Old 12-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Guru

City: Houma, Louisiana
Vessel Name: M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Model: 45ft Bluewater Coastal
IHNC (Industrial Canal) Lock closing for repair

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!!
Industrial Canal Lock or Inner Harbor Navigation Canal Lock ( New Orleans) Will be closed from August through October 2016. This was passed on to me from a marine service in that area for those that may be planning on going that way in the fall of 2016.
kartracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Sure puts SeaBrook out of business for that time, doesn't it? I wasn't able to find this on any official site. Are you sure your source hadn't just heard a rumor? The USACE site has no mention although it's nearly a year in advance and that doesn't surprise me.

The last I heard any potential replacement of the lock was on hold for an environmental study.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
Guru

BandB This is from a company that rents marine equipment in that area.

Barges:

Harvey, LA– Deck Barges, Drop Spud Barges, Power Spud Barges, Shale Deck Barges

Bourg/Houma, LA– Deck Barges, Shale Deck Barges, Power Spud Barges

Morgan City, LA–Deck Barges

Channelview, TX– Deck Barges, Drop Spud Barges

Venice, LA– Deck Barges, Shale Deck Barges

Coatzacoalcos, Mexico– Deck Barges

Lock Note: The IHNC lock will be closed August through October 2016.

CHRIS NATAL
Logistics Manager

www.mcdonoughmarine.com

OFFICE 504-780-8100
DIRECT
504-335-1843
FAX
504-780-8200
CELL 504-812-0060
EMAIL cnatal@mcdonoughmarine.com
3500 North Causeway Blvd. Ste 900
Metairie, LA 70002

Old 01-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
I just called the lock and was told that the closing was not for sure and that they were "trying to work it out". So I guess time will tell.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #5
Guru

Did they say when they would know?
Old 01-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Did they say when they would know?
No they didn't. Might be able to get more info from the lock office than the locktender but the office was closed today.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Guru

Here is a link to the lock conditions and contact info.

INNER HARBOR NAVIGATIONAL CANAL LOCK Status - New Orleans District - U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Old 01-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Guru

There have been so many twists and turns for this lock. I think the environmental study is now set for June completion. They were ready to proceed along the path toward a new lock to remove the bottleneck until this came up as an issue. So, I'd think this is probably a possibility at this time but not sure anything related to this lock is a definite. Thanks for the heads up though and the warning of potential. We do occasionally cruise to NOLA and would definitely not want to get there to find the lock closed.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Guru

I will ask Chris to keep me updated on this matter.
Happy New Year All !!!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #10
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
If I remember right they were down several months of repairs a few years ago. It would sure be nice if there were two locks on the east side of the river like on the west; Harvey and Algiers. I guess one could go from Harvey down river to Baptiste Collette and head east from there. Looks like about 50 miles though, maybe not too bad going down river, but, it sure would be a long haul fighting the current heading upriver.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We do occasionally cruise to NOLA and would definitely not want to get there to find the lock closed.
No need to travel through locks unless you're traveling from the West or going further West of N.O. Go into Lake P and dock at South Shore, Westend or Seabrook. Just a 10 min. ride into downtown, no locks coming in from Miss Sound.. Besides you have the whole Northshore area to visit while in the lake, which for me is more enjoyable than the quarter! (Safer too!)
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
No need to travel through locks unless you're traveling from the West or going further West of N.O. Go into Lake P and dock at South Shore, Westend or Seabrook. Just a 10 min. ride into downtown, no locks coming in from Miss Sound.. Besides you have the whole Northshore area to visit while in the lake, which for me is more enjoyable than the quarter! (Safer too!)
French quarter is what attracts us. Music and food. I wish it was like it once was. I've heard the stories and seen a few photos of it in the 60's. We've taken different routes entering and leaving.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #13
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Off subject, I know - how was your visit to our fair city, B&B ? Where'd you wind up docking?
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Off subject, I know - how was your visit to our fair city, B&B ? Where'd you wind up docking?
Seabrook. We loved our visit. One thing we've found is to love places based on their own personalities, not in comparison to other places. We love music and really enjoyed all the French Quarter music, especially some of the tradition like Preservation Hall. There's the excitement and the glitter and bling but then just the warmth of a place like that and the fun just sitting there listing to them jam.

Commander's Palace was a great experience. We wanted the tradition of it.

I wish Bourbon Street was what it once was with the unique clubs and entertainment. We enjoyed so much of the history from small museums to the sculpture garden to the historical tours to Jackson Square, the St. Louis Cathedral, Frenchmen Street. We loved Mardi Gras World, although we saw it right after Mardi Gras, not in the exciting time leading up to it.

We enjoyed visiting small stores and shops in the daytime and did visit several art galleries, but there are literally hundreds it seemed so much more to see on future visits.

We also made sure to see the reminders that for those living in New Orleans, life isn't all bright lights and parties. Yes, we went out on Lake Ponchartrain and saw the beauty across the lake but that's a life the majority of people don't even dream of.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Wish I'd have looked at this thread sooner - I'd have bought you a cafe au lait while you were in town.

Nothing is like it used to be. But, I swear, I can walk down Pirates' Alley next to the Cathedral in the wee hours on a foggy winter night and hear the sound of Spanish boots and scabbards.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post

Nothing is like it used to be. .
We haven't yet cruised to any place we didn't enjoy. You just focus on the positive and every town has something that makes it special. Then there are some so distinctly different that the others and New Orleans fits there with it's uniqueness. The music experience alone made it special for us. Then add on the art and architecture. There is no other French Quarter, only one. It's not as it once was, but still unique.

We do try also to complement our tourism with walking around enough and talking to people and trying to get a feel for what it is like living in the places we visit. Often that leaves us confused, other times sad, other times surprisingly uplifted, a couple of times angry. I would say New Orleans left us a bit confused as we tried to understand why some of the poorest came back after Katrina. They couldn't explain it either, just said it was "home." Some have accepted conditions and situations because it's what they've always lived in. You do see signs of improvement, just very slow.

To us one of the most interesting aspects of post-Katrina was the reform of the school system in the city. Katrina in essence wiped out one of the worst and most corrupt school systems imaginable. While there is still a long way to go the new approach was most unique and continues to be studied and debated. However, without question it was an improvement and hopefully can improve much more. For those not familiar, the state took over the school system but then essentially made every school autonomous. Now the schools are all independent charter schools. The school board basically controls only the assets now, not the operations. It's back to the future to neighborhood schools run by the individual principals. Autonomous schools can be good or bad. However, in comparing not to other districts but to New Orleans before Katrina, there has definitely been improvement. Definitely interesting talking to a lady with five kids who lived previously in the 9th Ward and never for one moment thought about not returning.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Take the scenic route around Grand Isle and Barrataria Bay up to Lafitte.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook TX
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
I spoke with the I.H.N.C. lock office on 5/10/16 and was told the the lock is scheduled to be closed Aug/Sept/Oct 2016. The I.H.N.C. status report still shows "There are no scheduled closures to report at this time".
I have to say that the person I spoke with seemed very sure of his information and did not hesitate when answering.
Steveg353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #19
Guru

Up Date On Closure:

SPOTLIGHT ON THE UPCOMING CLOSURE OF THE INDUSTRIAL LOCK

The Inner Harbor Navigation Canal (INHC) Lock in New Orleans, commonly referred to as the Industrial Lock, is one of the busiest structures along the inland waterways. The upcoming planned 120 day outage may have an impact on logistics planning for projects along the Gulf Coast. The outage is scheduled to commence on August 01, 2016.

The U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers (USACE) has established a temporary alternate route to be used during the lock closure. The Chandeleur Sound Alternate Route will run from Bayou Baptiste Colette (which is just above Venice, LA), crossing Breton Sound and Chandeleur Sound, to the intersection of the Gulfport Ship Channel and the Intracoastal Waterway.

While utilization of this alternate route adds approximately 75 miles of transit to Gulfport and destinations further east, the impact on transit times may in some instances be less significant as you will avoid standby delay at the INHC Lock. This delay can typically range from 12 to 24 hours, and occasionally, up to 48 hours.

Canal Barge, through our industry organization GICA (Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association), has worked closely with the USACE on developing a plan to continue to safely navigate the alternate route and minimize the impact on commerce. The USACE will be regularly providing updates via their website here.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #20

City: Carrollton, Va
Baptiste Colette is shallow and not well marked. I hope they have done some work to it....
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote