Secondary Anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blarg21

Vessel Make
Luhrs 400 Tournament
Hello all again. SO my boat is almost out of the dry docks being repaired. What started off as getting fuel lines repaired also ended up with having a fuel tank lined due to a small hole in the bottom. Anyways my questions is this. I live over in the Choctowatchee Bay and here its a super muddy bottom. II already have a 30lb danforth anchor as my primary but what would yall recommend as a secondary / storm anchor?

Sounds like the bottom here in Washington, NC. Any time for a storm that we had to move boats from dock (mine was a 29 foot sailboat) I always used a plow type anchor, sized a size bigger than suggested for my boat, bruce type I think? I got it from Defender Marine. I watched a boat identical in type and size to mine with nothing but two danforths get blown aground and laid over in the shallow water and was basically totalled after that. I used the danforth if I was just anchoring for a little while, nice weather, etc.. but I had an anchor alarm app on my phone. Always used plow type if i intended to sleep, walk away from it for a couple days, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Ideally you'd get a Super Sarca.

Size depends mostly on your boat size.

I suggest making the ancient Danforth the secondary and buying something modern and high holding. A Super Sarca as suggested above, or Sarca Excel, but there are numerous modern improved anchors around. Other suggestions will surely follow.

Last edited:
I have a 44KG Mantus M1 main anchor, when it hooks you better be holding on. My spare is a Fortress 23 which I have never needed. The Delta plow that came with the boat was a fail.

I suggest making the ancient Danforth the secondary and buying something modern and high holding. A Super Sarca as suggested above, or Sarca Excel, but there are numerous modern improved anchors around. Other suggestions will surely follow.

I agree.... Danforths have great holding but a bad rep for initial grab. So bad as a primary for emergencies and day to day hooking. But for storms or a backup when you have the luxury of checking its bite...they are hard to beat.

A 30# Danforth is probably an "S" version.

The "H" versions are far stronger and way better for overnight use.

I suggest you replace it. Tho it would be a fine stern anchor.

The second anchor should be a different style , CQR , Herrishoff for other bottom areas.

Anchors seldom wear out , they become fad items, so look for a large used anchor , about $2.00 a pound seems fair.

Last edited:
I live over in the Choctowatchee Bay and here its a super muddy bottom. II already have a 30lb danforth anchor as my primary but what would yall recommend as a secondary / storm anchor?

If it's slimy/thin mud, we've had good luck with Fortress and with SuperMAX. Both adjustable for mud. A Fortress of the same weight as a Danforth would be significantly larger.

I don't do secondary/storm/lunch etc. The mounted anchor is THE anchor.

Although I do also keep spares aboard. :) Actually, we had the SuperMAX on the bow, and the Fortress stowed as our best spare... because they dismantle and stow so easily.

NOT Delta in thin/slimy/soupy mud. Dunno about others, but many of the boat tests (S/V Panope videos, Noelex photos, Fortress Chesapeake mud tests, etc.) suggest many of the modern anchors fail in slimy/soupy mud.

-Chris

Last edited:

I second (or third, fourth) this recommendations. The more modern/high performance anchors are more reliable at resetting than the Danforth which is highly desirable in a primary anchor. The Danforth is a good performer for a stern or storm anchor and they can be stored pretty easily, the railing mounts work very well with them and it keeps them close at hand.

There is endless threads debating which is the best anchor, enough to keep you occupied through winter. I'm happy with my rocna vulcan but there are plenty of good options out there, personally I don't care for Deltas, it's about the only anchor I would avoid.

I don't do secondary/storm/lunch etc. The mounted anchor is THE anchor.

Agreed. "Storm Anchor" gets bantered around a bit lightly. A true storm anchor for 20-25K Lb boat would be 100+ lbs. They are used to ride out a hurricane on anchor. IF this is not what one is thinking, then please stop using the word 'storm anchor'.

I see no point in a 'lunch hook'. Thunderstorms pop out of nowhere. Why would anyone need or want an undersized anchor, just because you're not staying overnight?

When we anchor it is sometimes for weeks. We're not changing out anchors as the weather changes.

So, here's a question....

Suppose we get the OP the "perfect" primary anchor for his boat. Sarca, Vulcan, etc.

Now, for a secondary anchor, primarily for pending storms.

Would you mount it on another roller/chute next to the primary?
Assuming you had plenty of swing room, would you set it out several feet in advance of the primary, and tie it to the main anchor rode? Or use a Bahamian tie?

And when would you launch it? What kind of weather forecast would prompt you?

Agreed. "Storm Anchor" gets bantered around a bit lightly. A true storm anchor for 20-25K Lb boat would be 100+ lbs. They are used to ride out a hurricane on anchor. IF this is not what one is thinking, then please stop using the word 'storm anchor'.

I see no point in a 'lunch hook'. Thunderstorms pop out of nowhere. Why would anyone need or want an undersized anchor, just because you're not staying overnight?

When we anchor it is sometimes for weeks. We're not changing out anchors as the weather changes.

Fair point. I would keep the Danforth as a spare or contingency anchor. On boats without a dual anchor pulpit setup, a danforth is well suited if you feel compelled to use a bahamian mooring due to a tight anchorage or need to deploy a stern anchor. They provide a lot of holding power for their weight. If I was starting from scratch and cost wasn't an issue, I would choose a Fortress as it is easier to pull by hand but they are pricey and a if you already have a Danforth, I would use it for this purpose.

Probably makes more sense to folks who have no electric windlass... and for some reason want to stop the boat to eat. (I don't see much use in that, either.)

Assuming you had plenty of swing room, would you set it out several feet in advance of the primary, and tie it to the main anchor rode? Or use a Bahamian tie?

Given an easy choice, I'd mount it on another roller next to the other anchor. And I'd consider both "storm" anchors, which one to use at any given time to be selected based on holding ground make-up.

I don't have any experience with deploying mulltiple anchors at the same time. No insight.

-Chris

Oh man, way more replies than I thought I would get on this lol. The previous owner used this anchor all the time over in Mobile Bay but im not sure it would work over here. And if I had to anchor the boat out for a hurricane, I know that anchor wouldn't hold all to well.

Unclematt;1067264[B said:
]I have a 44KG Mantus M1 main anchor, when it hooks you better be holding on.[/B]

Wow, you have a 44KG(98lb) anchor on a 32' boat. That's a big anchor.

I have a 44KG Mantus M1 main anchor, when it hooks you better be holding on. My spare is a Fortress 23 which I have never needed. The Delta plow that came with the boat was a fail.

The Fleming 58 at 105,000 lbs displacement comes standard with a 45kg ultra anchor so that’s a lot of anchor you have!

As Ranger46c writes;
“If it's slimy/thin mud, we've had good luck with Fortress and with SuperMAX. Both adjustable for mud. A Fortress of the same weight as a Danforth would be significantly larger.”

The Super Max could be the best for this “thin mud” but they are heavy. In “Choctowatchoee Bay” a Max could be perfect. Would need a good winch to handle the weight. The Max (I think) was actually created for mud. And I know of no other .. in that regard. But a Fortress 1/4 the weight may hold as well. But may not set as dependably. But veering and reversing would be far better w the Max. IMO

Last edited:
Oh man, way more replies than I thought I would get on this lol. The previous owner used this anchor all the time over in Mobile Bay but im not sure it would work over here. And if I had to anchor the boat out for a hurricane, I know that anchor wouldn't hold all to well.
"A" stands for Anchor, and for Avalanche,(of replies). Hope it all helps. :)

My mistake on the 44KG it is a 45 LB anchor. I struggle with metrics.

Nomad Willy, a Luhrs 400 Tournament is a 40ft solid fiberglass sportfish. Its the same hull as a Silverton 40.

So, here's a question....
Suppose we get the OP the "perfect" primary anchor for his boat. Sarca, Vulcan, etc.

I added a second roller for my secondary anchor. Pics below. The one in my garage is when I was setting it up and shows it clearer. than the picture of it on the boat. The primary (35 Danforth high tensile) was all chain, secondary (44 Delta) was 20 feet of chain and 5/8ths 3 strand.
I set out both anchors on many occasions.
If the storm was predicted to stay in the same direction, I'd set them maybe 30 degrees apart and at different lengths. Each on their respective roller.

If I was anchored somewhere with "iffy" holding or a very crowded anchorage (think Block Island), I might just drop the second 20 feet off the bow and set it, then let out some rode. This would protect me if someone tripped the main, which happens a lot at Block (very shallow water). I would do this if we were going to be away from the boat for any length of time.

So, it's not always weather that determines when I set out a second anchor. Sometimes it's situation. But the preference is always one (my ancient and reliable Danforth), so I swing with the crowd.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    IMG_10401 (7).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
My mistake on the 44KG it is a 45 LB anchor. I struggle with metrics.

I was always confused too until I had to lift weights for my sport. Living in Europe at the time, everything was in KG but they were exact same plate sizes as the US. So 20kg plate was 45lbs. Just multiple (or divide) by 2.2. Double it and add 10% to go from kg to pounds.

Also, in anywhere other than the UK and North America, you can't drive at 50 or 60mph in town, or 100mph on the open road..! Sirens will quickly follow you.

Sorry, thread hijack in the interests of safety now over...:D

SV Panope has just posted his 131st anchor test video.These are by far the best anchor tests I've ever seen. The top scoring anchor is a new comer - the Viking. Theres a chart at the end of the video showing all the test results in different bottoms. The Viking does very well in soft mud bottoms like yours as well as more typical bottoms. He doesn't include the Danforth since it's not a great all around anchor - although very good in one pull direction - especially mud. I would consider making your Danforth your secondary anchor and use a different one as primary that is more likely to reset after a wind or current change.

Interesting that the Rocna performed so poorly in this test. I have a 55 lb Rocna and it’s never failed to stick and hold, except for one 40 knot blow in the Bahamas where I had trouble getting it to stick in some sand. Maybe it doesn’t like sand.

We use a 50Kg CLAW anchor on 400 ft. of 1/2" chain when things get BAD regardless of the bottoms.

LOOK up S/V Panope on Youtube. He does extensive anchor testing and underwater videos of anchor behavior and performance. highly instructional and recommended viewing for all boaters. I wound up with a Mantus for my 42 foot trawler, but all the new designs perform pretty darned well. Good Luck!

Match it. Don’t get wishy washy. You know what you’re getting and what it’ll do. If you’re throwing out a second anchor it’s likely because you are anticipating weather or already in it. Make it easy.

Back
Top Bottom