Up only Maxwell Nilsson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petdoc4u

Vessel Name
EXILE
Vessel Make
HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
I have a model 3000 or 3500 late 80s vintage windlass. It functions in up only mode due to the motor being wound in such a way that it is not capable of operating in a down (opposite) mode.
2 questions;
1) has anyone replaced their one way motor with a two way motor and if so please provide details.
2) the Maxwell control I have is an "up" only control which I would like to replace as its on its last leg. Has anyone replaced their "up" only control and what/how did you do it. (mute if I can somehow get my windlass to turn both ways.
Thank you.

They also talk about installing a reversing solenoid for old installations. I don't see why a 12 volt motor is not reversible? I did that for an old Ideal windlass with a second set of solenoids. Put the switches far enough apart that you can't step on both.

My capstan is reversable. Just swap the wires. I've done it several times to change the rotation direction and I just did it again today.

It was my understanding that all 12-volt motors can be run in reverse. You'll want to swap the polarity to make it go backwards. It's not hard.

Question for the experts: do all 12-volt motors work both ways? I thought so, but maybe not...?!? (just wondering)

Last month I wired a Fan-tastic fan I bought. It came with a one-direction fan and I wanted pull AND push. A switch on/off/on with six attachment screws and voila: my fan does both. Is it universal or was I fortunate?

Thank you for your replies. Thank you for the lead, Rochepoint.
I also thought all 12v motors would run in both directions depending on polarity. I tried it and it didnt work. Further research revealed that it depends on how a motor is "wound" which determines if it can run in both directions. WHY? anyone would build a windlass motor in this way escapes me, especially when a 2 way model was also available. Cost? perhaps.

All DC motors should / will reverse if you reverse the polarity.

The only thing that I can think of is .... if there is something mechanical ie, gearbox design etc. that would prevent it from running in opposite direction.

I also thought all 12v motors would run in both directions depending on polarity. I tried it and it didnt work. Further research revealed that it depends on how a motor is "wound" which determines if it can run in both directions. WHY? anyone would build a windlass motor in this way escapes me, especially when a 2 way model was also available. Cost? perhaps.

Petdoc4u,
One very good reason. One can change the direction of the wrap on the drum. I just did that yesterday (by switching polarities) but I really don't know if it works better one way or the other .. yet. It may depend on how the line was woven.
I always lower my anchors wearing rubber gloves as a brake but I seem to remember reading about "powering down" on winch adds so it may have to do w that too. I know fishermen "power down" w hydraulic reel winches but that's w a hydraulic motor. And there may be other reasons too.

The risk with power down is that if the chain bunches up at the pipe, one could do a bit of damage to the deck or windlass unless it's clutched. My old Lefrans Tigress had the clutch on down. As to WHY ?, I have never seen a DC motor that could not run in both directions. A winding is a winding ! in a DC motor ..... ( AC is different btw )

Back
Top Bottom