cruisn' Houma to Apalachicola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
We left our home port of Houma, Louisiana about 60 miles west of New Orleans Tuesday morning March 27, we were in "delivery mode" the first 5 days as we were meeting one of our son's and his family for a week in Destin Fl. Today they returned home to Baton Rouge and we continue slowly Eastward to Apalachicola where we head back to be home mid May.
We usually travel down Florida's west coast but didn't have enough time available this year. I'll be updaing the blog daily starting tomorrow the first 5 days are already posted.
Any forum members along the way please contact me maybe we can meet up.

Hi Ya'll--I read your blog from start to finish and really enjoyed it. You cruised right through the heart of my local area. In fact I think I saw ya'll anchored out once at Robert's Bayou last month. Anyway, I noticed you spent a lot of time at marinas rather than on the hook. What kind of transient dock fees did you find at those marinas? How about fuel prices along the way? That kind of info sure would be helpful as I am considering a little trek over to Apalach myself pretty soon. Thanks!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the blog!
That Roberts Bayou is a beautiful spot we have been in there, anchored and dinghied over for lunch a couple of times but this was the first overnight stay it was very nice and quiet in there.
We do enjoy anchoring out but always seem to wind up spending lots of time in marinas which we enjoy also. This year it was one of my goals to spend more time at anchor and to do some fishing, as you probably noticed it was cooler than usual and quite windy much of the time so that got in the way.
The marinas along the panhandle are pretty reasonable, most charging about $1.50 a foot. The cheapest we found was the new and very nice Gulfport Municipal Yacht Harbor @ $1.00, and the most expensive was Baytowne @ $3.00+ Baytowne is a very nice place with lots to do but we won't plan on stopping there again. I have to say they must be doing something right because the marina occupancy rate is one of the highest we saw.
We only took on diesel once that was in Apalachicola at Scipio Creek Marina if I remember right the price was about $3.90.
As you know you are in a great cruising area if you haven't been to Apalachicola I'm sure you will enjoy it, we always have.
I am sending you private message to your profile page

Many thanks Steve. Have now joined Active Captain and it looks very useful. We have cruised through the Apalachicola area several times and enjoy the sense of stepping back in time to the "Old Florida." Winding along the ICW between Apalach and Panama City reminds me of those old Tarzan movies with the jungle shrouded rivers. And the city is a matrix of eclectic shops and folks. You chose a great turnaround point! Come see us if you're ever back this way over the summer. Plan to stay in Pirates Cove until fall then head south. We're on facebook.com/HollyDayCharters. Cheers,

Hi guys, hope you don't mind if I jump in, but that really sounds great. l am origanally from sulphur LA, but have been sailing the Caribbean for the last 8 yes. I recently purchased a 34' main ship trawler and plan to take it from here in the virgin islands back to Florida and then travel west on the inter costal, are there any good guide books or any suggestions you can make that will help me plan this journey

Hi guys, hope you don't mind if I jump in, but that really sounds great. l am origanally from sulphur LA, but have been sailing the Caribbean for the last 8 yes. I recently purchased a 34' main ship trawler and plan to take it from here in the virgin islands back to Florida and then travel west on the inter costal, are there any good guide books or any suggestions you can make that will help me plan this journey

Maybe Larry on Hobo will chime in. He just completed the trip, and is now in Jacksonville. They cruised all the way from Friday Harbor WA around through the Panama Canal and up through the Caribbean. It should be an interesting trip for you.

Nice trip I cruised the canal it was nice? Hoping to go west on the inter costal and work my way south to panama again

This is an often used guide for that trip, by Bruce Van Sant.
I hope you will let us know when you are ready for the trip I'd like to follow your progress.

The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: Bruce Van Sant: 9780944428795: Amazon.com: Books

Back
Top Bottom