Old 08-22-2019, 04:54 PM   #1

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: WIXHAUSEN
Vessel Model: Jefferson 42
Gulf Trip

We are planning to head out from Fort Myers to the Gulf and Marco Island. First time, would like ideas of where would be nice areas to cruise through.
Rondalw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondalw1 View Post
We are planning to head out from Fort Myers to the Gulf and Marco Island. First time, would like ideas of where would be nice areas to cruise through.

I’m in Ft Myers too (Paradise Marina) , I came from Caribbean. If you want to go to Key West, maybe I’ll go too [emoji6]
Be carefull in Marco Island, the channel is too swallow
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
Quote:
We made the trip from Key West in the opposite direction early this year. A few nights in/around the Everglades was the highlight of our trip.

https://youtu.be/FPl2zNd7E7Y
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:48 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Very nice video, congrats
I have a drone too, but some times I afraid to flight, to windy
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Reach out to the local Port Captain(s).
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We liked stopping in Naples, thence down (or up on the return trip) the scenic inland waterway to Marco. Stay inside the markers and check with your towing provider for any current issues; I went down there early last year on a friend's small boat and there was plenty of water (I kept my eye on the sounder just out of curiousity to see if much had changed since we took our big boat through there 10 years ago. Some pretty places to anchor as well.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 AM   #7
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We liked stopping in Naples, thence down (or up on the return trip) the scenic inland waterway to Marco. Stay inside the markers and check with your towing provider for any current issues; I went down there early last year on a friend's small boat and there was plenty of water (I kept my eye on the sounder just out of curiousity to see if much had changed since we took our big boat through there 10 years ago. Some pretty places to anchor as well.
Interesting. We went over to Fort Myers in November-December thinking of going down to Marco. But since we had to run outside from FM to Marco Island we decided not to risk getting stuck there before Christmas if a blow came through.

I didn't think you could run inside from FM to Marco? Or did you mean just from Naples to Marco Island inside?
Old 01-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
I didn't think you could run inside from FM to Marco? Or did you mean just from Naples to Marco Island inside?
Yes, just from Naples to Marco. Behind Keewaydin Island, by Rookery Bay and east looping around Little Marco. We'd also anchor in Hurricane Pass, but not go through it; it is a popular place to beach a small boat (which is what we did with friends) so much nicer off season. Great shelling and general beach combing. Again, check with the locals for up to date info.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
You could go from FM to FMB then Naples and then inside to Marco Island and thence through the Goodland Pass into Florida Bay. There are plenty of anchorages in between the islands and hammocks of the Glades, but we chose and enjoyed the Rod and Gun Club at Everglades City and then on to Little Shark River before running on down to Marathon. Once we ran directly from Everglades City to Marathon. All this was in a GB42 of similar size and draft to your Jeff. I chose high tided to run inside between Naples and Marco and especially the Goodland Pass on its shallow Florida Bay end.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 03:40 PM   #10

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Donna Mae
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430
+1 for little shark River. Very cool spot to anchor and spend the night.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote