New OA 50 Mark 1 owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greypearl

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Grey Pearl
Vessel Make
OA 50 Mark 1
Hello there. I am looking to connect with other OA Mk 1 owners. Particularly in regard to lengthening and passive stabilization.

Hello there. I am looking to connect with other OA Mk 1 owners. Particularly in regard to lengthening and passive stabilization.

You have picked up a great boat; we almost bought one before Blue Sky showed up. Sometimes wish we had gone with the OA instead!

Although I have no leads, I will say that the two OA 50 Mark I's I have seen lengthened to 55' look very balanced, more so than the original to my eye.
None have had the boat deck extended over the cockpit though, which I think would really enhance the usability of the boat, if it doesn't affect the stability too adversely.

If you bought the O.A. used to save a few bucks, you can't afford to have it stretched.

pete

Not an OA Mk 1, but I know that a single model of my boat had the cockpit extended by 3 feet by the original owner. The owner had a reputable boat manufacturer do the modification. I viewed the boat when that owner offered it for sale, and he told me how much the mod cost 10+ years prior, I think it was in the $100-200K range. IMO, it was a nice mod, but the increase in the value of the boat was nowhere near what the owner paid for it. It'll cost a ton of money that you'll never get back, but if it's worth it to you, go for it.

And welcome to TF!

Greg.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Thanks everyone

Hopefully someone who has done an extension will join in. But thanks all of you for your feedback. I have been on a sister ship stretched 3'. It made a huge difference. I wouldn't extend the cover as it gets in the way for fishing.
As I said earlier I have done 2 extensions myself already. Both enhanced the boat significantly. Whether the value increases proportionately or not is not a concern.

Hi Grey pearl.
I was just getting on the forum to ask along similar lines.
I am after any schematics that might exist out there for the purpose of getting a stability assessment for my boat.
Has anybody done this?
Contacted OA themselves, but they advised that all was lost in a fire back in the day, and suggested I try this forum.
I’ve noticed that the pacific NW seems to be home to all things OA mk1, so have tried a few Shipwright’s I.e. port Townsend and a few others.
With no luck.
There is a referral to an Ed Monk 5’ ext design, and I’ve also asked about this.
So, I Guess my best chance is the same as yours.
Someone who’s done this might join in?

Hi Grey pearl.
I was just getting on the forum to ask along similar lines.
I am after any schematics that might exist out there for the purpose of getting a stability assessment for my boat.
Has anybody done this?
Contacted OA themselves, but they advised that all was lost in a fire back in the day, and suggested I try this forum.
I’ve noticed that the pacific NW seems to be home to all things OA mk1, so have tried a few Shipwright’s I.e. port Townsend and a few others.
With no luck.
There is a referral to an Ed Monk 5’ ext design, and I’ve also asked about this.
So, I Guess my best chance is the same as yours.
Someone who’s done this might join in?

As to extensions in general, there are a few Uniflyte 42s extended to 48, some C&L 50s, variously extended to 53, 54, 55. The unusual factor on all that I know of is leaving the running gear alone. Stability doesn't seem to be a critical factor. The extensions get tanks, lazarette storage, what have you, a decently sized swim grid, and a deck.

Approx 25 to 20 yrs ago I had a client who had done some extensions in his boat shop, so I asked the questions that interested me at the time. I would send you to him, but I know he has relocated to South Africa, so contact is lost.

Greypearl is a beautiful name for a boat. I do have an extended MK1 named Dream Weaver. The previous owner provided the extension, as well as the bow and stern thrusters and AB TRAK stabilizers. His reasoning for the extension was leaky fuel tanks, and decided to cut the transom off and insert new ones from the back. While he was at it, decided to do the extension. No idea what it cost but well worth it for the additional livability.
I believe that I have the engineered plans that were used for the extension somewhere on the boat. Believe that they were done by Ed Monk Jr. The additional storage in the 5' lazerette is great for lots of stuff, but it also requires extra ballast. If not the stern is just a bit to buoyant Solved with 4 big water bags that are also used to trim the boat.

I'm in Bremerton and if the border open up, I'd be glad to show you what I have.

Someone else that you might want to touch bases with is a Broker in La Conner named Shawn Walsh (206-940-9088) He has his fingerprints on most of the OA Mk1s that are sold in the PNW. Probably knows your boat as well. He could be a resourse for getting Grey Pearl lengthened.

Reach out to me at Dwjohn1979@gmail.com and I'll try to be of help. I've had my baby since 2012, so know a few things about her.

jp

Hi Almad,
I contacted the OA Mk 1 group and have an old contact list from a previous rendezvous. I have spoke with one owner so far that extended his vessel 5'. He moved the running gear as well. He is very happy with the modifications. I am a retired fisherman and have extended 2 vessels already. Both worked very well. I have lived and breathed fiberglass my whole life as my family built the first large fiberglass fishing vessels in the mid 60's. I just sold the
"Triple M II" in July. Same bunk for 55 years : )
Its probably going to be a long hunkered down winter to talk about modifications. I look fwd to chatting. My contact is 250 618-0128 call/text, kim@seafood4life.com

Hi Dream Weaver. Lets talk. 250 618-0128 call/text, kim@seafood4life.com. When we have something worth posting here we can do it it then.

MK 1 Grey Pearl

Hi. We own a MK1 Kathy Lee 55’ that was extended. There are quite a few of us that have extended.

I realize your post is fairly old, but I help manage the Rendezvous we have every year normally located in Washington State. I have been looking for the current owner of the Grey Pearl. We had an Anderson who originally owned it and we have lost touch.

We also have a FB group that is for OA MK1 owners. If you still own your boat or know who does I would appreciate connecting to you.

Sandy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom