Old 02-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #1

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
Another Anchor Question

I have a 42’ GB that is presently equipped with a CQR anchor of approximately 50#. From earlier threads a gather that the CQR is not a highly favored anchor. I’ve priced the Rocna anchor and it appears to be amongst the most expensive anchors available. On a best value basis which of the other plow style anchors would you recommend? A Mantus, Delta, or some other brand?

My expected anchoring profile will be Pacific Coastal, anchoring in sand and or rocks with anchor depth up to 50’ I presently have 150’ of 3/8” chain rode with another 150’ of Nylon rode.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Jim,
You say "sand and rocks". Did you know there's an anchor called the "Sand and Rock" anchor called the SARCA. Made in Australia and available through Ground Tackle Marine.
sales@groundtackle.com ... Victoria BC Canada. Cris at 250 516 7888.

I once bought a Claw thinking it would be good in Alaska re rock bottoms. We went to Juneau and back to Wa. and found most all anchorages were mud and some sand. Mostly mud though.

I've seen CQR's hold well in high winds but they are notorious for being hard to set.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Another vote for a SARCA....I have a #8 on my 57', 66,000lb Ocean Alexander and it's never failed to set or re-set quickly. You don't want an old-fashioned 'plough' style....they do just as the name suggests and pull a furrow across the seabed in a really hard blow rather than digging in and taking a set.

OK, now sit back while everyone else advocates for their anchor du jour !
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Go cruising for awhile and see how the CQR does for you. A lot of the boats we chartered, including a couple of Grand Banks 49's, had CQRs and they did well. one up in the San Juans and another in SW Florida, including one heck of a squall. A few months ago, we helped some friends bring a Gulfstar 44MY down from the Chesapeake to Morehead City and the CQR performed just fine then too. I didn't find them all that difficult to set. Anchoring is about 80% or so technique and 20% ground tackle, IMO.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #5
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
The general recommendation is: go with a modern anchor. CQR isn't one of them, Delta is kind of in between. My boat has 150 chain and 220 line and I am thinking in the next year or so of adding more line.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
As I recall the anchor comes up through the pulpit on a GB42. If I’m correct you don’t want a roll bar anchor like the Rocna. The roll bar will prevent it from seating correctly in the pulpit.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
As I recall the anchor comes up through the pulpit on a GB42. If I’m correct you don’t want a roll bar anchor like the Rocna. The roll bar will prevent it from seating correctly in the pulpit.
Sarca Excel doesn`t have a roll bar.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Manson supreme.
Has held us in 80+ knots and deformed the 13mm chain doing it.

Me, I would modify the boat to suit an anchor that works.
As a full time on the hook cruiser , security at anchor is everything.
Sleeps like the dead every night.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:18 AM   #9
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
My previous boat was a 1979 GB42. It had a CQR when I bought it but I hated that anchor. It was hard to set and inspired no confidence that it would re-set in a wind change in the middle of the night.

I changed it for a Delta which performed very well.

As you can see in the photographs the pulpit would accommodate a roll-bar anchor.

When bought my current boat, a 1973 GB50, it had a Hall, an old fashioned stockless anchor which was very heavy and did not set well either. I replaced that with a Rocna which has performed very well.

Even though the Rocna has performed well, based on what I have read, I wish I had bought a Spade.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruby - 1 (1).jpg   Ruby - 1 (2).jpg  
Old 02-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The old adage is "your anchor hasn't drug.....till it does".

Buying a Nexgen anchor was the first thing I did before serious cruising.

While you can anchor forever with almost anything, if you pick the right spot at the right time, its the one time you or a forecaster guesses wrong that you will wish for an anchor with a better rep.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"From earlier threads a gather that the CQR is not a highly favored anchor."

The old standbys the Danforth and CQR are not favored by folks SELLING anchors but seem to have worked just fine for 75 or so years.

Each does better in certain bottoms , although in bowling ball sized rocks the old heavy yachtsman hook style is required.

The Danforth does fine in ooze and sand where the large surface area is a help, the CQR is better in hard pack where its slightly smaller surface area is offset by its digging ability.

The huge markup makes advertising more affordable and the ability to repeat "anchor tests" till something nice looking is filmed helps the sellers.

BY all means purchase what is vogue , but as if you do serious cruising , hang on to your proven gear as loosing an anchor or two does happen.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #12

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"From earlier threads a gather that the CQR is not a highly favored anchor."

The old standbys the Danforth and CQR are not favored by folks SELLING anchors but seem to have worked just fine for 75 or so years.

Each does better in certain bottoms , although in bowling ball sized rocks the old heavy yachtsman hook style is required.

The Danforth does fine in ooze and sand where the large surface area is a help, the CQR is better in hard pack where its slightly smaller surface area is offset by its digging ability.

The huge markup makes advertising more affordable and the ability to repeat "anchor tests" till something nice looking is filmed helps the sellers.

BY all means purchase what is vogue , but as if you do serious cruising , hang on to your proven gear as loosing an anchor or two does happen.
Great input by everyone. Thank you. My only experience dragging was back in my sailing days. I anchored at nearby Catalina Island one evening. I thought she was set and went to bed. I awoke the next morning and things looked...different. Apparently, I had drifted two coves down during the night. Somehow, I managed to miss the two reefs between. I hope to avoid a similar experience in the future. I know that my ground tackle is vitally important to a good nights sleep and the health of my boat.

Back in the day I used to recover lost anchors. On one particularly memorable dive I went down to recover one for another boater and found two more in the process!
Old 02-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Xlantic wrote;
“Even though the Rocna has performed well, based on what I have read, I wish I had bought a Spade.”

The Spade is a class A anchor even now but when it was introduced it was different than all others (rare in anchoring) and had features like a hollow shank. I judge most all new anchors by the Spade.
However the Spade uses ballast and I still wonder about the advantages of ballast. I have my favorite anchors and on all of them I wish I had the knowledge to say whether the ballast on anchors is needed to make that specific design “behave”. Or perhaps it’s just to make them set better. But there are anchors that set as close to always as could ever be expected .. w/o any ballast. And why should they sacrifice fluke area for ballast that adds nothing. Most likely though they put ballast in to help keep an anchor set.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by T210DRVR View Post
On a best value basis which of the other plow style anchors would you recommend?
These should not be the variables that you factor for things like anchors, parachutes, or life rafts.

Nobody whose boat is sitting on the beach, ever says say "Well, at least I saved $200".
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
72-pound Rocna sat just fine in my GB 42 pulpit. CQR would never STAY set with me, so I trashed it. Rocna? WHOLE 'nother story, and a good one.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
The worst, cheapest anchor set properly with lots of scope will usually hold better than the best anchor not set properly on less than ideal scope.

An oversized worst, cheap anchor will usually hold better than an undersized best anchor. A big enough rock used for an anchor will probably hold too.

There is too much emphasis on having the "best anchor" that will magically keep you in place irregardless of skill or technique.

Many boaters consider and purchase anchors for the "bling" factor.

Anchor selection should be based on the type of bottom that you may encounter, whether anchoring in tidal conditions where the boat does an 180 every 6 hours, the strongest wind that may be encountered and other factors.

I see every conceivable anchor being deployed by other boats while we are anchored. Some that I would never choose. We don't see that many boats dragging when the wind picks up.

Most dragging we see are right after anchoring. The result of inadequate scope and/or poor setting or no setting at all.

Seasoned boaters have their favorite anchor and simply upsize as they move up in boat size. If you have the same brand anchor for a long time, you will become accustomed to it's setting, handling and ideocycracies.

There are a lot of boaters, mostly sailboaters, that use CQR's without issues. I'd try out your CQR before replacing it. Anchor somewhere, preferably with wind, earlier in the day and sit through 2 tide changes and see how the anchor behaves.

Instead of buying a new anchor, I'd go to all chain instead of the chain/rope rode that you have.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:33 PM   #17
Guru

Love my Spade anchor! Sets fast, doesn’t drag. My second primary anchor is an Al alloy Sarca Excel. Also a mighty fine anchor, and light enough to carry up to the bow when needed.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #18

City: Madrid
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The worst, cheapest anchor set properly with lots of scope will usually hold better than the best anchor not set properly on less than ideal scope.

An oversized worst, cheap anchor will usually hold better than an undersized best anchor. A big enough rock used for an anchor will probably hold too.

There is too much emphasis on having the "best anchor" that will magically keep you in place irregardless of skill or technique.

Many boaters consider and purchase anchors for the "bling" factor.

Anchor selection should be based on the type of bottom that you may encounter, whether anchoring in tidal conditions where the boat does an 180 every 6 hours, the strongest wind that may be encountered and other factors.

I see every conceivable anchor being deployed by other boats while we are anchored. Some that I would never choose. We don't see that many boats dragging when the wind picks up.

Most dragging we see are right after anchoring. The result of inadequate scope and/or poor setting or no setting at all.

Seasoned boaters have their favorite anchor and simply upsize as they move up in boat size. If you have the same brand anchor for a long time, you will become accustomed to it's setting, handling and ideocycracies.

There are a lot of boaters, mostly sailboaters, that use CQR's without issues. I'd try out your CQR before replacing it. Anchor somewhere, preferably with wind, earlier in the day and sit through 2 tide changes and see how the anchor behaves.

Instead of buying a new anchor, I'd go to all chain instead of the chain/rope rode that you have.
My anchoring fear is not that the anchor has not set . It is easy enough to check this by backing down under sufficient power.

What I fear is a 180 degree wind or tide shift in the middle of the night. When that happens it is up to the anchor to fend for itself as I am asleep and my anchoring skill (or lack of) will not matter.
grsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I am as cheap as they come but when it came time recently to upgrade my anchor because the one it came with was to small I chose the Rocna Vulcan 20kg, the Vulcan more since the roll bar would not work on my pulpit. I chose to pay a bit more for the peace of mind. The other on the short list was the Manson Boss but again it would not fit the pulpit as well as the Vulcan. I did have a Delta on my last boat and can't say I was disappointed in it. It never let me down. Anchors are not something you should have to change up on a regular basis so choose wisely and Good luck.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by grsanchez View Post
My anchoring fear is not that the anchor has not set . It is easy enough to check this by backing down under sufficient power.

What I fear is a 180 degree wind or tide shift in the middle of the night. When that happens it is up to the anchor to fend for itself as I am asleep and my anchoring skill (or lack of) will not matter.
That's why you should arrive at you anchorage earlier then later so that you can sit through two tide changes while still daylight and see what happens during the 180's. The anchor will have additional time to "snuggle in".

Also depends on the anchor. My Genuine Bruce 66 will corkscrew into the bottom with each 180. After anchoring for several days, the Bruce will be dug down to the point that only a portion of the shank will be above the bottom. Other similar anchors should do the same.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote