Rudder mounting/bearings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rufus

Guru
Vessel Make
OA 440
I’ve been posting on the current propeller shaft vibration string and another forum member mentioned vibrations resulting from misadjusted rudder packing. That got me to wondering exactly what is under the rudder stuffing box on an OA. Is there a cutless bearing in that cavity? The visible components on our boat (top to bottom) are a large greased ball bearing Mounties on a large horizontal “plank”, and the the stuffing box, which is bolted directly to the hull structure as I recall.....

I’ve been posting on the current propeller shaft vibration string and another forum member mentioned vibrations resulting from misadjusted rudder packing. That got me to wondering exactly what is under the rudder stuffing box on an OA. Is there a cutless bearing in that cavity? The visible components on our boat (top to bottom) are a large greased ball bearing Mounties on a large horizontal “plank”, and the the stuffing box, which is bolted directly to the hull structure as I recall.....

Mine is still all apart, so I can see if I can get some pictures both with my phone, and an inspection camera down inside perhaps?

Thanks...,I’ve read where the stuffing box acts as a bearing, and alternatively that there
is a cutless bearing at the bottom...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom