Old 07-09-2021, 06:36 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Thoughts on my ground tackle?

My current main anchor setup on my Grand Banks 42', 34,000 lbs / 17 tons displacement is:

275' 3/8" BBB chain
#33 Vulcan anchor, 73 lbs.
Mantus S2 Swivel

Just curious about other's thoughts on this. It seems like everything fits and my chain is in good shape, but I am wondering about the S2 vs. the larger S3 swivel.

Any comments are appreciated.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:49 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I'd say that's generally reasonably sized gear. My boat is 38', 26k lbs. So a little smaller and lower windage than a GB 42, but not a lot. I've got the same 73lb Vulcan, but I'm using 5/16" G43 chain (90 feet) and 5/8" 8 plait line (300 feet). No swivel on mine though.

Personally, I'd try yours without the swivel and determine if your setup needs it or not. If it works well without it, save the extra parts, cost of potentially upsizing, etc. and leave it out. If you have trouble getting the anchor into the roller without a swivel, the consider if you should up-size it.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Why include a swivel. It is an extra cost and additional point-of-failure.

What's the benefit?
Old 07-09-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I'd say that's generally reasonably sized gear. My boat is 38', 26k lbs. So a little smaller and lower windage than a GB 42, but not a lot. I've got the same 73lb Vulcan, but I'm using 5/16" G43 chain (90 feet) and 5/8" 8 plait line (300 feet). No swivel on mine though.

Personally, I'd try yours without the swivel and determine if your setup needs it or not. If it works well without it, save the extra parts, cost of potentially upsizing, etc. and leave it out. If you have trouble getting the anchor into the roller without a swivel, the consider if you should up-size it.
Thanks. You describe the one issue I am having and what caused me to review it all. The anchor is hanging up at the roller and sometimes causing so much strain that I blow the windlass fuse. I thought moving to the Mantus swivel might help before I look at extending the roller setup so it eases up a little smoother. Also looked at a new windlass so I can add "down" to it, but that turns into a project really quickly given the line up of the port side gypsy and hawse down to the chain locker. I would have to reinvent the wheel as far as I can tell.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
Why include a swivel. It is an extra cost and additional point-of-failure.

What's the benefit?
See my last post for an explanation. We also battle with getting the anchor turned properly to come on deck. Invariably it comes up the wrong way around.
A 73 lb anchor and 100 lb wife isn't a good combination.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
Guru

I see your problem. Probably a common one (My windlass sometimes struggles at that point.)

Not sure those swivels will solve either problem although it will help orient the anchor by hand.

There are special swivels that are longer and have a "knee" that I think would work.

To bring the anchor up facing the right way I had a machine shop cut a groove on the forward roller so the chain would not twist between the roller and the windlass. I haven't tried it yet, though.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
Guru

These would solve your problems:
Attached Thumbnails
giratorio-curvo-ancla-cadena.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #8
Guru

The bow roller and bracket in the second picture are pretty much what I have now. I was thinking (always dangerous) that a second roller, lower down at an angle would help ease it up somewhat. I have not seen the item in the first picture.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #9
Guru

So even with the compound bow roller the windlass struggles?

I have no experience with these but I was pretty sure they help "getting over the hump".

No personal experience with the bent swivel but to me it seems it would work. Then again, I thought the compound bow roller would work ...
Old 07-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
So even with the compound bow roller the windlass struggles?

I have no experience with these but I was pretty sure they help "getting over the hump".

No personal experience with the bent swivel but to me it seems it would work. Then again, I thought the compound bow roller would work ...
Sorry, I must have explained it poorly. At this point I don't have a compound roller setup. Just the single roller much like the one shown in the pic above.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Guru

I describe the one in the picture as "compound" because the bracket where the forward roller is mounted pivots around the pin near the other end.

The base of the is the small bracket on the right. this is fixed to the anchor pulpit and the longer bracket with the large and small rollers the pivots.

As the anchor comes up it would the at a roughly 45º angle and when the anchor reaches it it would go horizontal, as in the picture.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
See my last post for an explanation. We also battle with getting the anchor turned properly to come on deck. Invariably it comes up the wrong way around.
A 73 lb anchor and 100 lb wife isn't a good combination.
Wife should always be twice the weight of the anchor

Al jokes aside, we had a 125# claw anchor that always came up rotated up. We installed two HD chain swivels, then it always came up and self rotated into the rollers in the proper orientation.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #13
Guru

Thanks to all. I have the Mantus swivel and will give it a shot. If no change then I think I will look deeper into the new roller bracket. I have seen the rotating brackets but never paid much attention to them. Until now.
Old 07-09-2021, 08:23 AM   #14
Guru

One more question on this regarding the rotating bracket. Are these, or should these, be through-bolted or just screwed in?
Old 07-09-2021, 09:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
I would bolt through - just replaced my bolts and beefed up the glass and backing plates below. We have a 60lb claw. and a swivel, with a single roller (grooved) and it comes up perfectly every time - so far.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
Oh hey Hal, seems like it's been a while. I MISSED YOU!

I have the same issue with my setup, once the top end of the shank gets to the roller, it just stops coming up. I have to send it back down and try again. Sometimes I have to grab the roll bar with a boat hook to help it make the transition.

I was thinking about adding a larger diameter roller to mine, so it's a more gradual transition, rather than a tight little 90 degree operation. I dunno if it'll work, but I'll try it one of these days.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Oh hey Hal, seems like it's been a while. I MISSED YOU!

I have the same issue with my setup, once the top end of the shank gets to the roller, it just stops coming up. I have to send it back down and try again. Sometimes I have to grab the roll bar with a boat hook to help it make the transition.

I was thinking about adding a larger diameter roller to mine, so it's a more gradual transition, rather than a tight little 90 degree operation. I dunno if it'll work, but I'll try it one of these days.
Hey there my friend! That burgee is getting very dated you know...I think we need a new one! ARGHGH!!!!

I have been missing because we have done ZIP with the boat over the past year. Just finished 35 days of a planned 10-day haul out getting everything back in shape and ready to go. Lots of personal things went on over the past year that prevented us from going anywhere but those are all cleared up and we are back in the trawler game! Just need to be able to pull up my anchor without blowing a fuse.....
Old 07-12-2021, 07:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
The Vulcan is a real PITA to get into the roller backwards. On my setup, it just won't do it. But if it's at least a little bit sideways, it works fine. So if it comes up backwards, I just poke it with a boat hook right before it hits the roller to start it rotating. Once it's a bit off from backwards, it'll rotate the rest of the way on its own, even with no swivel.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #19
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
The ultra flip-swivel ALWAYS flips my anchor to the proper orientation when it comes over the roller regardless of how it comes out of the water. No interaction necessary.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
The Vulcan is a real PITA to get into the roller backwards. On my setup, it just won't do it. But if it's at least a little bit sideways, it works fine. So if it comes up backwards, I just poke it with a boat hook right before it hits the roller to start it rotating. Once it's a bit off from backwards, it'll rotate the rest of the way on its own, even with no swivel.
Comforting to know it isn't just us. We have a hard time rotating it when it gets to the pulpit. Just doesn't want to turn around without a good deal of effort. This is why I am looking to see if a new swivel would help. Only one way to find out!