For Willy...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klee wyck

Guru
Vessel Name
Domino and Libra
Vessel Make
Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
There will be plenty to critique on this "new to us" vessel but thought I would make it convenient to start, why not anchors?!
Like the vessel itself, these anchors come from well off the beaten path. Who can come up with the brand or model?

Attachments

• 2764641_e3ed05fc_32.jpg
    2764641_e3ed05fc_32.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 36
Bill,
I haven’t seen that one.
Looks a bit like my XYZ.
Never seen the “ear pads” that far fwd. looks like they shouldn’t work but maybe the anchor is aluminum.
Then there’s that mysterious hole at the trailing rdge.
Looks like I’ll hafta guess Manson or Rocna.

But TBS I haven’t seen one.
You hint it may come from a place like India or Finland ...

Beat’s me but I’m eager to see more of it.
XYZ for those unfamiliar w XYZ.

Haven’t made an anchor mod for a long time. But I’m about to make a mod on the toe of two. The anchor side of my brain is still alive.

Edit;
Another guess; XYZ
Only XYZ would but a beaver tail like that on an anchor.

Attachments

• STH71524 copy 2.jpg
    STH71524 copy 2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Forget the anchors...is that a catamaran?

Here is another shot at them when new, about 800 anchorings ago they say.

Attachments

• anchors.jpg
    anchors.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 35
Now I'm think'in SPADE.

Gotta get someth'in right here. The thing that looks like a handle is to keep the anchor from pitching on the pulpit.
The eye at the base of the shank carries the anchor weight while on the pulpit.
The small eye is to attach a shackle and a small chain (and ?) to change the angle of attack (like Fortress and Max).
The big slot is for a shackle to a 2nd anchor. OKOK wild guess.

Last edited:
Now I'm think'in SPADE.

I think that after the guy that designed the Spade sold his company and signed a non compete clause, he move to Latin America and built these. Apparently not a great place to distribute from....
The company does not appear to have lasted long.

Thanks Bill,
Interesting. Would like to know more but it looks like it will forever be a mystery.

Don’t like the way the shank bottom is attached to the fluke so close to the fluke tip. I would think that spot would be easily compacted w mud.
What made me finally decide it was Spade was when you posted the pics of the anchors in the van. The large shape of the concave part of the fluke was a giveaway ... pure Spade. Coupled w the profile image of the shank. Looks like a very heavy shank. May have been trying to get by w mild steel.
I am curious about the other details but ....?

Last edited:
Thanks Bill,
Interesting. Would like to know more but it looks like it will forever be a mystery.

Don’t like the way the shank bottom is attached to the fluke so close to the fluke tip. I would think that spot would be easily compacted w mud.
What made me finally decide it was Spade was when you posted the pics of the anchors in the van. The large shape of the concave part of the fluke was a giveaway ... pure Spade. Coupled w the profile image of the shank. Looks like a very heavy shank. May have been trying to get by w mild steel.
I am curious about the other details but ....?

The anchors are two sizes of the Raya by Ancora Latina. The argument they used for the geometry was to assure that it would never land on its back after descent and that it would have at least 40% of its overall weight residing on its tip when going to set.
The gear is as follows:
Anchor one is the 75 kg versions attached to 90 meters of 1/2 G43 followed by 150 meters of 1 1/4" rode. For hurricanes.
Anchor two is the 44 kg versions attached to 120 meters of 3/8 G43 and 75 meters of 1" rode.
Also, two Fortress (37 and 125) and a Guardian 37, all with chain/rope combinations on the ready.
She anchored almost exclusively over 53000 nm of cruising and lived to tell about it.

Here is a zoomed out view of them with the bridle gear shown.

Attachments

• 2764641_8bcab814_36.jpg
    2764641_8bcab814_36.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 29
And 200 meters of Quickline 'flatline' on a reel on aft end of the portside ama to finish off the anchoring gear, along with a winch right there handy.

Attachments

• 2764641_546e3650_22.jpg
    2764641_546e3650_22.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 19
Is that Hobie Alders catamaran?

Back
Top Bottom