Warning about Ultra Flip Swivel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eyschulman

Guru
Just a warning to anybody using an Ultra flip swivel. First I would like to say the unit really works well and is well made as a ball and socket eliminating many of the bad aspects of other swivels. The warning if you do not have a bridge over the anchor shank and you pull the anchor up the last foot to fast the flip can work so well it can send the anchor and chain airborne and jump the roller gear, as happened to me last summer. Now there is a substantial SS bridge just behind the roller and airborne is not possible. It was a real shock to see my anchor jump two feet in the air and come down hard on my port side marring the paint. Do enough boating and all kinds of poop happens or is it just another learning experience?

Ed

I've experienced this a few times over the years - having the anchor chain jump the vertical capstan - even without the Ultra Flip swivel. What I do is attach via a snap shackle an affixed short line to the chain when the anchor is ready to break over the roller so if it does jump it can't go more than a foot or so back down.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom