Seeking 80 lb Manson Supreme in USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twistedtree wrote:
"But I think claims of never dragging might be like claims of gas mileage, and other sordid items, i.e. always over stated."

I've said that over the years several times and it is true.
BUT I've had a great deal of trouble setting and done a lot of dragging trying that. And when I say I've not ever dragged I mean after final setting is done and I didn't drag through the night. And also I'm very careful about my setting technique. Easy for me to do as I always anchor manually up on the bow. But the real reason I've not dragged is because most of my anchoring has been done in SE Alaska where in the summer most all anchorages are very calm. Most all the time I wouldn't have dragged w a big mushroom anchor.

I think the most important element of anchor performance is in the setting.

And when I say I've not ever dragged I mean after final setting is done and I didn't drag through the night.

I think the most important element of anchor performance is in the setting.

95% of the time my wife dives the anchor to visually inspect it. We also have the good luck of anchoring in places with near perfect holding ground 95% of the time. We have only dragged once after a final set. That was a time we did not visually inspect the anchor (due to current and visibility). Based on what the anchor did and how it looked it was a bottom with a thin layer of weed and sand over rock. We thought it was set originally because the weeds held the anchor. Once the wind piped up over 30 knots the weeds ripped out of the ground and we started to drag.

There were two anchorages we could not get a final set and had to move. All three of these things happened in the lower Keys. Seems to be lots of sand over rock (or just rock) there.

Last edited:
To update the original post, I finally heard back from Manson. They said they could ship me an 80lb Supreme. Delivered it would have been about the same cost as a Rocna or Spade.

By the time I heard back from them (it took them several weeks) I had already bought an 85lb Mantus. With the current Mantus sale, it is about $400 cheaper than the Manson/Rocna/Spade.

Last edited:
To update the original post, I finally heard back from Manson. They said they could ship me an 80lb Supreme. Delivered it would have been about the same cost as a Rocna or Spade.

By the time I heard back from them (it took them several weeks) I had already bought an 85lb Mantus. With the current Mantus sale, it is about $400 cheaper than the Manson/Rocna/Spade.

Your boat is about the same size as ours. We’ve been very happy with our 85 pound Mantus so far. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom