Which Rocna or Mantus M1?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
Anchors have changed so much in the past 10 years. I have a 45 foot vessel. I an going to buy a 65# anchor. It’s going to buy either the Rocna or the Mantus M1.
Would like to know those who have these which one is better regarded?

Both are well liked, although with the larger, less clog prone roll bar, the Mantus is a bit better liked by some.

In terms of sizes, they make different jumps. Both make a 55 lb anchor, but Mantus then goes to 65 and then 85. Rocna goes from 55 to 73, then 88 lbs. Both do publish fluke area for comparison purposes.

Realistically, I'd pull up the dimensions for both (probably the 65 lb Mantus and 73 lb Rocna) and do some measuring to see if one will fit the boat better than the other. If one fits better, or you can fit a size bigger in one vs the other, that might make your decision for you.

Both are well liked, although with the larger, less clog prone roll bar, the Mantus is a bit better liked by some.

In terms of sizes, they make different jumps. Both make a 55 lb anchor, but Mantus then goes to 65 and then 85. Rocna goes from 55 to 73, then 88 lbs. Both do publish fluke area for comparison purposes.

Realistically, I'd pull up the dimensions for both (probably the 65 lb Mantus and 73 lb Rocna) and do some measuring to see if one will fit the boat better than the other. If one fits better, or you can fit a size bigger in one vs the other, that might make your decision for you.

Good point about the physical fit.

I have the 73 pound Rocna 33 on my 41' President. It works fantastic and we anchor out almost every weekend.

I have the 73 pound Rocna 33 on my 41' President. It works fantastic and we anchor out almost every weekend.

Just curious, what size chain do you use?

The 3/8 chain, but I am not sure if it is the BBB or HT.
I matched it to my Lofrans Tigres Windlass

FWIW, I'm using 5/16" G43 chain with my 73lb / 33kg Rocna Vulcan. I'm a slightly smaller, lighter boat, however.

FWIW, I'm using 5/16" G43 chain with my 73lb / 33kg Rocna Vulcan. I'm a slightly smaller, lighter boat, however.

I thought I could use 5/16 but my windlass is set up for 3/8. Never had that heavy of rigging but don’t want to spend the $250 to change out the gypsy.

What windlass do you have? If you want to save weight, some will take 5/16" G70 on a 3/8" gypsy (the G70 links are longer). I know my Maxwell has a gypsy for 5/16" BBB and G43, then another for 3/8" BBB, G43, 5/16" G70. And both take a couple of other types too.

What windlass do you have? If you want to save weight, some will take 5/16" G70 on a 3/8" gypsy (the G70 links are longer). I know my Maxwell has a gypsy for 5/16" BBB and G43, then another for 3/8" BBB, G43, 5/16" G70. And both take a couple of other types too.

Thanks. I will look into that. 5/16 is a pound a foot where 3/8 is a pound and a half per foot. Times 200’. Yikes[emoji844]

Thanks. I will look into that. 5/16 is a pound a foot where 3/8 is a pound and a half per foot. Times 200’. Yikes[emoji844]

An extra 100 lbs on the bow of a 37' boat? Not sure that's even going to be felt in ANY situation . . . :popcorn:

Have the Rocna. In my travels see about 10 Rocna per 1 Mantus on the bows of both sail and power. You will most likelihood never take an anchor apart. There’s little or no real world reason to do so. The Rocna is the best anchor I’ve ever owned. Even works well on short scope. However if to do again probably get a spade. Don’t mind the bolt there as virtually no force is placed on it.

Last edited:
The 3/8 chain, but I am not sure if it is the BBB or HT.
I matched it to my Lofrans Tigres Windlass

Do you have a photo that shows the anchor in the pulpit? I am not sure if it would fit on my boat or not. So I would like to see if your pulpit is like mine or not.

We went with the Mantus 55 and bought their swivel S3. 5/8 inch.
I made my purchase based on YouTube videos of mantus compared to other anchors.
We anchored in Matanzas inlet for a weekend. Current ripped in and out couple times a day. Never moved. 10 feet water and maybe 3.5 to 1.
I'm sure others are just as good. Could be a Ford Chevy thing. We've been very pleased with the Mantus. M1 btw. I hear the M2 has issues. 20200804_163411.jpeg

I’ve only tried the Mantus M1, but so far I’m a member of the fan club for sure. I’ve got the 65 pounder for a 44’ 30,000 ish pound boat. Generic swivel, and I’m not actually sure what size chain.

I had the Rocna Vulcan--no roll bar. Was a great anchor.
Agree with seeing what will fit best on your pulpit.

We replaced the original anchor (100# plow) with a 125# Mantus M1. Very satisfied. Mantus provides templates on their web site, which I used to make a cardboard mock-up to make sure it would fit, deploy and recover correctly. Rocna seems equivalent but was more expensive and looked like it would not fit as well.

Anchors have changed so much in the past 10 years. I have a 45 foot vessel. I an going to buy a 65# anchor. It’s going to buy either the Rocna or the Mantus M1.
Would like to know those who have these which one is better regarded?

Personally, I would suggest none of the above, because I think over all, in speed of setting, holding power, and quick and reliable re-setting on tide reversals, the Super Sarca, if your pulpit arrangement will take a roll bar, or if not, the Sarca Excel, might well just have the edge over the others, even though they are all pretty good, and they are now available in the US and Canada.
Why Anchor Right Australia is set apart from the rest - Anchor Right Australia

However, I must admit some bias, as I just loved my S-Sarca, and it never let me down - and yes, I always used it with the tripping slot, because for the odd time it fouled, (and you never know when), it saved the day. :)

Given these two anchors I’d buy the Rocna.
Never liked it because I don’t like the head man and the company that pumped out mild steel anchors. And the Rocna has been tested extensively .. it’s not perfect but it’s a good anchor.

The Mantus is likewise a distasteful company w their misleading videos dragging little anchors along the beach. Been awhile but it left a bad taste.
And then there’s the long shank. There’s a good chance it is dynamically good feature but it seems to me to be a weakness .. structurally. Too long. One thing’s certain and that is that it’s not mild steel as I have yet (astonishingly IMO) to read or heard of a bent shank. Perhaps I shouldn’t criticize it. It may be made of material stronger that other anchors. Kriptonite?

I’m sticking to the OP’s question or I’d recommend another anchor.

Last edited:
I wonder if the long shank gives more leverage to rotate the fluke (for a given amount of pull on the chain), so the anchor rotates sooner and has less side loading on the shank?

rslifkin,
Other anchors have long shanks too.
Danforths, CQR’s and my old Dreadnought come to mind.

On the high performance forged shank Danforth anchors they are even longer and skinnier than the Mantus. Occasionally I see a slightly bent Danforth shank but only slightly. The skinny shank is Primarily a penetration/performance factor.
Re the Dreadnought it was an attempt to help chain keep the shank down during setting and to some extent after. But the shank is big/beefy and the working end of the anchor is not large in diameter. Should be relatively easy to rotate. Unlike the Danforth.

Shanks are frequently very much into the functional aspect of anchoring dynamics. And if the shank on the Mantus is strong enough the Mantus could be better than I thought.

On the Mantus the shank is long mostly or entirely to rotate the fluke (also long) necessary re wind and current. So w much penetration, and it looks like the Mantus fluke is capable of considerable penetration it would be necessary to side load the shank to high levels. Again I’m supprised I haven’t heard or seen of a bent Mantus shank.

Last edited:
I didn't know the head man was a bad guy. I found the videos on the beach more of a performance test comparison type deal.
Ford Chevy. I'm sure they're both good.

But then others prefer a sarca,,others would rather a Manson supreme, some an ultra and others a house brick.

Gee, some even go to farm implements.

Personally, I think any new gen pick will be awesome compared to the previous lot of draggers.

Personally, I think any new gen pick will be awesome compared to the previous lot of draggers.

Yup. And this is why I always suggest measuring before deciding which model to buy, as one just might fit better than the others.

The Mantus has bolts protruding into the concave part of the scoop fluke. Hard to imagine it’s less prone to mud impaction than other anchors. The bolts should catch the mud and start a mud buildup. But the M1 has a raised portion of the top of the fluke tip. Perhaps it acts like a spoiler on an aircraft wing causing “turbulence” that reduces impaction. Again I miss the anchor tests.

Pmcsurf1,
I can’t find the misleading video I saw in the past. I think it was when Mantus anchors were new on the market. A man was on the beach pulling a little anchor over the sand/mud. He had a 1/4” (about) line in his hand about 8’ long. He pulled the Mantus and the Rocna. The Mantus dug right in but the Rocna skipped along making no attempt to dig in. He was’nt pulling them the same and he was almost dancing like it was a joke. I think it was.
Can’t remember how he was pulling them differently. I was disgusted at the time seeing it as clearly mis-representing the Rocna. And I’m not accustomed to sticking up for Rocna.
Can anyone point to an anchor test that includes set testing the Mantus? I see a few minutes ago an ad saying the M2 Mantus sets “first time every time”. It appears they didn’t test over soft mud bottoms. The anchor has failed in the marketplace.
I probably shouldn’t have said the “head guy” was a “bad” guy as I wasn’t positive the guy in the video was the head guy. He may not even been working for Mantus .. the company. But the guy was representing Mantus and the company posted the misleading video.

But since I viewed the video many have posted about their M1 Mantus anchor’s good performance. So they are clearly “pretty good”. I wouldn’t say to a friend “naw don’t buy that thing” I know of a better anchor. But if he asked for my opinion I’d give it as I’m giving it here.

I thought the “test” on the beach w the little anchors was a misleading stunt .. not professional at all. Still think so but the product may be fine. But their marketing was flawed ... IMO. And internet forums is a place for opinions.

Last edited:
Personally I would go bigger than #65. Not just for weight but for fluke area that will hold better in mud. Why not you don't have to lift it?
I have anchored in all kids of bottoms and conditions and the security of a bog anchor to keep the earth from moving is wonderful.

We have the Rocna Vulcan (no roller bar) and love it. Have anchored extensively all through the Bahamas, and most of the islands all the way to Grenada. We looked at their sizing chart, then went up one on the chart. We're big believers in the "buy all the anchor your boat can manage" theory. We have never once had the anchor drag once it was properly set.

Brian yes I’ve never heard anything negative about the Vulcan.
I gave it some consideration myself but these people made mild steel anchors in the past.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom