Tying to shore in a tiny bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm surprised that the pool structure could take that weight...

I have a couple of (about) 5' lengths of chain and each has a large gnarly shackle on one end you either drop the shackle in a crack or lay it around a beach rock. At the open end of the chain is a 1" dia piece of old mooring line about 6' long with a nylon eye spliced in its end and there I drop my stern line through it. If I had to, I could pull the line out of the rope and leave the bit of chain behind but usually I am able to retrieve it.

I also installed this: old sailboat sheet winch to help handle the lines. Please ignore the Apple-phone-disease.
I know people who have boom chains onboard for that reason. boom-chain-22.jpeg

I'm surprised that the pool structure could take that weight...

Guy told me a story...he was working in a marina's office...person comes in screaming mad...claims a bridge ripped off the mast of sailboat...insists they dredge a trench under bridge so it doesn't happen again.

I have a couple of (about) 5' lengths of chain and each has a large gnarly shackle on one end you either drop the shackle in a crack or lay it around a beach rock. At the open end of the chain is a 1" dia piece of old mooring line about 6' long with a nylon eye spliced in its end and there I drop my stern line through it. If I had to, I could pull the line out of the rope and leave the bit of chain behind but usually I am able to retrieve it.

I also installed this: old sailboat sheet winch to help handle the lines. Please ignore the Apple-phone-disease.

Slick! Your boat probably has a history of doing close to shore stuff in Haida Gwaii.

Last edited:
Murray, I have toyed with doing this a couple times but ended up anchoring because it was easier and quicker. A bow and stern rig would be easiest but you would be beam-to wind and waves, which your 4-point rig addresses. There's a little notch on the south end of Jedidiah Island that this would be perfect for, with NW winds. The Gulf Island and Sunshine coast guys know it, I'm sure.

I'm surprised that the pool structure could take that weight....

Ken, how gullible do you believe us to be? Surely you don't think we will buy the idea that you can keep 10 tons of water in the pool while making room for that 10 ton CC 41?

There are two coves in local waters that I want to tie in exactly as you describe. I haven't tried yet because I would need a couple of extra hands to take the line ashore while stationkeeping at the helm...this wouldn't be a task that SabreWife would likely enjoy.

Regarding the tides, my plan would be to simply haul up as tight as possible on those lines ashore at mid-tide. Imagine the triangle that would be formed...the vertex tied to the rock ashore, the side opposite the vertex representing the vertical movement of the boat up and down with the tide. Unless the cove were very, very narrow, the long sides of the triangle...representing the length of the shore tie at full flood and full ebb...wouldn't be that much shorter than the mid-tide length. I'd want to use nylon for its stretch in this case.

My plan to assist in stationkeeping while preparing these lines would be to simply dump the anchor straight down with the same done for the kedge at the stern. Just temporary, to hold the boat from drifting; it would obviously require minimum wind and current at that time.

Ken, how gullible do you believe us to be? Surely you don't think we will buy the idea that you can keep 10 tons of water in the pool while making room for that 10 ton CC 41?

Well said, Archimedes! :lol:

Murray, I have toyed with doing this a couple times but ended up anchoring because it was easier and quicker. A bow and stern rig would be easiest but you would be beam-to wind and waves, which your 4-point rig addresses. There's a little notch on the south end of Jedidiah Island that this would be perfect for, with NW winds. The Gulf Island and Sunshine coast guys know it, I'm sure.

It's a .5 mile wide narrow entrance lagoon with 5 doglegs in its 5 mile length so large waves won't be a problem, but there will be some gusts into the nook from steep mountains confusing the winds.

We'll be ashore hiking all day quite often, so if this devious little plan works we won't have to worry about what the boat is doing at anchor. In a worst case scenario (winter) it can blow 60 knots from the south one day, then 40 knots from the north the next day.

Wouldn't have complete confidence in anchoring on a sloping bottom of soft glaciomarine muck where there's not much swing radius on three sides, next to the creeks estuary drying flats, which is where the anchoring option is.

Last edited:
Good luck with whatever technique you employ, Murrray. Just checked out the location on the map, and it looks spectacular. Photos will be a must! Bonus points if you have a drone... LOL

5 years worth, Murray!
Oh Archimedes! Of course.
Frank Baker was a character.

Good luck with whatever technique you employ, Murrray. Just checked out the location on the map, and it looks spectacular. Photos will be a must! Bonus points if you have a drone... LOL

Photos a must indeed! Probably a whole one man gallery show in itself.

Foch Lagoon and the Kitlope River are two places we've saved for retirement, where you can pick when to go and for how long to stay.

Last edited:
Murray,
I think your post #4 has merit. I have done similar, 3-point, on south side of your Lasqueti Island. Only concern is keeping the rock hardware on shore from coming loose by cyclic wave action. The anchors for the cables may have to be pounded in.

And if you are away on a day hike, you have to keep in mind that you may have to sprint back to the boat if weather/wind changes against your favor.

I love wedging my boat into little places like that in BC, really missed that this year!

I guess it would work fine. What happens if you are spending the night and another boater needs refuge?

pete

Well said...unless the boat is on supports.

I miss getting up in northern BC so much! I haven’t taken the time to turn east at Hartley Bay; have just continued up the “ditch!” I will add Kitimat and environs to my list.....

I miss getting up in northern BC so much! I haven’t taken the time to turn east at Hartley Bay; have just continued up the “ditch!” I will add Kitimat and environs to my list.....

Gardner Canal and Europa hot springs (my favourite one of three hot springs in the area) is a must! Be sure to poke your bow into Brim River Bay. I hear it takes a 20hp outboard to beat the current and make it into Kitlope Lake...the largest untouched temperate rainforest watershed in the world.

Turning west gets you to Campania Island, the Estevan Group, and the "outside inside passage".

Then there's Haida Gwaii...

Last edited:
To whet your Gardner Canal appetite:

MurrayM, thanks for the info! Yes, Haida Gwaii is on my list, but northern BC waters are so amazing! I love the combination of mountains and water....is there 50 foot moorage available in Kitimat?

MurrayM, thanks for the info! Yes, Haida Gwaii is on my list, but northern BC waters are so amazing! I love the combination of mountains and water....is there 50 foot moorage available in Kitimat?

Yes, but you might want to check in first as there are two huge catamarans running crews back & forth from a project in the old townsite of Kemano, and during prime fall bear/whale viewing season there are 5 or more large (up to 80') motor and sailing vessels running clients between Bella Bella and Kitimat that can gobble up whatever space there is for larger boats.

https://www.mkbaymarina.ca

There's a new section of floats/slips going in right now, not all with power yet, but on a bright note the new breakwater hasn't broken yet :thumb:

Last edited:
If you get a strong wind on the bow, the forces on the bow-lines will be quite high because of their shallow angle.

Given the geometry of the set-up (maybe 50' bow-lines only 10' in front of the bow) the wind force acting on the boat would be multiplied by five.

So, if there was a chance of strong winds from the direction of the bow the lines should be hefty and well tied.

Wind from other directions are probably well handled by the spidering.

Attachments

• MXE17767.jpg
    MXE17767.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 70
If you get a strong wind on the bow, the forces on the bow-lines will be quite high because of their shallow angle.

Given the geometry of the set-up (maybe 50' bow-lines only 10' in front of the bow) the wind force acting on the boat would be multiplied by five.

So, if there was a chance of strong winds from the direction of the bow the lines should be hefty and well tied.

Wind from other directions are probably well handled by the spidering.

Good catch. Engineer?

I remember, now that you mention it, diagrams from rock climbing books explaining this effect when setting up belay anchors...less than 90 degrees progressively better, more than 90 degrees progressively bad/increasing load.

Thanks for the reminder.

My sympathies :D

Joking...my dad was a chemical engineer and in respectable company was considered nearly normal. I, on the other hand...

Lacing your boat in with stretchy lines should work fine, it is a common tactic in Patagonia anchorages. For anchors, it sounds like you may be a retired rock climber like myself, and we carry old cams and other climbing protection to use for anchor points on steep, rocky shores. We also have several retired climbing ropes on board, stretchy but strong, and easy to get from active climbers.

Lacing your boat in with stretchy lines should work fine, it is a common tactic in Patagonia anchorages. For anchors, it sounds like you may be a retired rock climber like myself, and we carry old cams and other climbing protection to use for anchor points on steep, rocky shores. We also have several retired climbing ropes on board, stretchy but strong, and easy to get from active climbers.

Yup...remember when Boreal Firés were new, friends were climbing partners, and 5.13 was mythical. I'm a hack, never got past 5.11, but count some of those days in the best I've ever lived.

Like the spider web springy line Patagonia idea :thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom