5,283,000 gallon oil spill into river

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Permafrost melting below a diesel storage tank at a mine site in Russian arctic causes rupture and spill of 20,000 Tonnes, or 5,283,000 US gallons, of fuel into a river.

Authorities notified two days after spill. Another example, like Covid-19, where bad news doesn't travel fast up the chain of command in authoritarian political systems.

Makes one ponder pipelines and melting permafrost...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52941845

Not good news. Hopefully, some lessons can be learned??

While people debate climate change down south, business is picking up for this permafrost refreezing company:

As the arctic, sub-arctic, and antarctic regions of the world are developed, one of the major engineering and construction obstacles is the permafrost. Our frozen lands are a design challenge to planners, engineers, and contractors.

Climatic changes and surface damage due to development have caused thawing and degradation of this frozen ground. Repeated thawing and freezing causes heaving, sloughing, and creeping. It can destroy foundations in a matter of seasons.

https://arcticfoundations.com

Permafrost melting below a diesel storage tank at a mine site in Russian arctic causes rupture and spill of 20,000 Tonnes, or 5,283,000 US gallons, of fuel into a river.

Authorities notified two days after spill. Another example, like Covid-19, where bad news doesn't travel fast up the chain of command in authoritarian political systems.

Makes one ponder pipelines and melting permafrost...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52941845

Like the Russians have every worried about the environment?

Hollywood

Hollywood

Ya, and whatever indigenous peoples used to live, fish, and hunt there were probably forced out long ago. Still, the rivers would flow into the Arctic Ocean, which we share.

Hollywood

Ya, and whatever indigenous peoples used to live, fish, and hunt there were probably forced out long ago. Still, the rivers would flow into the Arctic Ocean, which we share.

Hollywood my same thoughts. They have no environment regulations in Russia.

USA or Canada has no say over what the Russians do or don't do.

Alaska has proven time and time again that oil exploration can be done in a safe responsible way. DRILL BABY DRILL!!:thumb:

...Alaska has proven time and time again that oil exploration can be done in a safe responsible way. DRILL BABY DRILL!!:thumb:

A review of North Slope oil spills from 2006 to 2009 shows that three to six major spills a year are the norm. The total amount of oil, natural gas and wastewater—all harmful to Arctic tundra—spilled on the North Slope during those years is estimated at nearly 660,000 gallons. Even more oil is spilled from oil and gas exploration, vessel operations and pipe- lines in other parts of the state.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/~/media/assets/2010/05/10/alaskaspillshighlight-risk.pdf

If that's what you consider safe, I hope you don't operate a condom factory :D

Won't even bring up drunk in a bunk supertanker Captains or rock cuddling fuel barges.

Murray,

A couple points, and I am not picking a fight here.

1. What did you think of the US not allowing the XL pipeline to be completed. I assume this hurt the Canadian economy and thus Canadian citizens. I am not sure how much money the US missed out on either.

2. In the US, one significant polluter and ongoing threat is the Canadian energy company Enbridge. The Enbridge pipeline that burst in Kalamazoo dumped quite a bit of oil into the Kalamazoo river. Enbridge owns most or all of the pipelines in Michigan. What do you think of the pipeline they want to put in under the straights of Mackinaw to replace the current pipeline that is simply laying on the bottom?

My point is that Canadians play a significant role in energy pollution. It seems that we ought to promote the replacement of old lines and installation of new ones. XL and Mackinaw being held up or denied is not really good for the environment either in my opinion. If I were king we would go nuclear and be done with it. Bill

Murray,

A couple points, and I am not picking a fight here...

Hi Bill, no fight perceived :thumb:

There is no consensus in Canada about oil, and there are very regional differences of opinion across the country. Alberta, of course, is for the most part all for any pipeline going any direction. The problem with Alberta is they are land locked and decided to 'go all in' with delivering diluted bitumen instead of refining or upgrading. (More on that lower down).

Funny you should mention Enbridge. The Kalamazoo Enbridge spill happened while the company had a massive dual pipeline and supertanker port proposal from the Alberta tar sands to my home town of Kitimat about 11 years ago. It didn't get built.

The Kalamazoo was a huge wake up call as to how difficult it is to clean bitumen from the bottom of a river, particularly when they had to shut down cleaning attempts when the river got cold. Up here the rivers would be too cold most of the year.

BC has had a moratorium on oil & gas exploration off BC's coast for decades because we don't want to risk our coastal environment or the fish and other species that live or migrate through here, or the livelihoods of those people who derive cultural or financial benefit from them.

Why then, British Columbian's ask, should we shoulder all the risks from pipelines through the Coast Mountains or supertankers zigzagging around islands getting into and out of Douglas Channel if we aren't willing to do it for our own resources?

Again, if it was upgraded oil products being delivered out of Alberta and not diluted bitumen (which would sink into the salmon spawning gravel of BC's rivers) there wouldn't have been so much opposition to the Enbridge Northern Gateway project.

There are some people on TF who work in the tar sands, so I expect some to offer an alternative view. I'll ask them; Why did Alberta go all in with diluted bitumen? Why is Alberta in debt? Why is Alberta not charging higher royalties? Where did the money go?

Albertan's might want to answer those questions first before they start pointing fingers at others for their problems.

On nuclear, isn't there a type of reactor with some sort of "salt plug" which will not allow the reactor to have a meltdown? Seem to remember that from a Ted Talk where the young fellow giving the presentation suggested there could be many of these built underground which could run using materials generated and in storage from nuclear weapons manufacturing, and could run on that alone for decades. Something to look into...

Last edited:
5 mill gal, would take a tank about 120’ dia and 50’ tall. Not too large an area.
The spill is diesel, 40 to 70 percent will end up in the atmosphere. Will there be some damage, yes. Will it be as bad as Valdez, not by a long shot. It is not crude oil. Will their clean up be as intense as a US spill, I doubt it. Sleep tight Murray, your waters are safe, but you may catch the virus!

5 mill gal, would take a tank about 120’ dia and 50’ tall. Not too large an area.
The spill is diesel, 40 to 70 percent will end up in the atmosphere. Will there be some damage, yes. Will it be as bad as Valdez, not by a long shot. It is not crude oil. Will their clean up be as intense as a US spill, I doubt it. Sleep tight Murray, your waters are safe, but you may catch the virus!

Thankfully northern BC is pretty safe from the virus, so far!

News such as the diesel spill saddens me. Cumulative impacts and migratory species bind us all together. It's a small planet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom