Biloxi to Venice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimer2

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Baobab
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4788
Has anyone done the Biloxi to Venice leg through Baptiste Collette Bayou? I make it about 85 miles. Trying to miss New Orleans if feasible.

Thanks

I have done it many times in a 20 CC and once in a 58 Hatteras. The place to watch is the area between the two. Baptiste Collette is deep and wide

I am planning the same route this fall. Anyone know the price of fuel in Venice?

Rafe

Biloxi to Venice through Baptiste Collette is no problem. Where are you going next? Back east or west on the intracoastal? If west bound it will be a long haul up the river or over to Lafitte or Houma to get on the ICW.

Steve was planning on running offshore all the way back to Tx. Would need to refuel in Venice though to make it.

Should not be a problem. Several good fishing spots in Breton Sound and off the Chandeleur Island.

Steve was planning on running offshore all the way back to Tx. Would need to refuel in Venice though to make it.

I see, that is going to be a real long haul!
Check in Venice, if Tiger Pass is in good shape for your boat it will save a few miles out of Venice.
Have a good trip!

I see, that is going to be a real long haul!
Check in Venice, if Tiger Pass is in good shape for your boat it will save a few miles out of Venice.
Have a good trip!

Thanks Steve, I just started a new thread "Bayliner 4788" which explains it a little. I will be cheating and travelling a little above my normal 8 kts. If the weather doesn't cooperate and I come through Houma, I will holla and see if your schedule allows for a cold one.

Active Capt. reported fuel in Delcombre at less than $2.00 It did not have anything on Venice. Watch out for all of those rigs and have a safe trip.

As Steve said Baptiste Collette is well marked and has better than 8ft minimum draft. One thing to remember is that it is used heavily by commercial traffic that will run hard in the heavy fog that will occur in the spring and fall and thus not unusual to have a few missing navaids from collisions:facepalm:. Regardless, it is an easy shot for a first timer. Exiting out Tiger Pass is not a problem either; just stay between the markers as the water depth goes from hero to zero in a few feet. Another option for fuel for your friend in the cat is Port Eads Marina (about 2 miles inland from South pass...has a nice restaurant to boot. I don't know about their fuel prices but they have a number to call.

Thanks guys! I may still do the ICW but last time I did it I found some of the looooong stretches pretty boring and the hassle going through N.O. itself a bit of a bugger. As I have to sometimes remind myself, this is supposed to be fun so if there is a better or at least different way, figured we would give it a shot.

"the hassle going through N.O. itself a bit of a bugger"

Amen brother...my first trip locking through from Lake P. through Industrial Canal locks was in a center console Pacemaker in January at 38F. It was our first boat and I was questioning my father's sanity at the time (all the while with blue lips and chattering teeth). The lockmaster held us up for red tow after red tow for 6 hrs! Finally one barge captain refused to go through until after we were allowed to pass...thank God. The Harvey Canal locks on the west bank were pretty quick however. I swore I would never lock through Industrial again, even if it meant a trip around the Delta.

radoing, Exactly. Left lake P at 06:00 for a quick 60 mile jaunt and arrived in Houma at 23:00, wore out. But hey if we gotta do it we gotta do it lol

dimer2 & Steve
If you do come through Houma you are welcome to use the extra 100ft of dock space we have at David's Marina , the house boat will not be in for a month.

Transiting the locks in New Orleans is usually less hassle if you can do it on a weekend. The locks operate the same but there are no bridge curfews so marine traffic doesn't get as bunched up arriving at the locks at the end of curfew. Not true during Mardi Gras parade season when weekend parades and float deliveries make a real mess for both land and marine traffic.

Very true Steve. Also, I see where most use Harvey going on West where I would typically use Algier's lock. You get the downstream current and Algier's never seems as busy.

Furthermore: you can check out the traffic and wait times at Harvey lock or for that matter any US Corps Lock on their website or call Harvey Lock ahead of time at 504-366-5187. Web site also gives river stages which can be helpful.

dan

Good point Steve, that might be the thing to do. I have no problem spending a few extra days in Gulfport waiting for a weekend! Kartracer, what a great offer, many thanks and if needed I will for sure give you a holla. Dan, thanks, never crossed my mind to check the website for the two locks before deciding which way to turn...much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom