portlight replacements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geoshep

Vessel Name
Alastair B
Vessel Make
40' classic trawler
I have a 1981 classic double cabin Ocean Alexander. The forward cabin ports are showing moisture spongy wood around the bottom of portlights, wall thickness is 1 5/8" (rectangular Bomar 7 x 14 window complete ) Gray industries I guess.
I want to replace these with a size larger so I may cut out wood rot , does not matter if they open but would be nice. I am looking at a cut out size around 7 x14 so I will end up having aprox a window 8" x 15 or 16"with flange ring. prefer white ABS rectangular to match the rest. Possibly can go to larger Bomar. Any other manufacturers to consider. Thanks

Last edited:
Are you asking a question? We replaced 11 portholes on our boat a couple of years ago. We used Newfound Metals. They are 316 cast stainless steel and are very nice. But they are more expensive than plastic ones. But they will last forever and look sharp.

Thank you I have been speaking with them. They are lovely....and expensive.

I did an extensive refit in Port Townsend 7 years ago. We searched a number of places for some portlights, and then discovered New Found Metals just up the road! I installed 10 SS rectangular ones, and have been very happy with them. With your hull thickness you can get the standard ones, which have a 2" spigot.

One thing I would say is that if you get them, do not buy their flyscreens. The problem is that the rubber surround of the screen results in oxygen deprivation for the SS it covers and is in contact with. The result is 'tea stains' - a bit of rust that is readily removed but a PITA to keep on top of!

Lewmar is a less expensive option than others. They are extruded aluminum. Very far from cast aluminum and especially far from cast stainless steel. But, if they are well above the water line, and can need not provide any structural support at all, they'll be fine.

You could also look at the Pompanette (Bowmar) Grey series. They are heavy duty plastic. Again, clearly not as good as cast aluminum or cast stainless steel. But, unclear to me which is better high-grade plastic or extruded aluminum.

My boat had plastic ports that were either original to 1981 or very early add ons. I just replaced them in 2019 -- 38 years later. And, it wasn't because the plastic went bad. It was death by a thousand little things -- metal hardware was rusted or broken, seals were bad, they needed to be rebedded, and there weren't spare parts available. So, once I pulled them to rebed, unable to get spare parts, rather than make new ones, I just replaced them with Lewmars. It isn't clear to me the Lewmars will last 38 years. I just don't know.

But, I'd put the Grey Series at the top end of plastic.

ports

Thank you for the help. I am sticking with the Grey ports. They've lasted this long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom