Warping drum to pull up anchor chain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

I have about 20' of chain plus rode and an electric Ideal CWM with Gyp and bronze Warping drum. Trying to re engineer the mounting and layout. Some salty gentlemen with decades of experience suggested using the Warping drum exclusively. I didn't realize a warping drum can be used this way. They said the natural slippage on the chain on the warping drum will create an extra safety element and chain on the gypsy can be fraught. Thoughts?

It will scratch the gypsy but big deal.

Add enough friction and a gypsy will pull chain.

There are many ways of doing it...that is one...and not the most popular one.

That's because you have to be a character to use a drum to pull chain if it really isn't designed for it. :D

It will scratch the gypsy but big deal.

Add enough friction and a gypsy will pull chain.

There are many ways of doing it...that is one...and not the most popular one.

I think you mean drum not the gypsy.

Drum will pull line or chain...as long as you keep tension on it and watch for overiding turns.. Lots of us old school types were brought up anchoring with this setup. Not right or wrong.

I've got a similar system to yours. See pics.

It's a Endurance Marine capstan made in southern BC Canada. It's a planetary gear drive. Quite powerful for it's size.

I thought many times about using the capstan drum for chain. As you can see I've got about 4' of chain. IMO the job the chain does is to hold the end of the anchor shank down to insure the set will be successful. The chain isn't 1/4" like most boats this size (30'). It's 3/8ths but only 4' long. This way the chain weight is concentrated at the anchor where it will do the most good.

I've not tried to pull chain w this aluminum drum capstan but the chain would most likely tear up the capstan surface.
What kind and size anchor are you using and has it been satisfactory where you go?

Attachments

• DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    DSCF2141 copy.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF2144 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF2144 copy 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 25
It. Is not uncommon to have a powered combination drum that is setup to pull both. My Maxwell is with this and years ago I had a Goode Windlass that could do same.

Like others have said, many of us "grew up" with a warping drum only. BTW, how heavy is your anchor and chain only?

I've got a similar system to yours. See pics.

It's a Endurance Marine capstan made in southern BC Canada. It's a planetary gear drive. Quite powerful for it's size.

Eric,
How is the retrieval speed on that winch? I have a couple of them still in boxes left over from a past project, and was going to sell them but now had the idea of building a couple of pot haulers with them.

Why not just splice a loop into that 8-plait?

Attachments

• B0wline.jpg
    B0wline.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom