South Florida Circumnavigation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnbuoy

Getting ready to take Eleven Eleven from NC to the Keys via the ICW. Hope to head back from Islamorada to Ft. Myers, then the Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart to complete the loop. Plan on anchorages at Little Shark River, Ten Thousand Islands near Everglades City.
Would like some advice from Ten Thousand Islands on to Ft. Myers. Is there sufficient depth inland from Goodland to Naples or should we plan on staying offshore to Ft. Myers. If offshore, what inlets are feasible if we need to duck in.
Eleven Eleven is a 34ft trawler with 4ft draft and will cruise 7.5 to 8kts. No schedule so can wait on weather when necessary.

There is no inland passage close or near to the ten thousand Islands . In fact water is very shallow for quite a few miles out . And the water is brown stained with tannins coming out of the glades so visual navigation is impossible . You can pick up deeper water to run behind Marco but still a lot of changing shoals . You can run behind Fort Myers beach ,but can also be tight . You can pick up ICW at Sanibel causeway and pretty good water all the way back . Okeechobee is still pretty high right now , but they are letting water off .

Depends what you consider inland. Many would consider Coon Key Pass, for instance on up to Goodland an inside route vs going around Cape Romano shoals. The water isn't so bad inside the first set of islands on the gulf.

I was going to make more detailed comments, but it's been a few years now, and one big hurricane, so what worked for us in the past may not be valid now, We saw that first hand , before and after Charley. Best to call your towing company and a few marinas for advice, besides you want to find out what shape things are in after Irma. The latest District 7 LNM is always a must read, especially if you don't have up to the minute charts.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/lnms/lnm07452017.pdf.

JB

I’ve taken Coon Key Pass to Naples with a four foot draft many times, well marked but not since these last few hurricanes. Cape Romano Shoals are well marked and you will need to go off shore of these if you go outside.

Thanks for the replies.
The wife doesn't like to be offshore any more than necessary so would like to try Coon Key Pass. Will make a few calls to check on current conditions before we begin that leg of the trip.

We did that inland passage behind Marco Is. in March of 2010 southbound, had no problems. We spent a night at anchor at Tripod Key and headed south through Coon Key Pass, Gulivan Bay, to Shark River anchorage for a night, the next day on to Marathon.
That was almost 8 years ago so it may have changed. There is Coon Key Marina at Goodlands I'd give them a call, they should have the latest information.

There is more information on my blog link below mid March 2010.

The problem is that route is covered with mud flats which may have been displaced but the powerful storms. Local knowledge is preferred.

Back
Top Bottom