too big an anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rslifkin,
Sure there’s enough variables to make your head swim but you’ll never get to reality w/o building a base ... that often delivers close enough.

One of the reasons I have never dragged is because most all the anchoring I’ve done was in SE Alaska and northern Canada. In the summer most northern anchorages are very calm. But I’ve done a 50 knot gale in northern BC .. twice. One needs to be prepared for that but usually it’s calm.
Back to the point though windage is more important and I am lucky there too as I have a low windage boat w a fairly deep draft.
But the point I need to make is that windage is far more difficult to calculate. So we use LOA or weight.

OD sure. Could you handle a Claw (did you call a Claw a plow?) one notch up ... what would that be (56#)? And if it was a Bruce ... smile.
What’s an aluminum fluke anchor .. a Spade?

Just what anchors DO you have Dan?

claw (looks like a Lewmar 44#, came with the boat) and Fortress FX16, I believe.

Anchors, like many things in life, are a compromise.
The anchor choices are based upon windless capabilities too. Mine is a Lofrans-Tigeress.

Maybe I should carry one or two cast iron engine block to use as anchors? :hide:

Anchor fixation!

I've decided to upgrade Sylphide's ground tackle to this, so that I might be the king of Trawler Forum henceforth and forthwith.

At first it looked like the point of pull was off-center. But no.

Actually I like the design. Looks like it could be made from flat plate steel and may not even clog w mud as all the likely spots are w shallow angles only.

Now the original vid has disappeared.

The next one is just a considerably different Danforth.

Got back up. Big gear. Reminds me of working in the mines in Alaska when I was a young man. I actually usta be able to swing a pick as accurately as these guys swung hammers. I bookmarked it.
Just in case I wanna build one of those anchors.

Hey Mark, havi’n fun yet?

Last edited:
Are there any disadvantages to a seriously oversized anchor (sizing chart wise) given that she fits perfectly on the bow, windlass is rated to handle it with appropriately sized chain etc? Bought a biggin as a storm anchor for full time cruising and now can't see a reason to just keep it as a primary. I've never cruised the Western Caribbean but some of those squalls look spooky...

Nope!
85lb Mantus 200’ 3/8 G4 chain
42’ trawler 28000 lbs dry
Fits perfect in pulpit
I sleep well while others are doing the Chinese Fire Drill @ 2am
Ground tackle is no place to skimp on $. Disaster is only 1 strong blow away.
I’m sure someone else will have a different opinion.
Do what works for you!

Another NW boat here, set up with (somewhat) oversized anchors ...

I have a stern tie set up (600 feet polypropylene)
and 2 primary anchor setups.

Due to lack of space at the pulpit, only one anchor is hanging and ready to go - 66# Spade with 300 feet of chain.

I have a divided chain locker, but the windlass (Lofrens Tigres) has a chain gypsy on one side, but a rope drum on the other. So, my alternate primary is an alloy Excel anchor that comes apart into two pieces. I have about 40 feet of chain and 340 feet of brait in chain locker #2. There is a deck opening that I can reach into, and the end of the chain is on a hook within reach. The anchor is broken down into its two component pieces, and is laid in that chain locker. Because it’s alloy and in two pieces, it’s very easy to carry the anchor up on the bow, assemble it and fasten to the rhode.

Oh, and anchor #1 has a pre-installed retrieval system....:)

If I had to pull up anchor #1 by hand, In theory I would use a block and tackle or perhaps my 1000# crane. Hopefully, I won’t have to test that theory!

I sleep well while others are doing the Chinese Fire Drill @ 2am
Ground tackle is no place to skimp on $. Disaster is only 1 strong blow away.

Yep, I dont even wake up when 40 knots comes through at night now

Meanwhile, we just had a 25 knot 180 degree wind change and its bloody amateur hour out here with boats scrabbling to reset dragging gear.
About to go out with the bitch wings on for some muppet who is trying to set up in front of us for their 3rd attempt.

Where are you at present Sim..?

North Stradbroke Island
Myora, One mile, Deanbilla, Price's or somewhere in the Canaipa Passage, like RQYS, The Huts, etc..? Just interested, as they were some of our favourite spots. :)

With talk of afternoon storms, Deanbilla for space and good holding
Myora and out amongst the sandbanks is our usual haunt
No space in the one mile for us
And we try not to venture south of Peel or Deanbilla - don't like it down amongst the mud people but if 30+ for a few days is happening we will run down to "cowards corner" (canaipa/rqys)

With talk of afternoon storms, Deanbilla for space and good holding
Myora and out amongst the sandbanks is our usual haunt
No space in the one mile for us
And we try not to venture south of Peel or Deanbilla - don't like it down amongst the mud people but if 30+ for a few days is happening we will run down to "cowards corner" (canaipa/rqys)
Gotcha, ta. I must admit first time into the One Mile I had to kedge off a shallow spot, so also tended to avoid. Especially once they got all precious about non-members of the 'Little Ships Club' daring to use their water outlet or the jetty to access land.
Cheers, and remember the advice an old sea salt gave me after I regaled him (at the One Mile, actually) with the excitement we had experiencing a Southerly buster at Peel's Horseshoe Bay - and dragging. That was before I got the S-Sarca. He said, "there are just two places to never overnight in Moreton Bay, and Peel Island is both of them..!" I always heeded that. :D

No such animal!

Two guys standing beside a huge anchor.
First guy says “Eric isn’t that anchor too big?”
Eric reply’s “Is that even possible?”

Sorry guys, you have it all wrong. Eric doesn't believe in huge over-sized anchors. He's all too aware of the weight involved in retrieval. He doesn't even favour all-chain rodes.

Well if the anchor is too big obviously won’t fit on the boat or the boat will turn turtle.

Peter big anchors are great ... just not bigger than they need to be.
And anymore chain than 1/2 the rode is too much .. as in not needed.
But if I get older I may need to buy a windlass.
Then I’d hafta look in the anchor locker to see what’s there.
And if I went all chain it would need to be 200’ X 1/4”. Then I could splice in 200’ of 1/2” nylon line. Or maybe 9/16”.

But one thing at a time. Gotta get my bow modded for my new anchors.

But I am light in the bow ..... or heavy in the stern.

Eric, did you see my post on your other thread re the special bowsprit/roller combinations Anchorright make specifically for the Super Sarca..? I expect you did.

Yes I did but I think it’s too short.
But I see in the brochure they appear to come in different lengths.
So when the time comes l’ll call Ground Tackle and see what they’ve got and can get.
On the page w “bow roller specs” it appears the one in the illustration comes in numerous lengths. I’ll try to get one when I’m ready.

"Peter big anchors are great ... just not bigger than they need to be."

How does one decide the next thunderstorm will never have a water spout within?

FF,
HaHa I knew someone would say that but you’re right ... ya don’t.

And if you survive one or two screamers using this or that and then change gear you’re back out into the unknown again.
But the more experience we gain the more confidence we gain. Then we operate in a zone between wise choices and not even thinking about it ... the ultimate complacency.

Of course we can bounce our thoughts off our TF friends and look at manufacturers recommendations w a tendency to compare them all but all the above should get us close to reality and what and how to use it.

But re thunderstorms and waterspouts we in the NW pretty much don’t have those. I did, however encounter a small waterspout in a river slough near Everett Wa.

Last edited:
years ago, i installed a commercial HYDRALIC anchor winch, will almost pull the bottom up! i have 100 ft of 5/16`s chain, and 250 ft of 5/8" stranded anchor line, no swivel, did a ROPE/CHAIN back splice, with about 5 or 6 tucks to make anchor line winde on the winch correctly! it runs off a double pully on the front of my single VOLVO 70B! bought a heavy duty truck power steering pump with 2 belts, it sits on a bracket/plate next to the front of the engine, with 2 hoses to the winch! my wife always drops the hook, and lets me know it`s set, she runs the boat, while i pull the anchor in...thure bats those funny looking micky mouse pleasure boat anchor winches!...clyde

Note that the OP said "oversized" but nothing about the weight. Don't immediately assume it's an overly heavy anchor. Some more details on the specific type of anchor would be helpful. Depending on the design, it may be inferior to some newer anchors of smaller size.

Anchor size

Are there any disadvantages to a seriously oversized anchor (sizing chart wise) given that she fits perfectly on the bow, windlass is rated to handle it with appropriately sized chain etc? Bought a biggin as a storm anchor for full time cruising and now can't see a reason to just keep it as a primary. I've never cruised the Western Caribbean but some of those squalls look spooky...

Contrary to popular belief, size does matter. The best (and cheapest) insurance you can buy is ground tackle and docking lines. The only down side is that if your windlass fails, you have to either have a backup system to haul it aboard or you have to use your back. Obviously, you could mark it, cut it loose and come back with a diver to retrieve it but that's unlikely. If your boat can handle an oversize anchor and you are cruising, keep it. If you are day sailing or weekending on protected waters, you don't need it but it's nice to have.

Thanks TF for so many interesting and well supported perspectives. 10,000 lb. boat, 33 pound Rocna, 50’ 5/16” chain, 150’ 1/2” 3 strand. Deepest point in current cruising water is 25’, 7x scope anywhere. Fortress lunch hook with shorter ride. Longer rode with more chain at home if we plan to visit the Chesapeake again. Current 303 lbs. displacement per lb. of anchor, upgraded from 404:1 ratio, but longer but lighter chain and 3 strand that came with boat. Made that upgrade choice partially due to input found on TF years ago. Small Kellett to suspend from chain before 3 strand, but rarely use it.....

Bruce wrote;
“ There is also a kind of swivel set to prevent jamming/chain twisting when using the SS slot with a sliding shackle. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sarca-An...AAAOSwtoNfB2Z4.
Probably not a Sarca part.I figured out something similar using an old style swivel.”

Bruce you or Peter recommended this bow/sprit/roller about a week ago. Now I see it would be about $500. I expected about $150.

I may be able to use the one I’ve got.
And I’ve got a straight shackle that won’t flip over.
Probably perfect.

Last edited:
Bruce you or Peter recommended this bow/sprit/roller about a week ago. Now I see it would be about $500. I expected about $150.
I may be able to use the one I’ve got.
And I’ve got a straight shackle that won’t flip over.
At $500 USD I`d be trying another way too. I`m just paying $690 AUD direct to Sarca for a #5 Excel delivered from Melbourne in Victoria to Sydney, with a modest saving on retail and freight. AUD $ buys about 73C of a USD.
Eric, I found the chain got tangled around the end of the anchor shank so added a swivel, more to get the chain away from the shank than twist. A fitting on the market to fix that says it`s a common problem with the SS. From memory, it impeded setting.

Bruce,
Does the SS rotate as it descends? I haven’t noticed that. But I don’t see much of my anchors as they decent into our murky water.
I have a 5/8ths (mostly) nylon rode. Perhaps I won’t have that problem but thanks for the heads up. Never had a twisted rode. Perhaps the nylon “brait” line doesn't get twisted?

Still not convinced swivels do anything good beyond creating another point that can create troubles. Don’t believe anchors rotate on swivels during their descent nor unloaded ascent. Do believe twist is concentrated down toward the anchor end of chain as it’s raised. Simple fix is to retrieve chain slowly once broken free to allow time for twist to be removed. We wait a few seconds to retrieve the last few feet. If kinking occurs in the chain locker find a traffic cone. Cut the bottom so it aligns with the contour of the bottom of that locker when placed directly under the fall. Make sure it works then secure in place. Do believe profile of the roller matters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom