What kind of chain is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phrank

Vessel Name
SCOUT
Vessel Make
1997 MT 46
Hello Trawler Forum,
ERTF chain size post got me thinking about what kind of chain I have on our new to us Marine Trader 46 that we are prepping for the Great Loop. The stampings are VM4 on the edge and S7Q on the face and after deciding it wasnt 3/8 or 7/16 the calipers measured it at 10mm. Googled metric anchor chain and didn't find anything with similar markings. The chain and gypsy are in serviceable condition, but I’m questioning the quality of the chain.
Thoughts and thanks.

Attachments

• 20200713_161804.jpg
    20200713_161804.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200713_161846.jpg
    20200713_161846.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 25
Looks like anchor chain to me, but I'm not an expert. Im pretty sure it is not a gold chain or a chain letter though.

Welcome Aboard,

pete

Welcome aboard. Sorry can’t help with that chain size.

Looks like WM4 stamped in the first pic.

This off Google......

"Where Do You Buy Your Anchor Chain? | Sailboat Owners Forums
Oct 31, 2006 · The chain I got was WM's own brand - stamped WM4 instead of G4. The manufacturer was ACCO- a good quality American manufacturer. WM claimed that it was the exact same ....."

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I called a couple local West Marines and they didn't know and remembered Joe from the Light House Point store in Baltimore who knew every bit and piece.
He said its Acco G4 chain that had been branded for WM.
Thanks again for your help.

Looks like WM4 stamped in the first pic.

This off Google......

"Where Do You Buy Your Anchor Chain? | Sailboat Owners Forums
Oct 31, 2006 · The chain I got was WM's own brand - stamped WM4 instead of G4. The manufacturer was ACCO- a good quality American manufacturer. WM claimed that it was the exact same ....."

That's a good eye!

Back
Top Bottom