if you are incapable of providing the slightest reason why such a choice has the slightest merit. Humanism is a self-defeating logic, which is why it is so easy to argue against. It argues against itself better than I could.

Always wondered...how does this square up with the religious folks?

You're asking how does the existence of human depravity square with religion? Ummm…..kind of a common awareness amongst religious folks. (see Genesis, where a pretty good exploration of the subject is offered.)

Murray, please don't take the following as a personal attack since I am responding to your post. It is a refutation of a way of thinking that IMO is easily refuted....

Well, yah...pretty easy to gather low hanging fruit to what could be a weekends debate on each topic. Obviously, they left a wee bit out so it would fit on one page.

You might have read that I belong to no organized group, but if you had to pencil (not ink) me into one slot, Secular Humanism would be close.

You might have also read earlier that I sometimes perceive Animistic Whisperings, which in my case is an unmeasurable force emanating from the natural world. I have been places which thrummed with a 'presence' or 'power' so accept forces beyond this realm may exist, or not...it may just be my brain reacting to the combined experience of a place. Who will ever really know?

Bottom line - when you reject the existence of objective good and objective evil that stands outside the natural world, you lose all standing to say anything about what is "good" or "evil".

That's just daft.

When religions say a grandmother raping cannibalistic despot with a taste for newborn baby flesh, who's also responsible for the starvation deaths of millions of his peoples can accept god on his death bed and go to heaven, while my unbaptized wife, who's led a good/kind life is going to hell...explain good and evil to me again.

The most import bit from the affirmations above was; "Moral principles are tested by their consequences" which means a flexible system (where a Hitler wouldn’t be tolerated) that is unchained by dogma.

Last edited:
Well, yah...pretty easy to gather low hanging fruit to what could be a weekends debate on each topic. Obviously, they left a wee bit out so it would fit on one page.
Not so much low hanging fruit as it is the only fruit on the humanist tree. The dismissal of objective morality because they reject a supernatural origin to reality while invoking morality as if it were objective is the fatal flaw of humanism, and why it is incoherent.

You might have also read earlier that I sometimes perceive Animistic Whisperings, which in my case is an unmeasurable force emanating from the natural world. I have been places which thrummed with a 'presence' or 'power' so accept forces beyond this realm may exist, or not...it may just be my brain reacting to the combined experience of a place. Who will ever really know?
Yep, the world is full of whisperings. The trick is figuring out which to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin
Bottom line - when you reject the existence of objective good and objective evil that stands outside the natural world, you lose all standing to say anything about what is "good" or "evil".

That's just daft.

When religions say a grandmother raping cannibalistic despot with a taste for newborn baby flesh, who's also responsible for the starvation deaths of millions of his peoples can accept god on his death bed and go to heaven, while my unbaptized wife, who's led a good/kind life is going to hell...explain good and evil to me again.
Straw man argument alert....Yes, while Christian doctrine, and the words of Christ by the way, tell us that the repentant sinner can be redeemed, it is false to say that the same set of beliefs mean that an unbaptized person who leads a good life goes to hell. This is the same problem as deciding where the aborigine eaten by the Tasmanian tiger in 8,000 B.C. goes for salvation. Christian doctrine says the same place you are I do, and given free will and a good heart as your wife has, I have no doubt that when she is given the choice she will choose the light over the dark. Some people figure this out while still in this world, so bypass any chance of condemnation and falling into what the Bible calls the second death. Some people don't figure it out until the second death is one of the choices they can make if they really dislike God that much. This is right from Revelation should you care to look.

The most import bit from the affirmations above was; "Moral principles are tested by their consequences" which means a flexible system (where a Hitler wouldn’t be tolerated) that is unchained by dogma.
Sorry, more muddy thinking. "Moral principles are tested by their consequences" is a rephrasing of "the ends justifies the means", which is why those who don't accept objective morality have had a tendency over history of murdering vast numbers of people to achieve ends they were convinced with worthy.

Without any objective standard of what should be tolerated and what should not, you're left with a subjective valuation of the consequences you wish to judge the moral principles by, which is to say, any outcome can justify any means as long somebody thinks the consequences are righteous in their view. And you can't sidestep this problem by for consequences to be moral, it requires a majority of people to think it so. Murdering babies is an objective moral evil because it denies the sanctity and value of human life. A large majority of democrats think it is just a o.k., but that doesn't alter the fact that it is stone cold evil.

Incidentally, the reason it is reasonable to say that life is sacred is because objective moral reality exists outside the natural world. Without that reality, nothing can be said to be "sacred" or "moral". Context alone would determine that status. Which doesn't mean that behaviors in this world can't be morally judged and punished. What happens in the next is up to the Creator of the thing judged, and if you believe that, then that is why you can be both in favor of capital punishment, and believe in the sanctity of human life. I don't happen to be in favor of capital punishment, but I have no logical argument against it when it is part of a judicial process that is itself objectively moral.

double post

Last edited:
Straw man argument alert....Yes, while Christian doctrine, and the words of Christ by the way, tell us that the repentant sinner can be redeemed, it is false to say that the same set of beliefs mean that an unbaptized person who leads a good life goes to hell.

Well, according to your religion maybe, but others disagree. There are about 9000 people where I live and there are 12 registered churches (but no mosque or synagogue) and I bet each of them figures theirs is the One and True Path. What makes you so sure yours is the right one?

Sorry, more muddy thinking. "Moral principles are tested by their consequences" is a rephrasing of "the ends justifies the means"...

A long winded argument founded on a faulty premise.

Murdering babies is an objective moral evil because it denies the sanctity and value of human life. A large majority of democrats think it is just a o.k., but that doesn't alter the fact that it is stone cold evil.

This is bunk. Anybody who opposes abortion should adopt an unadopted child. Any organization or religion which campaigns against abortion should require their members to adopt, and to be organized in such a way that they can adopt all the children which will be born if they ever get their way. Step up, or shut up!

Last edited:
...and why is this thread on TF?

Well, according to your religion maybe, but others disagree. There are about 9000 people where I live and there are 12 registered churches (but no mosque or synagogue) and I bet each of them figures theirs is the One and True Path. What makes you so sure yours is the right one?
I think that unless one of them is an Animist church, you will find that what they disagree on is rather small compared to the big issues they agree on. The path is the same. The choice of hiking shoes differs.

A long winded argument founded on a faulty premise.
And I thought we were having a rational discussion, but if the "oh yeah, well your mother wears combat boots" response is all you've got to support your position, perhaps it is even weaker than I thought.

This is bunk. Anybody who opposes abortion should adopt an unadopted child. Any organization or religion which campaigns against abortion should require their members to adopt, and to be organized in such a way that they can adopt all the children which will be born if they ever get their way. Step up, or shut up!
I'm too lazy to look up which logical fallacy this is, but it is pretty much the same as saying that if you oppose burglary, you should stand guard outside the local Quickie Mart, or your objections to burglary are invalid.

So, if I do adopt a child, does that mean that my argument that support for abortion is an example of how silly your "morals being tested by their consequences" is make it a true argument, but if I don't adopt a child the exact same argument is false? I think you should be able to see that you have wandered into Alice in Wonderland/Red Queen logic.

And just as a fact check, there are currently 2 million couples waiting to adopt in the US and 50,000 available kids. Even if every woman in the US who had an abortion last year carried the child to term and turned it over for adoption there would still be around 1 million couples who want to provide homes but cannot.

Russia for sometime has been losing population. The accompanying read is on point for some posts in this thread

http://www.thoughtco.com/population-decline-in-russia-1435266

Russia is pretty well screwed.

For those who think the world would be a better place with many fewer humans, it might be worth noticing that there are many more Americans today than 50 years ago. And today, the air is cleaner, the water is cleaner, life expectancy is longer and there are more trees.

There is, however, way too much freaking plastic going into our waste streams, which is something I hope everyone can agree with.

We are having a rational discussion, or as rational as it can be when one side invokes supernatural impossible to prove the existence of god(s). I simply didn’t accept your “the ends justifies the means” (with all its negative connotations) comparison, which was the basis for your argument.

A quick search found that 23,000 kids ‘age out’ of the foster system every year in the USA, and then there are those in permanent care...maybe your source was only counting healthy babies? Point being...what have you done to help children in need, because if you get your way there will be many more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom