Trip to Apalachicola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, here is a site I use they are predicting good sea conditions for several days, http://www.stormsurf.com/locals/tampa.shtml
click on the "Gulf of Mexico - Sea Height" icon under the opening chart.
Where are you staying in Apalachicola? I hope we'll see you out on the water one of these days.
Good Trip!

I use Windytv for same info. Will check out stormsurf though. Thanks.
I am at the public dock. No electric, water or pump out but I don’t need any of that. Police chief/harbormaster came by this ,owning. We had nice chat. Said no charge as we spent money in town. Definitely Old Florida here, but charming. Met nice folks in town. Heading out at 4pm. 18 hours from here to Anclote Key.

We we're on the new EDock.

Just spent seven weeks trying to get my deposit back, finally had to back charge them on credit card.

We are in Key West for another month, then St Augustine for several months, then back to Key West until after New Years.

If we return, will not be to Marina Del Ray.

Steve – a couple of questions re post 28. I’ve never had my boat in or west of the Mississippi, at least not above Empire or so. These are new guy questions.

First, during early May the River was 13-14’ and falling at the Carrolton gage. Just by eyeball, the current was substantial in that period. I think I know that, during normal stages, the current runs 2.5 – 3.5 k at New Orleans. I also know that the current varies substantially depending on local features at any given point in the River. Any idea as to the magnitude of the River currents you encountered between the Industrial and Harvey locks? How did you evaluate that in your planning?

Second, why did you choose Harvey versus the downstream Algiers locks?

I’ve enjoyed following your travels and hope to heck to attend one of your get-togethers – just can’t seem to get schedules to work.

If I may chime in. Staying to the sides of the river, there is virtually no current. Especially on the 'inside' curve.

Harvey locks are small, so no commercial traffic, no/little waiting. Algiers, we have waited between 4 and 12 hours. There is very little distance difference beween the two so Harvey is the best choice by far.

Thanks, dimer. Makes sense.

Yes, here is a site I use they are predicting good sea conditions for several days, Tampa Bay Surf Report (STORMSURF)
click on the "Gulf of Mexico - Sea Height" icon under the opening chart.
Where are you staying in Apalachicola? I hope we'll see you out on the water one of these days.
Good Trip!

Steve,

I've tried that site a few times, but find it horribly confusing. Can't enlarge the map, not sure what I'm looking at, and poor help. Thoughts on how to figure it out?
I like Windytv also... lots of info, and the bouys charts

Steve – a couple of questions re post 28. I’ve never had my boat in or west of the Mississippi, at least not above Empire or so. These are new guy questions.

First, during early May the River was 13-14’ and falling at the Carrolton gage. Just by eyeball, the current was substantial in that period. I think I know that, during normal stages, the current runs 2.5 – 3.5 k at New Orleans. I also know that the current varies substantially depending on local features at any given point in the River. Any idea as to the magnitude of the River currents you encountered between the Industrial and Harvey locks? How did you evaluate that in your planning?

Second, why did you choose Harvey versus the downstream Algiers locks?

I’ve enjoyed following your travels and hope to heck to attend one of your get-togethers – just can’t seem to get schedules to work.

I know that this was directed to Steve but I would like to chime in if I may.

First of all, I can’t think of any ‘normal’ current in the Mississippi River. It varies by where you are and the ‘fall’ of the river over a short distance, what the width and depth of the river is, how many bends are in a stretch and the vessels position within the bend. It takes years of experience to read the river and even a section you know well varies from day to day.

That said, the section from Algiers Lock to Harvey Lock has only one major bend though it’s a doozy (Algiers Point) which is all of a sharp 120 degree turn and has the deepest sounding in the river at about 180’ mlw. At high river, down bound traffic are fighting like crazy to make the bend. If you are up bound, best be tucked well inside the point to stay clear of vessels being swept to the outside of the point. It is interesting to watch a large ship or tow work this bend, they start the turn after passing under the GNO Bridge which is a mile upstream. By the time the are into the bend and fully broadside to the stream they are making four knots sideways!

Traveling east to west along the ICWW upon exiting Industrial Lock you have two choices, turn left and head down bound about a mile to the Algiers Lock which is a straight shot with no bends. Or turn right and head upriver about eight and a half miles against the current and around Algiers Point to the Harvey Lock.

The local river gauge is at Carrollton Bend which is further upriver again from Harvey Lock. Low river is considered anything below three and a half feet on the Carrollton Gauge. Mean current at that gauge is 2-3 knots.

High river is considered anything above twelve feet on the gauge. Mean current will be at least five knots. Note that is mean current, it may be higher or lower in places. At this stage the USCG requires additional hp on tows, additional rigging on tows and barge fleets and additional reporting requirements. You don’t want to fall overboard in these conditions, even with a life jacket. You are likely to be swept away, dragged under and many unfortunates end up under barges in fleets where there is no way to get to the surface. Although I say that the mean current is five knots I have seen eight knot vessels struggle to average one knot upriver at this river stage.

At fourteen feet on the gauge the river is really running hard. The pressure on the levees is substantial. The Corps of Engineers will start opening gates on the Bonnet Carre Spillway to divert some flow into Lake Pontchartrain. It will never be allowed to go above 18’ because levees would top or fail. Once Bonnet Carre is fully open, they will start to open the Morganza Spillway above Baton Rouge which diverts water into the Atchafalaya Basin. This has only happened twice in the 40 years or so I have lived and worked on the river.

So, in my opinion, if the river is anything over say 5-7’ on the gauge, it’s a no brainer to use Algiers Locks if you are inexperienced on the river.

Both locks have published telephone numbers. If you have doubt, call the individual Lock masters to find out if you will have any delay in locking through. Harvey Canal is much more industrialized than the Algiers Cut Off Canal. You are likely to meet much more commercial traffic moving in and out compared to the Algiers Canal where you will meet larger but fewer steadily moving tows. There is a reason the traveling (non local shift tows) tows use the Algiers Locks. It’s easier.

Hope this helps your planning thoughts.

Many thanks, McG! A lot of good insights. Exactly what I was wondering about. My questions were driven by curiosity rather than need. I’ve no current plans to go west – I always head east from here. I have a nice sailboat in Seabrook available to me if I get the urge to explore the TX coast.

I just don’t see the River as anything but a hostile environment for a plastic rec boat. I know people do it – including canoers – with success.

I have watched and been fascinated by the high river downstream maneuver to make the Algiers Point turn many times – you do not exaggerate! Tankers, tows, and breakbulk carriers full broadside to the current, prop churning, to make the turn. Quite a bit of dynamic, big league seamanship.

Years ago, there was a restaurant/bar on the Algiers Point batture (Algiers Landing?). Great fun taking visiting friends for drinks on their deck during a high river to watch the show of downstream transiting ships and tows. If you didn’t know better, you’d think the ships (bow on) were joining you for dinner. Actually, there were several allisions at the place that (along with other reasons) caused the local authorities to revoke the restaurant’s permit and led to its demolition.

My hat’s off to Steve for having the knowledge and confidence in his and his boat’s ability to negotiate the River. For me, I think I’ll leave that to the pros.

Sorry for the delay in replying, for some reason the few times I have used the Algiers locks I have experienced long delays getting through so usually go via Harvey where I have usually, not always, had less wait time. In view of the river height this last trip I was thinking of going down to Algiers and giving that a try, during the long wait at Industrial lock to get into the river I spoke with a friend in Venice, he said a crew boat he works with had just come in after a 24 hr wait at Algiers and said it was very crowded there I heard similar on the VHF. I phoned the lock keeper at Harvey and was told about an hour wait. So we headed up river, like Dimmer mentioned we hugged the East bank and the current wasn't bad at all when we got up even with Harvey we crossed over and did have about an hour wait. We locked through with a Texas bound sailboat and a "light boat" tug.
When we locked into the river at Industrial Lock that morning there was a fellow in a about 32' trawler heading up the river to Arkansas SOLO! He had recently bought the boat in FL and was bringing it home. I never heard more from him I hope he made it ok, the boat was I believe a Chungn Wha with Antique registration tags, the name of the boat was CITADEL.
Seevee Re. the Stormsurf map I use it mainly for planning when crossing to or from Apalachicola to Tampa or Tarpon Springs, I don't think one can zoom in or out with the map, but, so far it has been pretty accurate at predicting good weather windows when I have used it

Probably too late by the time you see this, but we brought my Endeavour 44 catamaran trawler from Clearwater to apalachacola, then thru the intracoastal thru Panama. City, destin on to New Orleans. The marinas in Appalachacola and Panama City we’re decimated by the storm, very few operating. Make sure you call ahead. Many shown in the waterways guide are not open

Jack Hulse
“Two’s Company”
Endeavour 44 Cat Trawler

Thanks! will be heading, by car, that way in July for a week will check things out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom