Old 04-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

City: Oriental
Second anchor roller

I did a quick search through postings and didn't really come up with this being discussed before. I am looking at the pros and cons of storing my second anchor in a anchor roller next to the one that I already have on my bow. That way it is much easier to deploy just by switching the my anchor chain.My 32ft Nordic tug does not have a bow pulpit. It does have 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker. I do have a rigid Dyer dink that is held off the swim platform with weaver davits so it seems to balance out the extra weight on the bow.
Any thoughts appreciated

Rich

Rightcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
On my sailboat I carry a second anchor on the sprit rigged to its own rode. In 12 years and 15,000 miles, it's never been used. If your primary anchor is a modern design correctly sized, I wouldn't bother, unless there is no where else to keep it.

DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
Guru

I have two on my pulpit. I added a piece of wood as shown in the pcs below.
When we cruised in Canada we used the Delta because it's pretty weedy and Danforths don't do well in weeds. But around LI Sound it's muddy so I like the Danforth for most of my cruising.
I've deployed a second anchor on several occasions. Not really sure it was necessary, but when it becomes necessary it's usually too late.
Also great for short scope situations, it's handy so I just do it.
Hope this helps.

NO intent on making this an anchor style post. Just making the point that if you carry a second anchor a different type is sometimes wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	101534   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_10401 (7).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	101535  
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
Guru

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Hi Rich,

A previous boat of mine did not have a pulpit either. I made a mock up out of wood and had the one in the photo made at a local machine shop. The main roller was used for the 44 lb. Delta. While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor. It worked very well for us.

The first photo is fabrication in the shop. Second is several years later. The windlass had been removed for servicing. The third one is because I like the sunset in Quisset Harbor, Falmouth, MA

Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	101553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	101554   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	101555  
Old 04-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

City: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Hi Rich,

A previous boat of mine did not have a pulpit either. I made a mock up out of wood and had the one in the photo made at a local machine shop. The main roller was used for the 44 lb. Delta. While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor. It worked very well for us.

The first photo is fabrication in the shop. Second is several years later. The windlass had been removed for servicing. The third one is because I like the sunset in Quisset Harbor, Falmouth, MA

Rob

That's some nice SS work!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightcourt View Post
I did a quick search through postings and didn't really come up with this being discussed before. I am looking at the pros and cons of storing my second anchor in a anchor roller next to the one that I already have on my bow. That way it is much easier to deploy just by switching the my anchor chain.My 32ft Nordic tug does not have a bow pulpit. It does have 150 ft of chain in the anchor locker. I do have a rigid Dyer dink that is held off the swim platform with weaver davits so it seems to balance out the extra weight on the bow.
Any thoughts appreciated

Rich
Welcome aboard. We have a Fortress anchor as a backup. I have been storing it on the bow rail but we never have used it so I may start storit in the deck box on the bow. Donít have a close up photo so this is the best one I have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3B1295B5-5062-41A7-B404-5ABBB23A731E.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	101558  
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:21 AM   #7

City: Oriental
Double anchor rollers

Thanks for the quick reply and the pics..Your sunset pic took me back to times when we use to visit Cuttyhunk and Block Island while in RI. Now in Oriental, mooring ball are few. But I do like the idea of running the mooring line through the anchor roller without disturbing the primary anchor. My idea of a second anchor roller was to be able to SWITCH easily between a Bruce anchor and say a Delta or Rocna. Not deploying 2 anchors at once.

Rightcourt
Rightcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #8

City: Beaufort
Vessel Name: Endeavor
Vessel Model: 2003 Nordic Tug 37

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	101573
37 Nordic Tug, primary anchor chain, secondary chain and rode. Only used two hunkered down for Hurricane.
Captain Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #9
Guru

City: South Florida
2 with rode ready to go. The plow goes through the pulpit and the Danforth out in front

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of MSI for sale 011.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	101575  
Keysdisease is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Guru

City: Canaveral
Quote:
While I always carry a second anchor my primary reason for the dual roller was so I could pick up a mooring without dismounting the anchor.
That's an interesting idea to run the mooring line through, but wouldn't the boat sail around less in the wind with the mooring line coming slightly off-center from the hawser hole or bow cleat?
makobuilders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
That's an interesting idea to run the mooring line through, but wouldn't the boat sail around less in the wind with the mooring line coming slightly off-center from the hawser hole or bow cleat?
I don't know!

Rob
Old 04-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
That's some nice SS work!
Credit goes to Brian Watrous, Watrous Brothers Machine Mystic, CT.

He did all the forming and welding of the 1/4" 316 L plate. The bollard was made of heavy wall pipe.

Brian fabricated then gave it to me to polish. In grinding down the welds not one bit of slag or pitting was found. Once ground and polished it looked like one piece. I did the polishing with "3M" type pads from coarse to fine on a DeWalt angle grinder.

Rob
Old 04-18-2020, 08:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Credit goes to Brian Watrous, Watrous Brothers Machine Mystic, CT.

He did all the forming and welding of the 1/4" 316 L plate. The bollard was made of heavy wall pipe.

Brian fabricated then gave it to me to polish. In grinding down the welds not one bit of slag or pitting was found. Once ground and polished it looked like one piece. I did the polishing with "3M" type pads from coarse to fine on a DeWalt angle grinder.Rob

Cool! My wife and I do metal sculpture work, lots of SS. We also do cutting and design work for other people. If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish! Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .
Old 04-18-2020, 08:39 AM   #14
Guru

If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish! Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .[/QUOTE]

Almost a direct quote from Brian!

Rob
Old 04-18-2020, 09:52 PM   #15

Quote:
If I just cut and drop on the ground, the price is WAY lower than if I clean up and polish! Can't stand grinding and polishing . . .
Almost a direct quote from Brian!

Rob[/QUOTE]

Yup, SS is a bear to work with!