Old 06-20-2015, 06:38 AM   #1

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
Rockport to Galveston ICW

Taking our first week long cruise after 4th of July and would like some input on possible ICW stops and anchorages on the way.

We ran the ditch last summer when we brought the boat home so I am familiar with the route and spent the night in Matagorda marina but didn’t do anything else along the way.

Looking at Army Hole, St Bernard River as possible stopovers - any other suggestions? We draft 3.5’ so hopefully can find some quiet spots with plenty of water.

Also plan on staying at the yacht basin in Galveston - would Offats Bayou / Moody Gardens be an option w/o a dingy?
KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I've been to the Army hole years ago but it was pretty skinny water iirc.

Also don't remember doing much at the hole other than being hot. 😳
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Check Active Captain, there is an anchorage just south of Oyster Lake. Moody Gardens has a small marina but on the 4th that may be a problem. They do take reservations but we, and others, have found that to be a hit or miss proposition. The anchorage at Offatts is big but without a dinghy you will be confined to the boat.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Army Hole is a stopover that every Texas ICW sailor should make at least once. Not as inviting since the State Parks System abandoned their post on the island, as the nice outdoor brackish water shower under the palm trees and free truck rides across the island to beach were great perks. Still a lot of history there to see there if you cruise with an off-road bicycle on board. The Civil War circa cast iron lighthouse, miles of WWII era bomber runways, and the isolated beach are 3mi or less bike ride. Quiet protected dockage at the Government dock (make sure you bring a fender board setup), or there is good anchorage in 6-7' water just before you enter the turning basin on the East side of the channel if you have a dink. With your shallow draft, you shouldn't have any trouble getting through the area that shoals right at the last markers into the turning basin....usually has some PVC pipes stuck in mud to mark. Be aware that the resident raccoons will visit your boat during the night if you tie up to the dock...just don't leave any food outside and all they will leave is a few paw prints. The entrance to the access channel (Air Force Cut) from ICW shoals and shifts regularly, but I've always been able to poke around with 5' sailboat keels and find the sweet spot getting in there.

If you don't want to spend the time to go into Army Hole and you just want a good place to drop the hook overnight, your next best place is Greens Bayou (Matagorda Bay ICW South of "R4". Excellent holding ground, quiet water, and good protection from prevailing summer winds.

Palacios Channel is a 12-14mi run North from this area and diesel is available from the commercial shrimp docks. Was down there yesterday and looks like the private marina took a hit from TS Bill. The floating dock we used to have our sailboat is no longer floating....guess for the first time in a couple years, I'm glad I don't have a boat!

Not much else between Port O'Connor and Matagorda Harbor.
Enjoy the trip!
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #5

City: Guthrie, OK
Army Hole is a great stop. Take mosquito spray. If you go out to walk on the old runways, keep an eye out for critters that live there. But, it's a fascinating place.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Thanks for all the info.

Will do on the active captain / may try and post updates if we can figure it out. Thought we would also try the eBoat card feature.

We plan to take bikes to check out Matadorda island - after the last month I hope it is hot and DRY!

Grey sailor - appreciate the detail on the getting back there. Have to ask- what is a fender board setup?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. KD. Fender board: for use with dolphin poles (sorry about the blow boat image)...

Old 06-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #8
Guru

I was trying to figure out how to explain a fender board when here comes RTF with "a picture is worth a thousand words". Is there anything you don't have a picture for?

We also used them in locks with concrete walls. But that was back in the good old days when we had a blowboat.

Bob
Old 06-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BH. "Is there anything you don't have a picture for?"

Old 06-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

aha!! - got it, thanks for the pic.

Wish I had something like that on hand at our boat yard last year. Beats tying the fender sideways - have my project for this week!!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDeep View Post
Taking our first week long cruise after 4th of July and would like some input on possible ICW stops and anchorages on the way.

We ran the ditch last summer when we brought the boat home so I am familiar with the route and spent the night in Matagorda marina but didn’t do anything else along the way.

Looking at Army Hole, St Bernard River as possible stopovers - any other suggestions? We draft 3.5’ so hopefully can find some quiet spots with plenty of water.

Also plan on staying at the yacht basin in Galveston - would Offats Bayou / Moody Gardens be an option w/o a dingy?
Check on flooding comditions before you go up the San Bernard. With all the rain lately, all the rivers between Corpus and Galveston are flooding and carrying lots of debris. We had a trip planned up the San Bernard this week and had to cancel. Too much risk of hitting a submerged tree.

Offats Bayou is very nice. We are anchored there now. A dinghy is helpful but not essential. There are a few marinas a where dinghy is not needed. Pelican's Rest is very nice. If you want to anchor, the water is deep with good holding.

Freeport Marina is a good stop. There is usually a dock party going on. Some very colorful characters.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 PM   #12

thanks Drake - we are only doing 1 day in Galveston so we may stick the yacht basin so we are closer to the oil rig museum.

I saw your post on the San Bernard last fall - did you ever make it up there at all?

We are looking for additional things to do that are a couple of days out of Rockport so may look into that a little closer down the line. Hopefully can at least find the anchorage listed on AC just south of the ICW.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
thanks Drake - we are only doing 1 day in Galveston so we may stick the yacht basin so we are closer to the oil rig museum.

I saw your post on the San Bernard last fall - did you ever make it up there at all?

We are looking for additional things to do that are a couple of days out of Rockport so may look into that a little closer down the line. Hopefully can at least find the anchorage listed on AC just south of the ICW.
To be close to the museum have you considered Harbor House Marina?

Bob
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
I worked on commercial tows in that area for years but never went up the Victoria Barge Canal. I would ask you locals if there is anything note worthy up that area? Also, I concur on the debris/flooding etc.. that takes place in that area. You go for days traveling the ICW without any trees being seen then after a major rain event the Brazos and Colorado are packed with them. I always wondered where the heck they all came from.

Safe travels
dan
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:

We have not made the trip yet. Tried several times, but weather always seems to get in the way. I did contact someone who lives on the river and got thefollowing info:

ICW and San Bernard intersection: Mile 405, 100 yards south of intersection
good for anchoring, don't venture further since the mouth is closed and the
area is very shallow.

San Bernard River: 14 - 16' feet deep, no sand bars. Tow boats and barges
travel to the Phillips 66 refinery 25 miles up river, one or two trips a day or night.

Mile 10 OVHD PWR CAB is 60' clearance.
Mile 10.5 Churchill Bridge 43' vertical clearance.
Mile 17 FM 521 bridge 45' vertical clearance.
Mile 20 RR bridge 19' vertical clearance.
Mile 25 Phillips barge terminal, can anchor above to Black Ferry Bridge.
Mile 26 Black's Ferry Bridge 13' vertical clearance, water is deep to there.

Restaurants: Mile 4 - 2J's Restaurant 979-964-3233, mile 13 - Dido's
Restaurant 979-964-3167, Nancy Kanter, possible overnight tie up

Channel 10 working channel on San Bernard.

If you are in Galveston, don't miss the museum about the 1900 hurricane. Very interesting.

Have you gone south to Port Aransas and Corpus Christi? Close to you and great places to visit.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:18 PM   #16

thanks for the details on the San Bernard - will give you an update on what we find, may have to at least make it to the 1st restaurant.

We spend most of our time in Port A around the Lydia Ann and off the jetties. We kept the boat there last summer, but prefer the slower pace of Rockport.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #17

Our first week long voyage is complete! Thanks to everyone for the insight and advice– we did not take as many side trips as planned and ended up in a marina every night so the dog was very happy! Weather was perfect, boat ran great – success all around.

The Galveston Yacht Basin was very convenient to bike to The Strand and had plenty of turning room, however their covered slips are starting to rust out and during a short rainstorm we ended up with a couple of pieces rusted metal on our deck and got pretty wet from the holes.

The Olympia Grill at Pier 21 was great and FYI they allow dogs on the patio! 1900 Hurricane Movie was very good and the oil rig museum was worth the tour if you don't know much about the industry. Too much to do in our short time - will have to make another trip and stick to Offatts Bayou and Moody Garden next time.

Matagorda Marina is excellent on the pocket book at $1 per foot and diesel was only $2.35. Kids loved the crab burger (so is it a crabbie patty?? ☺) at the adjacent restaurant and the bait shop had a pretty good selection of all the basics.

Sanctuary Marina just outside of Port O’Connor was also very nice; no services, but large slips, quiet location, extremely clean restrooms can’t be beat.

We have our fender boards ready for the next time through to stop at Army Hole and will have to venture into the San Bernard another day.

Thanks again -

Paul
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #18

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Sorry, I didn't see this earlier. We're based in the yacht basin, it's slowly getting better, but they have a long road ahead, especially after Ike. Sounds like you found the place to eat in Matagorda (probably the only place too). As for Offatts Bayou, you can go to Pelican Rest or Moody Gardens. I'd go for Moody, just call the hotel and make a reservation for the marina. You also get room service and they usually give you passes for some of the activities at Moody Gardens. We usually stay there after Thanksgiving weekend, which is pretty nice. You have access to the winter light festival.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote