Tying to shore in a tiny bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With 50+/- feet of scope each line and 20 feet of tidal range I think you will need more than stretchy line. How about cable, or salvaged chain, fixed to shore, down the bank into the water to a weight and back to the surface to a buoy and from it to the boat, x 2 or all 4. I'm assuming this is something for more than a one time use and you're going to set it up beforehand with a small boat. Old big chain is good for anchor weights, drop manageable chunks down a buoy line. There's bound to be lots laying on the beach near you, and plastic fishing floats - they may be scarce up your way but plenty nearer the coast. Make some pennants and once you set this up you should be able to tie into it pretty easily. The wind possibility does have to be looked at, there can't be enough scope to allow you to be pushed onto the beach at low tide. It will take a period of monitoring and adjusting before you leave it alone all day. Once you've got it down, mark the lines and make up dedicated ones.

With 50+/- feet of scope each line and 20 feet of tidal range I think you will need more than stretchy line. How about cable, or salvaged chain, fixed to shore, down the bank into the water to a weight and back to the surface to a buoy and from it to the boat, x 2 or all 4. I'm assuming this is something for more than a one time use and you're going to set it up beforehand with a small boat. Old big chain is good for anchor weights, drop manageable chunks down a buoy line. There's bound to be lots laying on the beach near you, and plastic fishing floats - they may be scarce up your way but plenty nearer the coast. Make some pennants and once you set this up you should be able to tie into it pretty easily. The wind possibility does have to be looked at, there can't be enough scope to allow you to be pushed onto the beach at low tide. It will take a period of monitoring and adjusting before you leave it alone all day. Once you've got it down, mark the lines and make up dedicated ones.

All good ideas, but it's in a park, so anything permanent would be frowned upon.

...Hmm.. DP? A stout tie to the shore and idle ahead on autopilot. Sounds like a lot of work for a day hike if you've got to pack it out every time.

I might try a different choice before selecting your spot. There is an island across the way and I would first look at the possibility of setting well a bow anchor between the island and the mainland (north opening), plus fore and aft floating poly lines ashore, both sides, with chafe protection. Vertical tide may not be a major factor in this scenario. A little movement isn't going to hurt much. One side may tensioned while the other is a little slack. Kellets might help some, but probably unnecessary.

Been by there but not IN there. I think planning around a good weather prognosis will make the issue moot. Can be so nice in your neighborhood, at times. Went up the Kitalope as far as the lake by dinghy one June day, but the river was low. Had to replace the prop afterward! And not one bear! Also, did not take into account the temp. difference as we were under-dressed under our foulies. (Had 2" of snow in Kitimat 2 days before.) Learned a lesson on that one and did not linger as long as we wanted. (Also, beware of what "stuff" is often coming downriver.)

Hi JP2,

There looks to be a spot to anchor, tucked up into the very northern tip of the lagoon beside a small island, is that where you're talking about?

Looks tempting, with what seems like enough swing radius with the anchor in 50' of water at high tide, and enough swing radius for low tide with a 1:5 scope, which is pretty good in the scheme of things around here. Bit of slope to the bottom, so would have to see strong any outflow winds might be.

Will have to see what is really there though, because the charts have warnings about depths changing since they were sounded about 100 years ago.

Must have been lots of snow left in the mountains in Gardner Canal when you were there in June...did you hear/see any avalanches?

Weird not seeing a bear. We sat back at a respectful distance and watched a grizzly swim 2 Kilometres across Gardner Canal. It's back was still out of the water at the end of it. Rock walls everywhere, no beaches, so it clawed its way through near vertical seaweed and climbed a ramp in the rock to get into the trees.

Last edited:
Murray, serious question. Suppose you do proceed to try this three point tie, how many people will be involved. Asking because to anchor and do a simple stern tie is more than I want to do single handed while the admiral watches.
I am thinking at least 2 that can work in tandem. The vid showed seasoned sailors.
How does one practise this?

Murray, serious question. Suppose you do proceed to try this three point tie, how many people will be involved. Asking because to anchor and do a simple stern tie is more than I want to do single handed while the admiral watches.
I am thinking at least 2 that can work in tandem. The vid showed seasoned sailors.
How does one practise this?

Have never done it before, but pretty sure the bottom is very steep so grounding wouldn't be serious issue. My wife would be at the helm and I'd have the pleasure of dealing with the shore lines.

So many factors involved...probably won't be feasible some times and easy-peazy other times.

I try to get the admiral to partake, need time to build up confidence.

Yup, I can draw from experience having done stuff most have not thought of, but never single handed.
When I was in early 20's a skipper showed me a few tricks like nosing up to a cliff to fill the water tanks from the spring using a hose and funnel.
Dropped the anchor 300 feet straight down and stern tied where there was a deep/steep drop off. So your plans bring out memories of the non standard boating.
Do you have any anchorages with mooring buoys. This time of year they should be empty. Practise the three point with only one to shore.

I try to get the admiral to partake, need time to build up confidence.

Yup, I can draw from experience having done stuff most have not thought of, but never single handed.
When I was in early 20's a skipper showed me a few tricks like nosing up to a cliff to fill the water tanks from the spring using a hose and funnel.
Dropped the anchor 300 feet straight down and stern tied where there was a deep/steep drop off. So your plans bring out memories of the non standard boating.
Do you have any anchorages with mooring buoys. This time of year they should be empty. Practise the three point with only one to shore.

The only two mooring buoys I know of in this area are at Weewanie and Europa hot springs.

My wife is at the helm while coming up on our crab traps and does the final positioning when anchoring...I get the glory of scrambling over slick shore boulders or hauling myself into the trees from the dinghy by climbing huckleberry bushes whilst setting up stern ties.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
What man has not gone the extra mile. You at least are a rock climber, what is a few boulders. Best of luck if you do try this.

Have never done it before, but pretty sure the bottom is very steep so grounding wouldn't be serious issue. My wife would be at the helm and I'd have the pleasure of dealing with the shore lines.

So many factors involved...probably won't be feasible some times and easy-peazy other times.

Anchoring and tying back is sometimes precluded by excessive currents. We have aborted more than once for that reason. We even bought a pair of headsets, so I can communicate with Janet while she controls the boat, me in the dinghy. Haven't actually used the headset method yet, but it works well in the Motorhome, so should work for boating. Biggest problem with us is that I will use reverse in positioning the boat, but with a line in the water, she will NOT. Often, with a spool of 600' of stern line, anchoring within 300' of shore, it really doesn't matter where the boat drifts, crowding permitting, while the stern line is run ashore, as it can be hauled short once fastened on shore. Then a second shore line or a second anchor can go out later, for fine tuning.

Back
Top Bottom