Swing on the hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry to be a bit off subject here, but you really should get rid of the Bruce and get a next gen anchor like a Rocna as your #1 anchor. The Bruce was never designed as a short term anchor, but rather as an anchor to let set for a long period on things like oil rigs.
You'll find that if you have a better (next gen) anchor, you won't need as much scope and therefore you will swing less.

The Bruce may not be "next gen" but is one of the best all around anchors out there. It has been a very popular anchor in the PNW because of it's ability to veer with tide changes.

It sets quickly. It will not trip during 180 degree tide swings. With each 180, the anchor corkscrews into the bottom improving holding.

Good holding in most bottoms. Might not penetrate hard clay and heavy grass as well but most anchors have difficulty with those type bottoms.

It may not have as much absolute holding power as other anchors but that is overcome with a heavier anchor one or two sizes bigger.

The Genuine Bruce have a thinner, sharper edge than the inexpensive Claw, which allows the Bruce to set quicker.

I would not buy a knockoff Bruce. We tested a couple Claws with a hydraulic press when they first came out after the Bruce's went off market. The Claws were easily bent and one shank broke. The Genuine Bruce's are heat treated and survived the tests intact.

We've been using Genuine Bruce anchors since the 70's on every boat owned. We anchor in tidal areas. Current anchor is a 66# Genuine Bruce.

We've never dragged and we've been in some big blows by ourselves and with a 56' Sonship rafted to us.

I would not have any other anchor in the PNW.

Last edited:
The time with the 56' Sonship rafted alongside us was when we still had the Genuine Bruce 44. 35 knot wind with gusts We stayed in place that night but upped to the 66 Bruce that fall.

Bought it used from Florida and had it shipped. The 66 and 110 are scarce on the used market.

"I would not buy a knockoff Bruce."

I would never buy a knock off any brand anchor .

With a bit of searching a used whatever can usually be located for less than a new knockoff.

Expect for the rare cases where the knockoff is proven as good or better. Or the real thing just isn't available. Look at the fortress. Technically, it's a Danforth knock off. But it works as well or better.

That was funny... its almost like Foreverunderway threw out that adverse comment on Bruce anchors just to see the "exciting" reaction.. Ha!
But seriously we've used nothing but a Bruce for the last three years and love it; it always sets right away and we've never lost our hold.
Sometimes there's a little too much hand-wringing about rushing out to buy the "latest" gadget.......

We went for a dock walk last night here in La Conner, WA and more than 60% of the boats had the BRUCE. ?

I use a 77lb ROCNA and all chain rode. It has performed flawlessly. Sets quickly and I have never dragged it. Once it is set, you are set to enjoy.

Expect for the rare cases where the knockoff is proven as good or better. Or the real thing just isn't available. Look at the fortress. Technically, it's a Danforth knock off. But it works as well or better.

The Fortress is not a knockoff of a Dansforth by a wide margin.

It is an improved redesign of the Danforth with adjustable fluke/shaft angles, disassembles for storage and manufactured from lightweight aluminum.

That was funny... its almost like Foreverunderway threw out that adverse comment on Bruce anchors just to see the "exciting" reaction.. Ha!
But seriously we've used nothing but a Bruce for the last three years and love it; it always sets right away and we've never lost our hold.
Sometimes there's a little too much hand-wringing about rushing out to buy the "latest" gadget.......

Some boaters without the proper knowledge and experience will blame the anchor for their inability to set the anchor or dragging.

They run out and buy the latest, greatest "Next Gen" anchor thinking that the anchor will cure their inability to successfully anchor.

Almost any anchor; old fashioned, stockless navy anchor etc will hold perfectly fine with adequate rode, scope and proper anchoring technique.

Successful anchoring is probably 65% technique and 35% type of anchor.

Improving technique will result in less hand wringing and a better night's sleep at anchor than searching for the best anchor.

Last edited:
"Sometimes there's a little too much hand-wringing about rushing out to buy the "latest" gadget......."

Bestitis is not just a boating illness.

It may not have as much absolute holding power as other anchors but that is overcome with a heavier anchor one or two sizes bigger.

The Genuine Bruce have a thinner, sharper edge than the inexpensive Claw, which allows the Bruce to set quicker.

I would not buy a knockoff Bruce. We tested a couple Claws with a hydraulic press when they first came out after the Bruce's went off market. The Claws were easily bent and one shank broke. The Genuine Bruce's are heat treated and survived the tests intact.

However, knockoffs can be readily picked up from commercial salvagers for pennies on the dollar. I used some horrible Danforth knock-off on my boat in the Persian Gulf - didn't have access to much anything else. But I oversized it multiple times and the edges had to be ground sharp in order to cut through the hard pan crust.

First anchor ever report. First... we survived! ? We were all done, just set a good 3:01 all chain rode in 30’, and a sailboat drives up, drops anchor and ends up 2 boat lengths from us and says “sorry I got so close” and went below. A large sailboat and us, weighed anchor and got away from this inconsiderate dummy. So when we reset the hook half mile away, I dropped the same rode, feeling great, I.e. this is easy! I put myself in an area of silly currents and in no time knew what the anchor swing was all about. ? Being new to this, I fired up the iPhone anchor alarm. Biggest mistake with this tool was I set it after anchoring and not marking the spot where the anchor hit the bottom. Landmarks ended up being our confidence for the 18 hours we were there. Doing it again soon.

Dave

Mark,
Get a SARCA and not worry.
Remember the slot? Just back over the set anchor and pull it out backwards.

Or Manson supreme, even Rocna.

Saying that, we have never used the slot yet.
Never jammed an anchor in 40 years and multiple boats.

First anchor ever report. First... we survived! ? We were all done, just set a good 3:01 all chain rode in 30’, and a sailboat drives up, drops anchor and ends up 2 boat lengths from us and says “sorry I got so close” and went below. A large sailboat and us, weighed anchor and got away from this inconsiderate dummy. So when we reset the hook half mile away, I dropped the same rode, feeling great, I.e. this is easy! I put myself in an area of silly currents and in no time knew what the anchor swing was all about. ? Being new to this, I fired up the iPhone anchor alarm. Biggest mistake with this tool was I set it after anchoring and not marking the spot where the anchor hit the bottom. Landmarks ended up being our confidence for the 18 hours we were there. Doing it again soon.

Dave

Good going!

When someone anchors that close, my wife gets on deck, puts her hands on her hips and gives them the loooooooong stink eye. That works 80% of the time. Next, she raises her arms and does an exaggerated look around and throws arms up. That works 90% of the time. Next she takes a pictures of the boat. That works 95% of the time.

We would never move if we anchored first. We always arrive at anchorages early, when it just emptied out, to get our favorite spots.

Wait! I have to learn this much about anchoring my new boat? I just can't toss it overboard:( Go to sleep, wake up?

Wait! I have to learn this much about anchoring my new boat? I just can't toss it overboard:( Go to sleep, wake up?

You pretty much can if you have the right gear.
We have done it every night for over 4years.
Have seen 80+ knots and deformed chain during that blow.
Never moved an inch.

The right gear? I like peace of mind and simplicity. What is your gear and "about" how much would it all costs?? This just to "park" my boat.

You could but you may not recognize your surroundings when you wake up or the boat will be high and dry on the beach.

The SARCA definitely is a peace of mind anchor. Shines at 3-1 too. Re-visit Steve’s Anchor Setting Video’s.

I've read/heard about the SARCA for a while but have never seen one here in the Seattle area. Lots of Rocnas and Ultras around our marina these days but the most prevalent here is definitely the bruce claw. Most with two I've observed carry a bruce and a CQR.

What are some other short scope "performers" out there?

-tozz

To be honest....what proof is there of short scope performers? A few anchor tests with inconclusive evidence?

Some of these tests fly in the face of reputable cruisers with a different opinion and real world experience.

To be honest....what proof is there of short scope performers? A few anchor tests with inconclusive evidence?

Some of these tests fly in the face of reputable cruisers with a different opinion and real world experience.
Good points. Seems like the more significant variables are floor type and anchoring technique.

I saw this on Ebay and watched several videos. It was very cheap at $224. Is it the right size for my 42 foot Ponderosa?

NEW SARCA Classic Galvanised Anchor #3 (6.5m-8.5m Boats) from Blue Bottle Marine

Last edited:
I saw this on Ebay...NEW SARCA Classic Galvanized Anchor #3 (6.5m-8.5m Boats) from Blue Bottle Marine
Isn`t Blue Bottle in Australia? Freight would be a deal breaker.
There is/was a distributor in Canada, I think on Vancouver Isl, someone will know.
You likely need a 22kg. no.5 for 12-15M boats, but check vessel weights. How your bow is set up will dictate whether you can accommodate a Super Sarca with rollbar, or an Excel.

Isn`t Blue Bottle in Australia? Freight would be a deal breaker.
There is/was a distributor in Canada, I think on Vancouver Isl, someone will know.
You likely need a 22kg. no.5 for 12-15M boats, but check vessel weights. How your bow is set up will dictate whether you can accommodate a Super Sarca with rollbar, or an Excel.

There is a North American distributor in Victoria, CA. I received the first anchor they shipped to the States. Very nice. Very helpful.

https://www.groundtackle.com/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom