When is time to replace rope rode?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider2003

I have a new to me cruisers yachts 3780 with rope and chain rode to the windless. The rope looks in good shape but the connection to the chain is fraying. I was going to refasten the rope to the chain but with the rope being 16 years old not sure it's time to replace. Are the ropes only good for so many years? Should I repair or replace?

I have a new to me cruisers yachts 3780 with rope and chain rode to the windless. The rope looks in good shape but the connection to the chain is fraying. I was going to refasten the rope to the chain but with the rope being 16 years old not sure it's time to replace. Are the ropes only good for so many years? Should I repair or replace?
I have had success with just reversing the rope and replacing.
If you haven't done splicing animatedknots.com has some decent instructions.
If first time take another piece of rope and give it a try then do it for real. The 2nd time usually a lot better than 1st.
I recently added more chain to my 8 braid rode... first try not so good 2nd much better.

Regarding using or replacing the rope, measure the length and diameter, and get a price. You might find it cheap enough that it's a simple choice. New rope is much easier to splice also.

Ted

I have had success with just reversing the rope and replacing.
If you haven't done splicing animatedknots.com has some decent instructions.
If first time take another piece of rope and give it a try then do it for real. The 2nd time usually a lot better than 1st.
I recently added more chain to my 8 braid rode... first try not so good 2nd much better.

Good idea! Thanks for the help.

If the rope spent most of its time in the anchor locker it may be more dirty than worn. Take it all out and examine it for obvious wear or dirt. If it looks reasonable, changing it end for end sounds good.

Ken

If the rope spent most of its time in the anchor locker it may be more dirty than worn. Take it all out and examine it for obvious wear or dirt. If it looks reasonable, changing it end for end sounds good.

Ken

Good advice, UV does more to degrade line than anything except chaff and possibly contamination. A good wash in fresh water and mild soap will restore appearance, follow with a good examination, you can always cut it up for docklines or save as a towline.

"you can always cut it up for docklines or save as a towline."

Don't throw ir away , even when it gets really sad.

Rag baggers can always make baggywrinkle .!

I usually switch ends every other year, trying to balance out the wear and tear on the line. I have 600' of 5/8" nylon, and usually use only a couple of hundred feet plus the chain. If I was getting "knuckles" in the line from the windlass, at the age of your line, I would seriously consider replacing it. Otherwise, I would just switch ends on the line. JMO

Back
Top Bottom