General Info on 440/460

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike H

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Losada
Vessel Make
Californian 48 CPMY
New to the trawler world after sailing for years. My wife and I are looking (via the web) at the 440 and 460 Sundeck. There seems to be very few 460's for sale, and I can't get a feel for the difference between the two. Does anyone know what was lengthened / shortened in the interior between the two?

OA basically enclosed the swim platform to give the hull a more modern, forward sweep from a side view perspective. So, the cockpit picked up some additional length. Mostly a cosmetic update. No change to the interior space. I'm not sure if they moved the props and rudders, but don't think so. I have a bottom photo somewhere on an old laptop, but won't have access to it for a couple of months....

The one that I was aboard ten years ago and saw on the hard had Cummins engines, and the very light colored wood interior (not nearly as attractive as the golden Burmese teak in my opinion). Not many built as they were moving on to newer designs, and likely that the hull mold had about given up by that point. The Sturgeon Bay dealer (back in the 80-90's told me the molds were already getting tired at the end of the 440 run and required a lot of touchup on the hull surfaces.

Last edited:
Thanks. Sounds like we should concentrate on the earlier 440's. Now if I can just sell the IP-32.

Back
Top Bottom