Seeking 80 lb Manson Supreme in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rain Dog

Vessel Name
Rain Dog
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
Does anyone know where to get an 80 lb Manson Supreme in the US? Seems like they are on closeout everywhere. Hoping someone has seen one somewhere. So far we have struck out trying to find one.

Try a MANTUS. I’ve used both and have an 85# Mantus today.

I had an 80# Supreme on my CSY44 and loved it. I currently have a 105# Mantus on my MV and love it as well. Give Mantus a look if you don't find the Supreme, you won't be sorry.

Cheers, Bill

85 lb Mantus will not fit our bow roller without modification, but might still go that route if we cannot find the Manson.

meridian,
Mr Rain Dog asked specifically for a Supreme.

Have you tried Fisheries Supply in Seattle.
Are you say’in WM is out of stock?

meridian,
Mr Rain Dog asked specifically for a Supreme.

Have you tried Fisheries Supply in Seattle.
Are you say’in WM is out of stock?

Fisheries does not seem to carry them. West Marine only has two sizes left 5lb and 100lb and they are both on closeout.

They are available on Amazon at great prices with free shipping, but they only go up to 60 lbs.

I owned 55 and 88# delta anchors that plowed, slowly but never the less plowed as tracked on my GPS. So I moved over to an 80# Manson Supreme that the Rain Dog seeks. This anchor is supposed to be one of the best......I wish I could support that claim. My setup for all anchors used on the boat so far is complemented with 5/16’’HT chain along with an over kill Maxwell HWC2200 windlass.

One of my failures occurred in shallow water, about 10’ at high tide with as much chain set out as the crowed harbor would permit, about 50’ feet. We enjoyed the anchorage for a couple of days when a 180 degree wind shift happened. At that time I was sitting at the helm enjoying the view until I was suddenly put into a state of panic as we to sailed away from others securely anchored.

I had to retrieve the anchor to clean the muck off before I could reset it. Another time I dropped the anchor, again in shallow water (different location) and it would not grab at all!!! I tried numerous times even retrieved it to be sure that it was not tangled in the chain. Gave up on that location and moved on.

Yeah I know, there will be replies telling me “you must have done something wrong.’’ Yeah again, but surprisingly my 25 years anchoring my old 30’ Hunter sailboat was a piece of cake. There I used a Bruce which was great until our harbors filled with ell grass. After that, the Bruce would pull up a 30-50# chunk of ocean bottom securely attached to it.

So my advise is be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
I'll echo what foggysail has said. I had a Manson Supreme 176lb on my last boat, oversized according to Manson. I dragged many, many times. I'm getting a Rocna this time around.

I couldn't find one available through any of our sources either. I realize you asked for a Manson, and understand what you are saying about the Mantus, I think the angles on the Mantus are different enough that fitment is an issue. We switched from a Manson supreme to a Rocna (not the Vulcan) and found that the fit was pretty similar, and never noticed a difference in performance. Just a thought.

I couldn't find one available through any of our sources either. I realize you asked for a Manson, and understand what you are saying about the Mantus, I think the angles on the Mantus are different enough that fitment is an issue. We switched from a Manson supreme to a Rocna (not the Vulcan) and found that the fit was pretty similar, and never noticed a difference in performance. Just a thought.

Thanks for checking. For reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of their anchors, I could never buy a Rocna. I think you are correct that would be the most logical option for us.

I think I will just go with a Mantus and modify the bowsprit.

I think I understand your issue with Rocna. What about a Spade? If I were buying a new anchor I would seriously consider a Spade as well.

I think I understand your issue with Rocna. What about a Spade? If I were buying a new anchor I would seriously consider a Spade as well.

I agree to this .. both the Rocna input and the Spade.
Check out anchor setting vids. Steve tested the Spade early on.

Last edited:
Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the issue with Rocna?

Rain Dog,
You may want to look at this thread;
What’s up with Manson?
It’s on page three of “Anchors and Anchoring”

It’s an earlier thread that is probably highly related to yours.

Last edited:
Your business

Fisheries does not seem to carry them. West Marine only has two sizes left 5lb and 100lb and they are both on closeout.

They are available on Amazon at great prices with free shipping, but they only go up to 60 lbs.

We are n year three with our 50k pound ocean Alexander, using a 60 pound Manson. I have never wanted for more and can’t imagine 20 more pounds being that much better, if any.

Gordon

I have a very good condition 85lb Mantus for sale in the classifieds, it is an amazing anchor. But it didn't fit on the new boat.

SW Florida location.

I do really like the spade. They are very attractive and I have heard nothing but great things about them. Unfortunately, they are much more expensive than the Mantus, but I would still seriously consider one.

I have a very good condition 85lb Mantus for sale in the classifieds, it is an amazing anchor. But it didn't fit on the new boat.

SW Florida location.

That looks like the bargain of a lifetime. Someone already beat me to it.

Ok, I’ll bite. What’s the issue with Rocna?

There was a period about 10 years ago where a Rocna representative was very active on these forums. His behavior left such a bad impression on me I am permanently prejudiced against Rocna.

As far as I know, this person is no longer affiliated with the company and I believe their anchors are as good as any others, but they are not for me.

I am aware this is an irrational bias on my part, but I am fine with that. IMHO - Mantus, Rocna, Spade, Manson Supreme, and many others are basically all the same for all practical purposes. I would sleep well in a gale with any of them as my anchor. So for me, the choice comes down to price, aesthetics, bias, and what fits on my bow roller.

Thanks for clearing things up for me

Yes .... Smith
Full of himself.
But I think he is still representing the product.

Then there’s the slimey mud issue ..
and the short scope issue ..

But I could be attracted to a used Vulcan. Used because it gets Smith far enough in the distance. But the Boss may be a better anchor.

Last edited:
We have the same anchor on our boat, it only took a couple of hours and a saws-all to make it fit! :D

:D that was my plan as well, but I found a 100lb Manson Boss (no roll bar) on clearance for $600 and free shipping.

I couldn't pass it up.

I'll echo what foggysail has said. I had a Manson Supreme 176lb on my last boat, oversized according to Manson. I dragged many, many times. I'm getting a Rocna this time around.

This is in response to foggysail as well. And, twistedtree, it was I who purchased your 88# Manson Supreme several years ago.

We are just now completing a Great Loop along which we have anchored many nights and in many conditions. Only once could we not get a set and that was in the Georgian Bay where the bottom can sometimes be shallow mud over solid granite. No anchor will set in solid rock. But, here is a recent experience that may raise your eyebrows.

Just two days ago I ran us into a shoal because of 30 seconds of inattention. A 30 MPH wind had pushed the boat out of the channel and I was unable to recover quickly enough. It was low tide so I thought to wait for the tide to rise and float free. Unfortunately, every time I did float free the wind would drive me back against the shoal. It was an impossible situation.

So, to keep me in place while waiting for Towboat US, I dropped the anchor hoping it would keep me in place although I had no confidence it would set. To my surprise the anchor set almost immediately with about 25 feet of chain out, no more than a 2:1 scope. It held for 1.5 hours against a swift current and that 30 MPH wind. I have no explanation as to why the anchor set and held against all expectations anyone would have. So, I am a fan of the Manson Supreme. I'm not saying that a Mantus or a Rocna would not be a better performer. I am saying that the Manson has worked for me.

This is in response to foggysail as well. And, twistedtree, it was I who purchased your 88# Manson Supreme several years ago.

We are just now completing a Great Loop along which we have anchored many nights and in many conditions. Only once could we not get a set and that was in the Georgian Bay where the bottom can sometimes be shallow mud over solid granite. No anchor will set in solid rock. But, here is a recent experience that may raise your eyebrows.

Just two days ago I ran us into a shoal because of 30 seconds of inattention. A 30 MPH wind had pushed the boat out of the channel and I was unable to recover quickly enough. It was low tide so I thought to wait for the tide to rise and float free. Unfortunately, every time I did float free the wind would drive me back against the shoal. It was an impossible situation.

So, to keep me in place while waiting for Towboat US, I dropped the anchor hoping it would keep me in place although I had no confidence it would set. To my surprise the anchor set almost immediately with about 25 feet of chain out, no more than a 2:1 scope. It held for 1.5 hours against a swift current and that 30 MPH wind. I have no explanation as to why the anchor set and held against all expectations anyone would have. So, I am a fan of the Manson Supreme. I'm not saying that a Mantus or a Rocna would not be a better performer. I am saying that the Manson has worked for me.

Some anchors will always set sometimes.

Small world.

I had no trouble with the Manson on my Grand Banks, which is why I got one on the Nordhavn. Perhaps it's a deep vs shallow anchoring thing. I'm not sure. But I never want to drag again, so am getting the biggest mother ferking anchor I can (330 lbs), and the one that other's with the same boat say never drags. But I think claims of never dragging might be like claims of gas mileage, and other sordid items, i.e. always over stated.

Catalina Jack wrote;
" I have no explanation as to why the anchor set and held against all expectations anyone would have. So, I am a fan of the Manson Supreme. I'm not saying that a Mantus or a Rocna would not be a better performer. I am saying that the Manson has worked for me."

IMO if you set into a good bottom most anchors will do fairly well against moderate loads even at short scope. But the Supreme seems to be the king for holding at short scope. You may have been one of the guys that say "I never anchor at short scope". But given time all of us will be in a situation where you'll need some good short scope performance. The Rocna bests the Supreme at long scope buy some but not much however most of us will never need that much holding power. I'm think'in well beyond 50 knots wind. Probably because of my time in SE Alaska I'll take my "racers edge" at the short scope end.
The Rocna man says set hard at 5-1 and then shorten up. But if you did that w a Supreme you'd still be ahead of the Rocna.

But with modern anchors lacking performance at either end is unusual. The new performance standard is setting ability and Steve G left us w a great tool to evaluate what anchors do well at short scope. Thank you Steve and wish you were still here. Most all other anchor tests tell only about all out holding power .. at long scope. But one could say setting ability is more important given the biggest variable of all .. the seafloor.

Back
Top Bottom