Swivel or no Swivel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think I didn’t miss the point. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe that’s not an issue as been anchoring in 10-50’ of water with out a swivel and all chain no issue. Have anchored in tidal rivers and cuts with 180 degree shifts no issue. Don’t see how a swivel would make any difference at all on a shift or reset. We’ve been spending 250 to 300 days a year on the hook and have yet to see any benefit from a swivel. But then again been fortunate having not had the anchor not line up. Thought that’s why people put swivels on.

After playing with some swivel options a bit, I just keep a boat hook handy during retrieval. On my boat, if it's oriented wrong, prod the anchor into something closer to the correct orientation with the boat hook and then bump the windlass up to just barely bring it onto the roller, at which point it flips into the correct orientation (it won't flip if it's perfectly backwards when it hits the roller, it'll just stop and not come onto the roller at all). Once it orients, then bring it the rest of the way in.

That would NOT work on my installation, but the Mantus swivel sure does.

I’m trying to determine which way to go. I took a walk on several of the docks here and it looks like about 40% are a single shackle, 40% eye and loop swivel with shackle, 15% shackle and shackle, and 5% are the fancy pinned/jaw swivel like Lewmar without any shackle.
I saw one of the Flip swivels. I talked to the owner but he said it came with his boat and he hasn’t used it yet.
I saw another that looked like the Mantis swivel but couldn’t focus on the small lettering well enough to guess at the manufacturer.
So, I still don’t know for sure.
My anchor does come in backwards from time to time. It’s 36” from the bow roller to the gypsy and on long retrieves the chain starts to hop in the center of the 3 feet and if allowed to continue will jump the gypsy and bind up. This seems to be avoidable if I do the retrieve in shorter power blasts to the windlass(vertical). I think maybe some of the hop is caused by chain twist so my reason to change out my single shackle.
Lots of opinions and options for sure.

High Strength Ultra 5/16" Flip Swivel Available

I have an extra ULTRA 5/16" Ultra Flip swivel I can set you up with.

They are very strong, rotate the anchor so it will sit on the bow roller right the first time, and attractive to see.

These are very well made & very strong -- as strong or stronger than your chain. --- Rated at 9140 Lbs. -----.

I have two more, just like this extra one I have shown below in picture, on my boat dual bow anchors & I love them. --- Work great & last along time.

Let me know if your interested.

Alfa Mike ------------- E-mail: alfa mike 8277 at yahoo dot com

Attachments

• Ultra Anchor Swivel - 9140 Lb Rated - 5-16 size.jpg
    Ultra Anchor Swivel - 9140 Lb Rated - 5-16 size.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Which Swivel Is Strongest

Which Swivel Is Strongest -- Practical Sailor did this chart.

So if your going to use a swivel - or Flip Swivel - go with the Ultra.

For example for (3/8") size - Part # USF10

Working load --12,410 lbs.

Minimum rated tensile strength -- 37,230 lbs.

So stronger than your typical G-30 or G-43 chain most of us use.

But also the most expensive at over $ 400.00 each.

That is what I use, & the flip works good for me to go on to the anchor bow roller in proper orientation.

Thanks,

Alfa Mike

Attachments

• Anchor Swivel Strength Chart - Practical Sailor 02.jpg
    Anchor Swivel Strength Chart - Practical Sailor 02.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The simplest way to avoid every single point anchor failure is a Second Anchor.

AS it can be smaller and lighter , even a Danforth copy in aluminum , setting and hauling are very easy.

Most are a blessing for a high windage nervous boat.

Back
Top Bottom