We got new ground tackle this winter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IF the "old" anchor is to be used as a stern anchor ,
5 ft of chain and the anchor will be enough load to transfer into a dink , or carry when trying to winch off running aground.

Looks good to me, except I'd add a swivel between the end of the chain and the shackle at the anchor.

I'm far from a splicing expert and mostly leave it to an expert especially for the anchor rode, but my windlass manual shows a splicing technique where the ends of the line are cut on an angle and results in a tapered splice at the end of it. Helps it ease into the gypsy some.

Good looking anchor I’ve never seen before, thanks - as others said a bit of stainless wire for your shackle pin, stagger the splicing and you’re ready to rock n roll

Just by way of information. It may be widely known but perhaps not. I was "talking" to a member of this form and mentioned that when looking at 3-strand twisted nylon, there are basically a couple of choices - soft lay or hard lay. He was unaware and suggested I post.
Soft lay, if used with a windlass, might work for a short while but the lay will ease and start to jam, causing another set of problems. It is however great for dock lines.
Hard lay is meant to be used with a windlass. It is normally identified with a single coloured yarn within one of the strands. Some literature will say it is more difficult to splice. Not so, but you do need tougher fingers to open the lay.
I splice for a ship's chandler.

Just by way of information. It may be widely known but perhaps not. I was "talking" to a member of this form and mentioned that when looking at 3-strand twisted nylon, there are basically a couple of choices - soft lay or hard lay. He was unaware and suggested I post.
Soft lay, if used with a windlass, might work for a short while but the lay will ease and start to jam, causing another set of problems. It is however great for dock lines.
Hard lay is meant to be used with a windlass. It is normally identified with a single coloured yarn within one of the strands. Some literature will say it is more difficult to splice. Not so, but you do need tougher fingers to open the lay.
I splice for a ship's chandler.

Hard lay is also stiffer correct? Do you know if 8 plait also comes in similar varieties?

Yes hard lay is a little stiffer but no overly so in my opinion and we handle both.
Really cannot answer the question on 8 plait - it is not a product we see much of in our area. I did splice it for a visiting boat as I swapped their anchor line end for end.
I do know that some gypsies will accept it but others will not.

My experience in the last couple years confirms what you are saying and maybe adds something to the conversation.....

My boat came with 8 plait nylon spliced to chain and worked fine but I decided to replace it last year when I bought a new anchor. The original 8 plait line had a gold thread running through it, not sure if that is significant. I bought new chain and 8 plait line from Miami cordage. The Miami line was a bit softer to the touch, but looked to be good quality. On one of the first few times I used it, the windlass slipped and chewed into the new line significantly. Miami cordage was very cooperative with replacing the line with their "firm lay" 3-strand which I am guessing is similar to what you are calling "hard lay". (This 3-strand also has a gold thread running through it). It is chemically treated to be very abrasion-resistant and feels much tougher and they claim it is best for use with a windlass. (BTW, my windlass spec is for 3-strand or 8-plait). I've used it a few times and am not happy with its stiffness and it does not retrieve and deploy as flawlessly as the 8-plait did. It sometimes needs some manual intervention due to it being stiffer. I will continue to use it this coming season, but also looking for some tougher 8-plait similar to what I had started with. New England Ropes looks like theirs may be what I need and they also say it is designed for to be used with a windlass. However, New England doesn't sell chain/rope rodes so I need to find a local shop to splice the 8-plait. I haven't done a lot of searching, but so far a couple places I checked don't splice 8-plait. My sage continues.....stay tuned.

I love this thread! I keep learning some really good tidbits. I never knew there was such a thing as soft lay 3 stand!

I checked, and I have samson "pro-set" three strand with red and green markers.

Good to go!

Commenting further, 3-strand hard lay is definitely less flexible than 8 plait.

Commenting further, 3-strand hard lay is definitely less flexible than 8 plait.

No doubt. That's why I am hoping to find a strong 8-plait and someone that will splice it to my chain. New England looks like the best bet for the 8-plait so far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom