can't put it back together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
I could use some help trying to put a helm chair back together. I took it apart to have the base repainted, and now, can't remember how it goes, or I have lost a part. If anyone could send me a photo of how the seat connects to the base/pedestal, I would be eternally grateful.

a photo of the same seat is attached.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I feel stupid.

Attachments

• 771FA3DE-E086-40E6-AA94-BE5EFA4D3781.jpeg
    771FA3DE-E086-40E6-AA94-BE5EFA4D3781.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 310
Might help to specify make and model.

Ted

And a photo of what you have now that doesn’t work. Photos of the base and seat bottom.

No make or model stamped on rhe chair. I figure anyone with one that looks like the photo will be able to help.

We need to see what the bottom of the seat looks like now. Maybe we can see something missing but without a photo to see, any ideas are just throwing stuff on the wall...

Dave,

Ill include some photos of the pieces, but really didn't expect anyone not having the identical seat t oil know. The Delron slider, screws into t-nuts on the bottom of the chair.

The t-nuts are spaced identically to the four center holes.

Attachments

• AEC1C4FC-A4E2-480F-9EBB-7B82F16AB090.jpg
    AEC1C4FC-A4E2-480F-9EBB-7B82F16AB090.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 25
  • A07146B8-40A1-4EB1-95B0-9A35AE310E2E.jpg
    A07146B8-40A1-4EB1-95B0-9A35AE310E2E.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 7AEEB816-6E94-4F9C-8EB9-A541A6B89BEB.jpg
    7AEEB816-6E94-4F9C-8EB9-A541A6B89BEB.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 20
WAG.
The slider part, does it come out and then get bolted to the chair base and then slide it in?

Yes it does

WAG.
The slider part, does it come out and then get bolted to the chair base and then slide it in?

But, how is the question. It appears that two sheets of metal sandwich the Delron. The 4 center screws on the delron, and on one of the metal sheets will accept 1/4 bolts, same as the t-nuts on the chair base. The four center holes on the other plate are too small for the bolts.

What hardware do you have from taking it apart? I would guess that you will have to screw the delrin and one metal piece to the bottom of the chair. Then the other piece of metal screws to the delrin and it slides into the pedestal from the rear???

In my older age I have learned the hard way to take photos of everything as I take it apart. Know it doesn’t help now but may in the future.

New Picture (2).jpg
In this picture the plate on top has one phillips threaded bolt. what does it thread into? The bottom plate?
Would the top/bottom plates be reversed, the one on bottom screwed to seat and then the now top one from bottom attaches with screws from bottom into four outside threaded corners?

Perhaps a sketch would help

I posted this hoping that someone with the same chair would post a photo of the bottom. Since you guys are into problem solving, here is a sketch of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• CAF2CB11-4E8F-41DB-A0F1-32BC1BEBF319.jpg
    CAF2CB11-4E8F-41DB-A0F1-32BC1BEBF319.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 17
I guess i must be about the only ocean Alexander owner haunting this site...

I guess i must be about the only ocean Alexander owner haunting this site...

So? Others have asked for more pictures, I am waiting on an answer on post 13. People here are trying to help. But we can wait for another OA.

I don’t want to sound snarky. And I would be thankful for anyone who has had this particular chair. You have pictures of all the parts. I need to understand this particular chair not any chair that you might happen to have. That is why I prefaced my request for anybody who had the same chair, and included a picture of the chair. I appreciate that everyone likes a puzzle. I wasn’t asking for that kind of help, rather specific help with this specific chair. I can make something happen. I want to know what it looked like before I do a McGuiver. It doesn’t help that the paint shop lost the hardware connecting the two metal plates and the plastic slider.

I posted the request on the Ocean Alexander page hoping for a hit. I appreciate everyone’s desire to help. There are no more pictures that will help except the one I should have taken before I started.

I had these chairs originally on my boat. I took them apart and came to the conclusion that all the nylon parts were shot and decided to replace everything, chairs, spiders, stand. Now I know this doesn't help you, my point is I'm trying to do this from memory and it has been over 5 years since I did this.

As I recall you screw one metal base to the seat. Then you take the nylon piece invert it, install the four screws that are used to attach it to the metal base on the seat but do not attach to the base. Instead you now install the lower base. The lower base has holes just big enough for you to get your screw driver into to attach the lower segment to the metal base attached to the seat.

Hope this makes sense and hope my memory is correct.

If only

Greetings,
Mr. GJ. Get the paint shop to put it back together. THEY lost the parts.

I'f I can't figure it out, those knuckle heads will never be able to do it. Needless to say I x-ed them of my Christmas list.

Thanks but?..,

I had these chairs originally on my boat. I took them apart and came to the conclusion that all the nylon parts were shot and decided to replace everything, chairs, spiders, stand. Now I know this doesn't help you, my point is I'm trying to do this from memory and it has been over 5 years since I did this.

As I recall you screw one metal base to the seat. Then you take the nylon piece invert it, install the four screws that are used to attach it to the metal base on the seat but do not attach to the base. Instead you now install the lower base. The lower base has holes just big enough for you to get your screw driver into to attach the lower segment to the metal base attached to the seat.

Hope this makes sense and hope my memory is correct.

I was thinking the same thing but... The heads of the bolts used to connect one plate to the bottom of the seat will be rubbing on the plastic slider. I am thinking there must be a spacer somewhere in the picture. My mcguiver solution is to buy spacers and put them between the metal plate screwed to the chair bottom, and the plastic.

I appreciate your assistance. I replaced the base of the chair four years ago, but can’t remember. This o-l-d syndrome is for the birds.

Mystery solved, thanks to one of our members who sent me a picture of his install. The paint shop handed back the pedestal with the delrin plate loose and the slider bolted to the top of the pedestal. The delron plate should have been fastened to the pedestal. This is why i was having problems with bolt heads, being in the way.

Mystery solved, thanks to one of our members who sent me a picture of his install. The paint shop handed back the pedestal with the delrin plate loose and the slider bolted to the top of the pedestal. The delron plate should have been fastened to the pedestal. This is why i was having problems with bolt heads, being in the way.

Glad the mystery is solved!

Back
Top Bottom