Tradewinds MY 43 chain and rode recomendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvarholy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Julie
Vessel Make
Tradewinds 43
I am mostly in the Chesapeake anchoring in 20' or less. Boat weighs about 35k. Have a Good Windlass model 800. Replaced 40# Atwood with 73# Rocna. Windlass calls for 9/16 three strand rode and 3/8" BBB. Just seeking recommendations as to length of each. I plan to stay out even in less than ideal weather.

Daniel

What is the lifting capacity of the "good windlass'?

How far from the anchor shank to the windlass?

Are the bow rollers large or small?

Do you use a stern anchor"

Do you use an anchor ball trip line?

The windlass is rated for 800 lbs. There is about 2' distance from the anchor shank to the windlass sprocket. Never used a stern anchor. I don't know what an anchor ball trip line is.

Daniel

I can only tell you what my selection would be.

5 or 10 ft of chain , the rest nylon line.

I am mostly in the Chesapeake anchoring in 20' or less. Boat weighs about 35k. Have a Good Windlass model 800. Replaced 40# Atwood with 73# Rocna. Windlass calls for 9/16 three strand rode and 3/8" BBB. Just seeking recommendations as to length of each. I plan to stay out even in less than ideal weather.

Daniel

It would also be helpful for calculations if you mentioned the boat type and relative windage. That said, my boat is also 35k lbs. I have a Rocna 33 as well. I suggest 200' chain and 100' three strand. That should cover you in up to 50' of water in all but a severe blow. One other thing to note is that the Rocna 33 can develop more holding power than the SWL of your chain.

Ken

I am mostly in the Chesapeake anchoring in 20' or less. ... Just seeking recommendations as to length of each. I plan to stay out even in less than ideal weather.

I can tell you we use a 25' chain leader, and then we have 300' of 8-plait available.

The reason for such a short chain leader is all about cleaning Chesapeake mud out of the links as we bring the anchor back aboard... and the rope tends to be less affected by the mud.

In other areas with less mud, I'd likely go back to all-chain... but in the meantime, the rope also means I don't usually have to mess with mounting a bridle, etc. either.

-Chris

Perhaps youve already taken this into consideration, and it's a little late since you bought the anchor, but make sure you can lift the anchor and chain manually for when the windlass fails.
Don't ask me how I know this.

Some folks will have mounted a small (usually used) sail boat winch on the stern quarter that is on the side they prefer to tie up.

These can be a great help in docking , or locking.

A line with a chain hook from the stern winch can be a great manual assist if the boe windlass or capstan dies.

Very good suggestions. I am concerned because this windlass does not have a fitting for a hand crank (like those used on sailboats). With $800 of anchor and about as much in chain and rode, I do need to consider what happens if the windlass fails or jams up. This windlass may be replaced for just that reason.

Daniel

Ay least have a bouy or fender large enough to float a tag line so you could mark the location of the anchor in case you could not retrieve it.

Very good suggestions. I am concerned because this windlass does not have a fitting for a hand crank (like those used on sailboats). With $800 of anchor and about as much in chain and rode, I do need to consider what happens if the windlass fails or jams up. This windlass may be replaced for just that reason.

Daniel

This is a very good point. Also, looking at the limited data I can find online I'm not sure that winch is really powerful enough for your new ground tackle.

Ken

Seems like you have a nice, heavy, high-performance anchor. And Rocna's sizing chart is generally conservative from what I understand. All this means you could be positioned for excellent short scope performance. So here's my suggestion:

Go out and buy 2ft of 3/4" stud link chain. Fix that in front of your 3/8" rode. Since the Ches.Bay isn't covered with coral reefs you really don't need too much chain. Plus consider that nasty mud thing you have going on over there. Now you'll be anchoring on 3:1 in all but heavy blows.

Give your windlass the normal maintenance that it requires. If the motor has brushes then change them out. Check the wire condition for corrosion and correct sizing and voltage drop. If all is good then you're good to go. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom