Dropping the mast on an OA 450

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
It’s About Time
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
I just bought an OA 450 Classico. Our long-term cruising plans involve the Erie Canal system, which will require us to lower the hinged radar mast to get under the low bridges up there. Theoretically simple, as it’s hinged, but as I think more carefully about it, maybe not so simple after all. It looks like a pretty stout structure, so I’m guessing too heavy for me to do by myself. I considered a block and tackle system to carry the weight but there’s really nothing structural at the right height to attach the forward end of the tackle to. Has anyone out there done this and if so, how’d you do it?
David

How much does it actually weigh and how much of that would you have to carry yourself? For how long?

My 34' Marine Trader's mast is solid teak and I'm able to drop it myself each year including the summer on the Erie Canal. Have some friends over for a mast dropping party and see if you can handle it yourself with backup in reserve.

Is it a mast or an arch, the Yachtworld pics I saw show an arch structure?

Assuming it is a mast, and it was too heavy or unwieldy to be done by hand with a couple stout helpers, I would try some sort of gin pole arrangement with the attachment point for tackle at the bow or stern depending on which way the hinge operates. This is a common way to lower a mast on sailboats and despite their different geometry this technique could still work up on a yacht bridge. The gin pole at proper height would provide the clearance for lines over the front of the flybridge windshield (or the rear cabin roof depending on which way it is designed to be dropped.)

Last edited:
It’s a fiberglass mast, hinged at the deck. Most if not all of the Classico series of boats from OA have this mast.

Attachments

• CFF423A6-832A-4CE7-9429-57796164BA6F.jpg
    CFF423A6-832A-4CE7-9429-57796164BA6F.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 14
"Hinged at the deck."

Ah, that would make the gin pole idea less viable, assuming the mast is hinged to lay down aft. You want your gin pole attached as close to the fulcrum as possible.

How far does your tender crane boom extend? :socool:

Last edited:
I had a system of rope and a double pulley system. It ran through the hatch doors leading into to storage area in front of the helm station on the flybridge. It worked OK but it was a pain. The mast was wood, it had a radar dome on it and some lessor electronic stuff but extend that 20 or so pounds up to about 20 feet and the leverage is incredible.

I sawed my mast off and put a hinge halfway up. Now it is manageable by hand.

pete

My boat neighbour has an hydraulic lifting system. His mast, similar to your mast is hinged, but the mast sits at the back of the flybridge deck and he is able to have the hydraulic cylinder sit on the aft deck. Therefore he has 3 to 4 feet of play in the hydraulic cylinder and the angle of lift works out. Its a Tollycraft 45. I will take a picture of it next week. It might give you an idea.

It’s a fiberglass mast, hinged at the deck. Most if not all of the Classico series of boats from OA have this mast.

Most, if not all of those that have responded have a tri-cabin layout, with a mast that stands at the very back of the flybridge deck, or on the forward part of the deck below, so have a taller and likely heavier mast than is shown in your photo.

I would be surprised if yours is heavy. It ought to be a hollow section, and if you look in the cabin below its mounting location you will know if the weight of the mast is enough to need any extra support than an unoccupied deck gets.
Try unlocking its base fastening and lowering it, just to see what difficulties present themselves. All with strong young helpers standing by, of course.

Back
Top Bottom