An Adult Adoption

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: I must share a joyful moment in our lives. And for those offended by any sexual talk, please don't read.

In late May 2013, our Managing Captain asked us if we would talk to his granddaughter. Her parents had told him out out of control she was and their minister was saying she was evil and sinful and needed to be sent away to a camp or something, that he'd tried to help her and Satan just had her under his control. Meanwhile she'd told her grandfather her parents wouldn't listen to her and she was leaving as soon as she graduated high school and turned 18.

We couldn't imagine turning to us for help as we're far from what most would look for regarding parenting with our openness sexually and our nudity around our home, all of which he was well aware of, since he lived in our guest house. However, it indicated his desperation we felt so we agreed, but warned him with, "You do realize our call will not be at all conventional?" He laughed and said, "I'm banking on that."

She called us at 11:30 or so that night, with us already in bed. She had waited until her parents were asleep. She asked if we were naked and we said we were, she asked us to pull the cover off and we said, "No, you don't get to see until you're 18." She found out she couldn't shock us and we would talk about whatever she wanted. Then, she told us the full story. See, this minister had turned on her because she refused sex with him. He'd had it with most of the young girls of the church. So he turned on her dress, her language, her problem with rules, her disrespect for parenting and the church. Otherwise, she'd never been in any legal trouble or school trouble. Somehow though, her parents, like many in the community, had bought in completely to him, the cult leader, all knowing and infallible, a minister beyond refute.

We listened to her talk about her plans to leave town after graduation, move to Raleigh, and become a stripper. We listened, never told her that was a bad idea, because she'd really thought it out as easy way to support herself initially while raising money for college and she'd avoid the pitfalls like drugs. We have two friends who stripped their way through college, one a CEO, one a surgeon now, but also know the majority end up not so well. We simply asked if we could talk more when we came for her graduation and she got excited we'd come for it. We had just really invited ourselves.

After we hung up, I was distraught, but hubby was already searching for a detective in her area and we told the grandfather what was going on. By the time we went to NC, the detective had a long list of victims and was ready to go to the Sheriff. Sheriff was very professional and ready in spite of saying they'd run him out of town. It was a very small rural area.

We went to her graduation and met her parents and then used her undercover to take the minister down. Most of the church members still hate her and feel he was framed although he pled guilty to multiple cases of sex crimes with minors and with adults. This isn't a criticism of churches or religion, but it is quite common for ministers and priests to commit such crimes as they are given inordinate amounts of power. One clergy member in NC was charged with over 100 sex crimes.

We asked if she'd like to come to FL for a vacation and she jumped on the opportunity. At least it held back her stripper career. Her parents were still in disbelief and we recommended secular counseling. We required her to agree to counseling in FL. Understand we know nothing about parenting or anything related but we agreed after a few days she could stay, although we put in rules and the girl who wouldn't follow rules accepted our much different ones. For the summer, work around the house and on the boats doing "stew" duties, then either get a job or go to school. Didn't care what she wore, but when out, let us know where and when she'll be home and call if late and no sex, drinking, or drugs without talking to us about her plans in advance so she understood all aspects. We encouraged her to talk to the school counselor about courses and fine to not know what she wanted to do and change as many times as she wished.

Her parents seemed to understand how wrong things had been and referred to us as her adoptive parents. She even invited them to visit for Thanksgiving. They moved but the father joined a similar church and cheated with a lady there and is out of her life. Her mom, took her father up on help, went to school, became a nurse and then fell in love and married a younger doctor, we've labelled Dr. Boy Toy and he laughs but a good guy as is she. Her mom did instill values of decency and goodness in her as a child. In fact, it's those values that helped her say "no.". Still, she could never be back in her life as a parent and became more like a sister, since they were in college at the same time.

Tabitha shocked herself and fell in love with helping people and became very good at it, got a Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate, with degrees in Psychology, Social Services, and Management of a Non-Profit and runs our private foundation. The concept of adult adoptive parents isn't totally foreign to us as in 2000, over Christmas holidays, we met the couple who became in our minds and theirs, our parents. No, can't legally adopt us as then our marriage would be a crime.

Tabitha met a wonderful man while working. He did pro-bono legal work for her. We love him and his parents. Next Saturday, the wedding, in our yard. Then she moves out and will live 9 houses away, which seems so distant. We'd long thought about legally adopting her but we hated not being able to adopt others we're close to as well and worried how they'd feel, but ultimately it was the right thing. So, at the age of 26, she legally became our daughter on Monday and, yes, I'm crying while typing this. We still know nothing about parenting and nothing conventional about our relationship with her. We sure did learn how it feels to watch them grow up, the joy and the pain. They accomplish all you hoped for and have the perfect fiancée and it's still painful to lose your little girl. My hubby, her daddy, finds it very difficult and I laugh at him but I do as well.

I know most of you have been through this, but we never expected to. No children were in our plans except the ones at school and the orphanage. Often the best things in life are not the ones you planned. They're the ones presented to you and you just hope to be wise enough to go for them. Just to confuse everyone, she'll take our name and she'll keep it after the wedding. Sometimes, if they must appear in court, there will be an advantage for she and her husband not to have the same last names. We're so happy and so proud and our emotions are a bit like:

:dance::D:lol::confused::flowers::thumb::angel::blush::cry::censored::D:D:D:dance::eek::rofl::socool::smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Jim

Wifey B: You're welcome. We don't plan this stuff, it just happens to us and we're the lucky ones who happen to be there. :)

Always nice when there's a happy ending. While it may be wrong to wish ill will on someone, I'd like to think the minister is now on the receiving end.

Ted

Always nice when there's a happy ending. While it may be wrong to wish ill will on someone, I'd like to think the minister is now on the receiving end.

Ted

Unfortunately, he has had to be given special accommodation for his own protection. So, a lot of time alone. I get periodic reports and will follow him until the end. Tabitha later helped another of his victims who had gone to alcohol and drugs. PTSD is typically their primary condition requiring treatment. She was just one who got help, but most didn't and their families didn't seem to even care. In Michelle's case, I will watch him forever, just for what he caused her to suffer. Parole hearings, we'll pack the room. If he ever gets out, he'll be watched full time as we know those like him do not reform.

Unfortunately, he has had to be given special accommodation for his own protection. So, a lot of time alone. I get periodic reports and will follow him until the end. Tabitha later helped another of his victims who had gone to alcohol and drugs. PTSD is typically their primary condition requiring treatment. She was just one who got help, but most didn't and their families didn't seem to even care. In Michelle's case, I will watch him forever, just for what he caused her to suffer. Parole hearings, we'll pack the room. If he ever gets out, he'll be watched full time as we know those like him do not reform.

Like to think there is a special place in hell for him. Preying on the children of your flock should earn you eternal misery.

Ted

BandB, what a great story and a wonderful ending. God has blessed all of you.

Beautiful story!

Wifey B: Thanks for the kind comments as we smile at how fortunate we are. We're not religious in the traditional sense, but we do believe in miracles. Not the kind where someone touches a person and they are healed. Far more subtle. The opportunities we're given, the special people brought into our lives. Tabitha was certainly one given to us. Every kid to come through the orphanage, just knowing the horrific circumstances they escaped. Our friends. Our niece. Meeting each other which was definitely against all odds. Hotel lobby passers by. :D

:dance::D:lol::confused::flowers::thumb::angel::blush::cry::censored::D:D:D:dance::eek::rofl::socool::smitten::smitten::smitten::smitten:

A very cool story, thanks for sharing a great outcome. You have the ability and do not shy away from helping others.

On a less serious note.

You know we are all over 18 here, just saying

A very cool story, thanks for sharing a great outcome. You have the ability and do not shy away from helping others.

On a less serious note.

You know we are all over 18 here, just saying

Wifey B: You clearly didn't read what was said to me a while back. :rolleyes:

I think I did but not going there, just my sense of humour to the door you opened. :rolleyes:

Speaking of over and under 18, I sure miss Oliver being around. I don't know that a lot of members realized how young he was but he was a Nordhavn expert, and an electronics expert many here depended on for information. Great kid and still doing well. We last spoke to him on New Years Day. :)

Wifey B: Ok, guys, the naked and not seeing until she was 18 were an important aspect of building the relationship. I understand the rest, but that was essential to understanding. :)

And, no, none of you are seeing us naked. :nonono:

Wifey B: Ok, guys, the naked and not seeing until she was 18 were an important aspect of building the relationship. I understand the rest, but that was essential to understanding. :)

And, no, none of you are seeing us naked. :nonono:

:rofl: 'us' :facepalm:

Congratulations, and best wishes... may happiness continue to abound in your family.

The family we choose often is waaay more important than our blood family. In my case my first mother in law is still mom after biological mom died of cancer when I was 22. Took 3 times to find an angel that would put up with me but still have my first mom. Amazing people. My bride was adopted at 46 by her step mom. Biological a life long drunk. My bride thought the adoption was silly at first but 6 years later it has been an amazing gift.

BandB you are amazing people. Thank you for sharing your story and may you continue to be blessed and bless those around you.

John

The family we choose often is waaay more important than our blood family. In my case my first mother in law is still mom after biological mom died of cancer when I was 22. Took 3 times to find an angel that would put up with me but still have my first mom. Amazing people. My bride was adopted at 46 by her step mom. Biological a life long drunk. My bride thought the adoption was silly at first but 6 years later it has been an amazing gift.

John

Wifey B: We do encounter those like us, without true parents by birth and encourage them to find surrogate families, create their own. Only children can find siblings. Young people can find grandparents. I've heard all the persons speak that blood was thicker than water but I call that meaningless drivel. Father doesn't always know best. Bless be the real ties that bind, those created by love and caring. :D

Wedding over. Small but beautiful. They're in Antigua now. Had one surprise gift for them, gave them my baby Riva so had to change avatars. So worth it to see her shock, surprise and happiness. :)

Congratulations to the happy couple :D

Wedding over. Small but beautiful. They're in Antigua now. Had one surprise gift for them, gave them my baby Riva so had to change avatars. So worth it to see her shock, surprise and happiness. :)

That was wifey B: speaking. That baby Riva was her favorite and pride and joy.

Congratulations to the happy couple :D

The couple shares a very special passion for helping others. They first met doing that. It's such an important part of who each is. I can't imagine not burning out at some point in Tabitha's job. Hopefully, we've prepared her to admit and accept when that happens. I would be curled up in a fetal position after a few days. I still struggle to accept the victories and look beyond the defeats. She and my wife are both better at that than I am. Drew and Tabitha both have such a good understanding of what each other does and what each other faces.

B&B you are good folks. Thanks for telling us this story.
I see Oliver on Facebook once in a while. He seems to have grown into a fine man. Still messing with boats.

B&B you are good folks. Thanks for telling us this story.
I see Oliver on Facebook once in a while. He seems to have grown into a fine man. Still messing with boats.

Wifey B: Yes, he grew up. It happens. I always wish the best for him as I just really grew to like and respect him. :)

There is nothing more exciting to me than watching kids grow up. And I hate to hear older people blasting and talking about young people negatively. :banghead: I think it's like so many prejudices, that it results from just not knowing many of them personally. I'll put today's young people up against any generation. We, so called adults, can't talk, look at how we've screwed things up. :eek:

I am with you on young people. I really enjoy seeing them overcome challenges, how open they are to try new things, and how kind they are to each other. I mentor several, on an informal basis, and am always impressed at how quick they are in picking concepts up, embracing new ways of solving problems, and their enthusiasm Many who have had a tough deal growing up are just looking for someone who will believe in them, and show them that they matter. Giving young people your time and the benefit of your experience is rewarding and fun.

Sounds to me like your situation is positive for you and for them. Nice post to read.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom