Alaska Fishing Lodges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
The wife and I are interested in an Alaska fishing lodge trip next summer.
Anyone have any tips? Or any places that you have been and liked? Looking to go for 5-7 days, two of us. Mostly interested in Halibut fishing.
I hear Homer is a good place as well as Kodiak. But the on-line adds are many to choose from. Looking for the full meal deal to include lodging and food, prefer a guided boat as I am no pro at catching fish.

There are guide and lodge operations in Pelican, SE AK. Lots of halibut there, and big.

I second the remote fishing lodges. I've lived in Homer, Seward, fished out of Kodiak for a few trips. If you have it narrowed down to those 3 areas though I'd choose Seward, Kodiak or Homer in that order.

I second the remote fishing lodges. I've lived in Homer, Seward, fished out of Kodiak for a few trips. If you have it narrowed down to those 3 areas though I'd choose Seward, Kodiak or Homer in that order.

Thank you, I have worked in Seward and Kodiak, fished Kodiak about 18 years ago. But the lodge we went to then is now a private home. There are so many choices.

I can't point you to a specific outfit, but I second (third?) the Cross Sound area - Elfin Cove, Elfin/Pelican/Hoonah general area. Only drawback is you are pretty much confined to the lodge experience there, unlike Homer or Seward or Sitka or the like where you have opportunity to do other touristy things.

If you're not by chance into the floatplane thing, I know a couple outfits up there will pick up/drop you off in Gustavus by boat for an Alaskan flight.

Last edited:
You might check out Pybus Point Lodge, about 75 miles south of Juneau. I have never stayed at the lodge but have been there on our boat, and it's beautiful country and good halibut fishing in the area.

You might check out Pybus Point Lodge, about 75 miles south of Juneau. I have never stayed at the lodge but have been there on our boat, and it's beautiful country and good halibut fishing in the area.

Plus 1000, we watched the sea planes land righ over our boat, took the dink over spoke to the dock staff and viewed the amazing fish cleaning going on. I think it was 4500 to 7500 per head but don't recall. Whatever it is it looked worth it! I need to dig those pictures out.

https://www.pybus.com/

Oh wow, update sold out for 2022, and its 6500 starting per head.

Plus 1000, we watched the sea planes land righ over our boat, took the dink over spoke to the dock staff and viewed the amazing fish cleaning going on. I think it was 4500 to 7500 per head but don't recall. Whatever it is it looked worth it! I need to dig those pictures out.

https://www.pybus.com/

I've anchored in Cannery Cove, in Pybus Bay and saw their operations. They were cleaning a lot of fish. This is beautiful, pristine wilderness and I'm sure there are plenty of halibut to be had in that area. Closest town is Petersburg, well Kake if you count it, but best connections flying in from the lower 48 would probably be out of Ketchikan. The fact that they charge top dollar makes sense in the experience they offer.

Regarding Cannery Cove and Pybus, here are a few pictures from our recent trip. It was a stunner, makes me smile today...Funny, I went on the Grand Alaskan, as an invite from the owner and crew. I had no idea that as I type this I would have one under contract to consider. Always admired those lines.

Attachments

• DSC_0781.jpg
    DSC_0781.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0783.jpg
    DSC_0783.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0794.jpg
    DSC_0794.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0817.jpg
    DSC_0817.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0900.jpg
    DSC_0900.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0812.jpg
    DSC_0812.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0816.jpg
    DSC_0816.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0789.jpg
    DSC_0789.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0830.jpg
    DSC_0830.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 30
Never been there and sadly probably never will. So what does one do with 500 lbs of fish? Catch and release? So I pay $6500 to fly into a lodge for a week (?) Catch 500 lbs of fish. How do I get it home. I don't think it is going on a seaplane. Picked the number 500 after looking at photos. Chose another if you like. The point is it looks like entirely more fish than I would know what to do with.

Last edited:
Never been there and sadly probably never will. So what does one do with 500 lbs of fish? Catch and release? So I pay $6500 to fly into a lodge for a week (?) Catch 500 lbs of fish. How do I get it home. I don't think it is going on a seaplane. Picked the number 500 after looking at photos. Chose another if you like. The point is it looks like entirely more fish than I would know what to do with.

When I went salmon fishing, they would either smoke the fish or vacuum pack and ice it, then FedEx it to my house. What you do with 500lbs of fish then is another question! Friends got tired of being gifted fish!

Regarding Cannery Cove and Pybus, here are a few pictures from our recent trip. It was a stunner, makes me smile today...Funny, I went on the Grand Alaskan, as an invite from the owner and crew. I had no idea that as I type this I would have one under contract to consider. Always admired those lines.

There is so much to love about the lines of the Grand Alaskan. I think it’s incredible looking. I’m a Fleming fan too but the 64 Grand Alaskan raised pilot house is at least as attractive. Just looks so … right.

I'd recommend a place called Pybus Point Lodge
I've been there three times and it's always incredible. It's on Admiralty Island which is a really cool remote place. The fishing is great and so are the accommodations!

I went to Langara Island in northern BC this last summer, it was quite spectacular. Brought home about 90lbs of filets. Can’t recommend them enough!IMG_6294.JPG

In my limited fishing in SE Alaska--I liked having the Halibut--tastes Great-- but I got tired of reeling them in--it is simply hard work bringing them up from 200' +/- depth.
Much preferred catching the salmon..more fun.

They have the cleaning/freezing and shipping of the fish all figured out for you.

In my limited fishing in SE Alaska--I liked having the Halibut--tastes Great-- but I got tired of reeling them in--it is simply hard work bringing them up from 200' +/- depth.
Much preferred catching the salmon..more fun.

They have the cleaning/freezing and shipping of the fish all figured out for you.
Price at Costco 1000001007.jpg

We've made 3 trips to AK that involve fishing.

- The Boat Company / Sitka to Juneau / more than fishing; a 10/10 time - $$$$..$$$$$.$$$$ but absolutely amazing - a small boat cruise (~20 guests, 10 rooms) and a licensed fishing vessel, caught halibut, coho to bring home; spot prawns and crab ate during cruise; amazing; what led us to buying our boat and our dream of doing AK on our own in the coming years. Had this booked for our 20th wedding anniversary and then we bought a nordic tug......:) https://www.theboatcompany.org/ they don't advertise much; fill up by word of mouth; no affiliation, just happy guests

- Kodiak Raspberry Island / a lovely time, fished 3 days, hiked, kayaked, a beautiful setting, lodge was dominated by one family while we were there and it kind of detracted from us as guests; came home with ~150lbs salmon and halibut; ate most of it over a year; 2 adults eating a LOT of fish on a weekly basis; nice place but would probably try another place if we do another lodge.

-Seward / VRBO, chartered day boats; 2 days of salmon fishing, 1 day of halibut fishing (ProFishNSea and JDock); halibut fishing was a long day, ~12 hours with 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back; hard work but we ended up with each 1 large 50-60lb halibut - plenty for a year. Caught limit on Salmon one day but not the other - a good time; also did a nice long hike, a wildlife cruise; we clearly like to do a variety of activities (not just fishing); caught ~150lb fish we are making our way through!

Back
Top Bottom